OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2017, 17:11 
Super User

Hi everyone,

It's been a while for updates from me, particularly on my blog. But I felt this deserved it's own thread as I am so excited!

This coming weekend I travel to Frankfurt to meet up with the legend that is Thomas Keinath for a full weekend table tennis camp coached both by Thomas and Ruwen Filus!

I feel so so lucky, I am so glad I got talking to Thomas. I feel I will be one of the worst players there, but I don't care! I am so pumped to meet my favourite player Ruwen! Hopefully he can give me some really good tips for using my FL3! :P I use exactly the same bat setup as Ruwen anyway.

It's not very often you get to meet an idol of yours, and this weekend I will. I'm a bit overwhelmed/nervous/excited, I just can't believe it! Haha

I'm not entirely sure if we are doing this, but I could potentially meet Wang Xi too if we go to see a Fulda training session.

Hopefully I can persuade Ruwen to be my Facebook friend ;) haha! BRING ON THE WEEKEND!

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2017, 08:40 

Wow that's crazy! How did you manage to contact them, if I may ask :P. Please update us here, I'm really curious how it'll be :D

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2017, 16:24 
Super User

Maurice wrote:
Wow that's crazy! How did you manage to contact them, if I may ask :P. Please update us here, I'm really curious how it'll be :D

Please see this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31656

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2017, 22:25 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
I am about to re-try FL3 for more time on the JSH thanks to Chopper88's GENEROUS donation! (Thanks brotha!!!). I have a choice between 1.3 and 1.1 and like every good EJ I'm toiling over which to glue to the JSH. My intuition says 1.3 because slower on the JSH is better (for me), but I also want the blade as light as possible (damned Thor's hammer that JSH).

I doubt you got to that level of detail about equipment, but Ruwen's profile shows on some sites as having 1.1 and 1.3. Normally I would say that .2mm of sponge makes no difference, but with grippy and ultra soft/slow sponged LPs I think it does. Any clue what he used? Just wondering since he counseled you on moving from FL3 to P-1R and maybe it came up somehow. Plus, i can then validate what's on the players grid in my signature.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2017, 02:21 
Super User

Japsican wrote:
I am about to re-try FL3 for more time on the JSH thanks to Chopper88's GENEROUS donation! (Thanks brotha!!!). I have a choice between 1.3 and 1.1 and like every good EJ I'm toiling over which to glue to the JSH. My intuition says 1.3 because slower on the JSH is better (for me), but I also want the blade as light as possible (damned Thor's hammer that JSH).

I doubt you got to that level of detail about equipment, but Ruwen's profile shows on some sites as having 1.1 and 1.3. Normally I would say that .2mm of sponge makes no difference, but with grippy and ultra soft/slow sponged LPs I think it does. Any clue what he used? Just wondering since he counseled you on moving from FL3 to P-1R and maybe it came up somehow. Plus, i can then validate what's on the players grid in my signature.

Hi mate :)

He uses 1.1mm I asked him. He told me to use Curl p1r because I drop back from the table.

What's made you change to the JSH?

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2017, 04:10 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
I'm going through a major experimentation. I've had a JSH for a while but didn't stay with it because of the weight. But I've been trying to stick with it to give it a real chance. I feel like one doesn't concentrate on timing with a lighter blade because it's so easy to move into position if you aren't necessarily timing it right. The JSH forces me to start my swing at the right time so that I can meet the ball at the optimal time. I think it's helped my FH development, but made my FH worse in terms of winning points.

I have also bought a second blade (Donier) with Agenda 1.0 and Secret Flow. I'm more of a classic chopper, usually, but have been trying to be more offensive lately. I vowed to give the JSH one last time to try it before swearing it off for life. Thing is, I really like it in many ways, but my tennis elbow is acting up because I'm gripping the heavier setup too much.

So, you're sure of the 1.1 over the 1.3? Interesting! Did he give a reason?

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions