OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:58

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2012, 11:27 

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Personally, I appreciate Adham coming here and trying to explain things. It says to me there is a level of caring on behalf of the ITTF for players at grassroots which doesn't seem obvious on the face of it. While we have been unable to find evidence collectively regarding the phasing out of celluloid production, doesn't mean it isn't so. I personally dislike the idea of a poly ball and the changes that will bring with it. But I am willing to take Adham at his word that China is pulling out of celluloid production simply because if there was a hidden agenda behind it, I think it would be easier for him to simply ignore us. I'd rather a poly ball than no ball at all...so long as that ball comes close to the characteristics of our current one...or at least I am willing to try it...and hope the ITTF is willing to seek further improvement in it if it is released and found to be sub-standard. I hope Adham can assure us the ITTF will do everything in its power to attempt to achieve this end at least.

This is what everyone seems to be missing - that the ITTF President does NOT need to come here and explain anything and that it's a favor to us.

I disagree with a lot of changes the ITTF has made:
- I would reinstate frictionless long pips because it allows players to alter currently legal pips and portray them as 'used outdoors' or 'aged in a garage' and provide a advantage against players who have not played against them.
- I would reinstate the hiding the service rule because serves are already being hidden and nothing is being done about it - so give everyone the opportunity to do it on a level field.
- Speed glue and boosters should be legal if they are found not to be dangerous to health because the price of tenergy is outrageous.
- I don't see any reason to change to a different ball.

That said, every sport has changes in the rules throughout time. Changes get made, and if the change really is as bad as some of the extremists on this forum seem to think it will be, then players around the world will call for a change back. If every professional player hates the new ball, it won't stick around. I'd love to see a China Open where 95 of the top 100 players boycott because they refuse to play with the new ball since it's sooo different - that would cause an immediate change back to the old ball. But it probably won't happen because it probably won't be that different. Besides, have you even tested the ball yet for yourself, or are you just assuming you won't like it because you can't handle a little change?

Also, you don't need to play with the new ball if you don't want to. Go out and buy a bunch of currently legal celluloid balls and have a field day - host celluloid tournaments until you die.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2012, 11:45 
Super User

roar wrote:
the ITTF President does NOT need to come here and explain anything and that it's a favor to us.

No, I do not think so, it is not a favor to us.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2012, 08:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Good news have came to me regarding the next future of the table tennis sport.
Poly Balls are going to be 40.1-40.3mm diameter and with a lower rotation rate by around 5%.
The reduction of ball spin would be a great benefit for the sport, just for the reason that a slower spin on the ball would provide a better overall control of play and, ultimalely, some fewer missed balls by players and longer rallies are strongly expected.

This is a comment I have now got in my privat communication from an -ITTF person in charge of testing/approval of table tennis balls.
That is all for now.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2012, 13:40 
Super User

roar wrote:
Changes get made, and if the change really is as bad as some of the extremists on this forum seem to think it will be, then players around the world will call for a change back. If every professional player hates the new ball, it won't stick around.

Let us apply your logic to Sharara. He should go and take his rule changes with him, and then, if players around the world will call for him coming back he may come back.

My personal choice is that: I prefer celluloid ball without Sharara to Sharara without celluloid ball.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2012, 20:13 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
igorponger wrote:
The reduction of ball spin would be a great benefit for the sport, just for the reason that a slower spin on the ball would provide a better overall control of play and, ultimalely, some fewer missed balls by players and longer rallies are strongly expected.

Great benefit according to? One of the challenges of table tennis is the spin and speed factor. If players want fewer missed balls and longer rallies they should do what's called "training" or "practice". I've also seen plenty of new players and social players have long rallies and really enjoy themselves with the existing size of ball. Take this logic to the end and we might as well play on a court 27 feet by 78 feet so there's more playing surface to aim for, raise the net to 3.5 feet at the net posts and 3 feet in the middle to slow the game down and play with a ball with a diameter of 2.575 inches to 2.700 inches to make it easier to see. While we're at it let's get rid of the silly name table tennis or ping pong and call it something else where millions of people willl watch it in person or on TV so lot's of money can be made from it. Oh hold on, there's already a game like that, it's called tennis.

Adham tells us the ball change is because celluloid will cease to be produced so "we" need an alternative and that alternative is plastic. He tells us the size of the ball can be more accurately made hence the tollerance change (although I find it strange a ball can have a tolerance above 40mm but not below it - surely it should be so the ball is a maximum of 40mm not a minumum of 40mm?

Igorponger are you suggesting your ITTF source is saying the change in ball is being brought in to "dumb" down the sport, or to put a politically/corporate response to it "to encourge longer rallies and make the game easier" or that these are considered by the ITTF to be "beneficial side affects" not originally considered by the ITTF when developing the requirements for the new ball?

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 12:15 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Noted table tennis coach Carl Danner's take on the plastic balls from About.com...

Quote:
Stellan had a prototype plastic ball he showed me. It is noticeably larger than the current ball. Based on how it plays, he feels it would be a bad thing for the sport; it reduces the effect of spin, sounds funny, and will simplify the game more than the 40 mm ball has already (costing us an even greater loss in the diversity of styles).

I'm strongly against this, and simply do not believe the claim that celluloid will become unavailable for this purpose.

Carl Danner

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2012, 03:41 

Smartguy wrote:
roar wrote:
Changes get made, and if the change really is as bad as some of the extremists on this forum seem to think it will be, then players around the world will call for a change back. If every professional player hates the new ball, it won't stick around.

Let us apply your logic to Sharara. He should go and take his rule changes with him, and then, if players around the world will call for him coming back he may come back.

