OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 19:32

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2008, 12:45 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
speedplay wrote:
Younger players could pick up a sheet of Super Block qand use it, until they reached a certain level, then they would be forced to change to a completely different rubber, most likely getting beaten

The official ITTF position is in this order:
1. Quit TT
2. Wallow in your own sorrow
3. Form a competing organization
4. Submit

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2008, 12:51 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Adham, what do you think of this idea to help promote TT worldwide:

It would be great for either the ITTF or some of our national associations, to come up with a promotional video, specifically targeting new players or players that don't play at clubs...

It could include some highly impirational clips of great or funny matches, but also include some basics, and emphasise how much fun it can be at much lower levels... It should also highlight the other benefits, such as low cost, good exercise, great social aspect, etc...

It can be released on DVD/CD, and should be free or very cheap so that clubs can bear the cost and send it to potential people for free, but should also be posted on video sites such as youtube...

Is this something the ITTF could get involved in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2008, 13:01 
King of Ping!

speedplay wrote:
Can't help but laugh a little bit, as I have read the Tensor/speed glue/boosters/frictionless questions and answers several times already.

I understand everyone's concern and I respect Adhams patience when he tries to explain the same thing all over again.

A couple of things I don't respect/like is, the constant use of the word majority decision in the name of democracy. Isn't one of the fundamentals for democracy that the majority can't make a decision that harms the minority? Obviously, I'm against the ban of frictionless. A majority of the players use double inverted and since they struggle against frictionless they wants them banned and get their will through. Clearly a case were the majority uses their numbers to hurt the minority.

Another thing I don't like is the constant suggestions to either create a federation of our own, were we can play by our own rules or try to convince our national associations to have different rules then the ones made by the ITTF. Creating our own federation would be a disaster, if we ever managed to get it big enough as that would give us two different organisations for the same sport, more or less. Convincing our national associations to approve frictionless at lower levels would also be a disaster, if you ask me. Cause, how much harm would this do the defensive style? Younger players could pick up a sheet of Super Block qand use it, until they reached a certain level, then they would be forced to change to a completely different rubber, most likely getting beaten (at least to begin with) and grow tired and quit. So, the defensive style would/could be harmed by this while our young, double inverted players would be forced to get used to play against frictionless when they are new to the game (and might struggle a lot with it) but once they have gained enough skills to actually be able to play against it, then they won't have to as they are banned at that level.

Enough with equipment rants for now, on to a rule question we have discussed here before;

The serve toss should be 16cm high, and the ball should be visible at all time, correct?

It's the players responsibility to serve in such a way so the umpire can see that it's a legal serve, correct?

Now to the question, does this mean that the umpire should be able to see the ball the entire time, or is it enough if my opponent can see it?

Another rule question, might sound silly, but I'm still curious, is it allowed to play with gloves?

As you may or may not know, I introduced the debate and the discussion about the service rule about 8 years ago, then some proposals were made by national associations until some rules were changed. My main concern, and that of many o my colleagues was that only in TT the service was allowed to be hidden. In all other racket sports the service is open. So although it may seem very simple to imagine an open service in TT, you will not imagine how many experts inside the ITTF struggled to get the right wording. Now to answer your question based on the current rule, the Umpire must make sure that the RECEIVER sees the ball at all times. So if the free arm of the server is removed to clear the line of vision of the received, the ball is higher than the surface of the table, the umpires judges that the ball is not hidden by the body of the player, etc., then it's a good service. At the top level the umpire and the player have found a "comfort zone" or a level of tolerance acceptable to both sides. In fact, all the top players have told me that now they can see the ball during service and it is much easier to read the spin.

There is no specific rule against wearing gloves. But the Tournament Referee has the right to ask a player to remove them if the Referee thinks that the gloves (or anything else) is objectionable or disturbing to the opponent. But frankly, I have only seen players practice with gloves but not play matches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2008, 13:06 
King of Ping!

zrrbiteDK wrote:
Dear Mr. Adham Sharara,

Would you mind posting a list of forums that you visit and are active on? You're naturally a busy man, and i'd like to follow up on discussions on other boards that might not be persued here.

Thank you.
Kind regards, Martin

- This one (one of a kind)
- Forum de Tenis masa, http://www.tenisdemasa.ro/forum/index.php
- My Table tennis Forum (very aggressive and angry people there)
- TT-News Forum (German but English thread) http://forum.tt-news.de/forumdisplay.php?f=16
- TableTennisNetwork.com , http://www.tabletennisnetwork.com/Table ... m/tabid/99

I try to answer questions on all of the above Forum. But I am getting a lot of abuse and a lot of rudeness in one particular Forum, but it's OK, I can live with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2008, 13:09 
King of Ping!

haggisv wrote:

It would be great for either the ITTF or some of our national associations, to come up with a promotional video, specifically targeting new players or players that don't play at clubs...

It could include some highly impirational clips of great or funny matches, but also include some basics, and emphasise how much fun it can be at much lower levels... It should also highlight the other benefits, such as low cost, good exercise, great social aspect, etc...

It can be released on DVD/CD, and should be free or very cheap so that clubs can bear the cost and send it to potential people for free, but should also be posted on video sites such as youtube...

Yes, this is a great idea. I promise you we will do it in 2009.

We have already done this for sponsors, on a commercial basis, showing them how they can benefit from sponsoring TT. As you know a few years ago we had only TT manufacturers as sponsors of ITTF events. Now we have companies such as Volkswagen, Liebherr, China Unicom, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2008, 13:19 
King of Ping!

Unfortunately my mother had an unfortunate accident today. I spend most of my time in the hospital, I canceled all my travel, so I will not be able to visit Forums for a while.

Sorry about that. I hope to come back soon.

Adham

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2008, 13:23 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
This is a SUPER Idea!
Adham, if it is cheap enough, I can continue with trying to spread table tennis through the schools with a professional video. Maybe make it free to promote the sport? Or atleast free to colleges and schools, clubs, etc. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2008, 13:24 

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Very sorry to hear about your mother Adham, please come back when things are better.

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2008, 13:29 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

adham wrote:
haggisv wrote:

Yes, this is a great idea. I promise you we will do it in 2009.

We have already done this for sponsors, on a commercial basis, showing them how they can benefit from sponsoring TT. As you know a few years ago we had only TT manufacturers as sponsors of ITTF events. Now we have companies such as Volkswagen, Liebherr, China Unicom, etc.

Wow, that is fantastic about the video!

Getting sponsorship from other companies is great as well, and you deserve to be congratulated for this! I would be great to see some of those funds being spent on some grassroot players as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2008, 13:30 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

adham wrote:
Unfortunately my mother had an unfortunate accident today. I spend most of my time in the hospital, I canceled all my travel, so I will not be able to visit Forums for a while.

Adham

I'm very sorry to hear that too!

Thank you again for finding the time to today to visit us again, very much appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2008, 17:59 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
adham wrote:

Adham

Hope your mother gets well soon Adham.

When you do return can you please give this idea some consideration for the good and fairness of all players.

In the current policy of having an approved rubbers list release every 6 months, no rubber has any longer than 6-12 months of guaranteed life. If the ITTF made a small tweak to the policy that a rubber tested and approved by the ITTF be given a 2 year guarantee of approval before it can be removed from the list. This will give consumers the confidence they won't waste of lot of money based upon the ITTF suddenly changing its mind. A manufacturer could then have a retest of their rubber (and pay whatever ITTF fees required) and get another 2 years guaranteed of their product. This would be very good for their business. If they don't do this, then they would be saying to their customers they are not willing to get their product re-guaranteed, and so the consumer is then on warning that the rubber is at risk of removal in any 6 month period. So they can choose to continue with the rubber knowing full well the rubber has a minimal approval guarantee.

This system would assist retailers to know how much stock of which rubbers to carry and not get stuck with stock they have trouble selling. It would squarely place the responsibility of confidence generation on the manufacturers shoulders. As you have said things don't happen quickly through the ITTF so making a 2 year guarantee on rubbers shouldn't be too hard to bare.

A system like this would show the ITTF really does consider all players welfare in the sport as removing approval of rubbers can have a severe financial effect on players and/or retailers who buy up stocks of banned rubbers. It would add confidence to the TT rubber market and anyone who goes ahead and buys rubbers with the knowledge it has a limited guarantee does so at their own risk as they can choose to change to a rubber with a longer guaranteed lifespan.