My personal choice is that: I prefer celluloid ball without Sharara to Sharara without celluloid ball.

That makes no sense, "smart guy".

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2012, 04:48 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Adham, congratulations on a great job with the Olympics. I was thinking that since volleyball managed to get the derivative of "beach volleyball" into the Olympics, maybe the ITTF should consider adding a derivative such as "classic table tennis" (a.k.a. hardbat).

If rowing can have 14 different gold medals on offer and kayaking can have 16 gold medals available, sailing has ten golds up for grabs, shooting has 15 golds, etc., I think table tennis, which is much more popular, deserves to have more than just four golds.

This would add even more interest and exposure for the sport, and maybe even partially solve "the China problem."

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2012, 10:34 

mynamenotbob wrote:
Adham, congratulations on a great job with the Olympics. I was thinking that since volleyball managed to get the derivative of "beach volleyball" into the Olympics, maybe the ITTF should consider adding a derivative such as "classic table tennis" (a.k.a. hardbat).

If rowing can have 14 different gold medials on offer and kayaking can have 16 gold medals available, sailing has ten golds up for grabs, shooting has 15 golds, etc., I think table tennis, which is much more popular, deserves to have more than just four golds.

This would add even more interest and exposure for the sport, and maybe even partially solve "the China problem."

This is a great idea - but I think you first need to show that numerous countries have an interest in competing in such a tourney. Maybe the ITTF could add a hardbat event to the pro tour for a year as an experiment.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2012, 16:28 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
I'm more surprised that there isn't a doubles competition. Isn't that a glaring omission ?

185g

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2012, 16:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

so_devo wrote:
I'm more surprised that there isn't a doubles competition. Isn't that a glaring omission ?

Men's and Women's doubles were always included in the Olympics since table tennis was introduced in 1988:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympic_medalists_in_table_tennis

...Doubles were replaced by team events in 2008... It was done to further reduce the number of table tennis medals that could be won by a single country (guess which one ;) ).

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 05:37 
Super User

i ve seen that the REIN bUTTERFLY RUBBER is listed in the aproved list but is not sold anymore many years ago i find this odd, would butterfly pay fees for a rubber no one sells/uses anymore or butterfly doesnt pay fees

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 05:41 
Super User

TTTTT wrote:
"igorponger" is a clown and a troll, he (usually) can't be taken seriously.

There was one case in the past where ITTF did something along the lines discussed here: the doubles event at the 2004 Athens Olympics. Both in men's and in women's doubles, the 2 top-seeded pairs were from China but were drawn in the same half of the draw, following a rule specially created for the occasion (but only for the doubles event not singles). The intent was clearly to prevent an all-Chinese final.

I believe this was already under Adham's authority but am not sure who had the idea. In any case, it appears that ITTF has learned from that mistake and will not repeat it. (On the other hand, perhaps in 2016 there will be only one player per association, which would take care of the "problem" of having an all-Chinese final anywhere...)

i have a russian friend that hates everything about china well if igorponger cant stand chinese play the finals you can pick another sport as taek kwan do or equestrian sports and soccer

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 05:44 
Super User

adham wrote:
Lorre wrote:
I have two questions for you, Mr. Sharara. You said this in the following interview (http://tabletennista.com/2012/5/sharara-doesnt-worry-for-the-london-olympi//):

Q: The London Olympics for the first time limited the number of participants for each NOC in the Singles event. Is this implemented to suppress the dominance of the Chinese Team? What do you think?

A: Restricitng the Chinese Team is not the goal. Stimulating players from other countries to challenge themselves and to challenge the Chinese Team is the whole purpose. The Chinese Team has the best three players but can only send two players for the Singles. It may seem unfortunate but it gives opportunities for other athletes to compete for the medals which is the best motivating factor. If they (China) will get the gold, at least there is still the silver or the bronze.

+- Four years ago you said the following in an interview (http://www.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf_full_story1.asp?ID=16257):

Q: In Beijing there were Singles and Team events. Will it be the same programme in London 2012?

A: I want to discuss my desires for changes very soon first internally in the ITTF and then with the IOC. An individual event with a maximum of two players by country. Therewith we can hinder that a country like China makes the clean sweep. Furthermore I want a Team event because it is the emotional climax and that’s what it was here. The duel between two countries polarises more than an inner-Chinese final in the Singles. And I want again a Doubles competition with 16 pairs and only one double per nation. We will discuss that and proceed then. Basically table tennis has great prospects; we only need to use them.

1) Am I understanding it correctly that hindering the Chinese to make the clean sweep is just a by-product of your goal to stimulate players from other countries to challenge themselves and to challenge the Chinese Team?

2) Is this by-product intentional (i.e. if the Chinese weren't dominating, but e.g. three players of three different countries, then the decision of the reduction in the number of participants for each NOC in the Singles Event wouldn't have been made) or accidental (i.e. if the Chinese weren't dominating, but e.g. three players of three different countries, then the decision of the reduction in the number of participants for each NOC in the Singles Event would have been made)?

Again, I repeat, the change is not a matter of Chinese, it is a matter of giving more opportunities to all. By reducing the singles entries to 2 from each NOC, it gives a chance to more NOCs to take part. This is the main goal. Also, it gives a chance for more than an NOC to win medals, and it eliminates the possibility of a sweep by one NOC (China or other). This is better overall.

the right to earn a medal should be won why they dont train harder as the chinese i m sure the world want to watch the best table tennis players no matter where they come from

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 08:29 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Hi Adham,

Lots of rumors out there so I thought I'd go to an official source. Is it true that now we're now going to a two-piece poly ball?

| My OOAK Interview

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next