If you have any difficulty understanding what I have proposed here please ask questions. If you do understand the idea, please can you indicate if you think it has merit. Thanks.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2008, 18:24 

adham wrote:
I try to answer questions on all of the above Forum. But I am getting a lot of abuse and a lot of rudeness in one particular Forum, but it's OK, I can live with it.

I'm sorry to hear that. Don't let it get to you.

Let the appreciation of the players who value your time and effort on these forums eclipse all the negativity and abuse you're experiencing.

The fact that you take time to answer questions of players who may never play under ITTF rules, other than what their TT associations adopt, is incredible to me. And on several forums at that. I really, really appreciate it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2008, 13:25 
King of Ping!

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
adham wrote:

Adham

Hope your mother gets well soon Adham.

When you do return can you please give this idea some consideration for the good and fairness of all players.

In the current policy of having an approved rubbers list release every 6 months, no rubber has any longer than 6-12 months of guaranteed life. If the ITTF made a small tweak to the policy that a rubber tested and approved by the ITTF be given a 2 year guarantee of approval before it can be removed from the list. This will give consumers the confidence they won't waste of lot of money based upon the ITTF suddenly changing its mind. A manufacturer could then have a retest of their rubber (and pay whatever ITTF fees required) and get another 2 years guaranteed of their product. This would be very good for their business. If they don't do this, then they would be saying to their customers they are not willing to get their product re-guaranteed, and so the consumer is then on warning that the rubber is at risk of removal in any 6 month period. So they can choose to continue with the rubber knowing full well the rubber has a minimal approval guarantee.

This system would assist retailers to know how much stock of which rubbers to carry and not get stuck with stock they have trouble selling. It would squarely place the responsibility of confidence generation on the manufacturers shoulders. As you have said things don't happen quickly through the ITTF so making a 2 year guarantee on rubbers shouldn't be too hard to bare.

A system like this would show the ITTF really does consider all players welfare in the sport as removing approval of rubbers can have a severe financial effect on players and/or retailers who buy up stocks of banned rubbers. It would add confidence to the TT rubber market and anyone who goes ahead and buys rubbers with the knowledge it has a limited guarantee does so at their own risk as they can choose to change to a rubber with a longer guaranteed lifespan.

If you have any difficulty understanding what I have proposed here please ask questions. If you do understand the idea, please can you indicate if you think it has merit. Thanks.

Your idea has merit, it may need some minor adjustment. Actualy we had exactly that years ago, but the manufacturers pressed the ITTF a lot on making 1 list per year (instead of every 2 years), then 2 lists per year and making new racket coverings immediately valid as soon as they were on the list. So, this is fine when you add, but as you pointed out , it;s very bad when a rubber does not make the list. Sudden death ! So, we are looking into a fairer system for both cases (adding and removing) and your suggestion has a lot of merit and will be discussed internally. Thank you for the input.

Adham

Adham

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2008, 13:26 
King of Ping!

zrrbiteDK wrote:
adham wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that. Don't let it get to you.

Let the appreciation of the players who value your time and effort on these forums eclipse all the negativity and abuse you're experiencing.

The fact that you take time to answer questions of players who may never play under ITTF rules, other than what their TT associations adopt, is incredible to me. And on several forums at that. I really, really appreciate it!

Thank you very much. Makes me feel my time was not wasted.

Adham

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2008, 13:46 
Master Of Deception
Master Of Deception

adham wrote:
- This one (one of a kind)
- Forum de Tenis masa, http://www.tenisdemasa.ro/forum/index.php
- My Table tennis Forum (very aggressive and angry people there)
- TT-News Forum (German but English thread) http://forum.tt-news.de/forumdisplay.php?f=16
- TableTennisNetwork.com , http://www.tabletennisnetwork.com/Table ... m/tabid/99

My TT is the first forum I've joined but stopped now. I know how you feel. There are kids there and some inmature adults. It's good that you can take it coz if you don't answer their questions, They would think you avoid them coz you have somethings to hide. I'm not a big fan of ITTF but I understand that it's not easy to be in your position.

EASY P - http://nexyusa.com/collections/rubber/products/easy-p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tyNTO7 ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zkq9Ja3E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARovqP9tT0#t=64

Last edited by Bogeyhunter on 21 Nov 2008, 03:48, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31  Next