OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 15:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2019, 18:38 

Blade: Galaxy Children's Carbon
FH: Nittaku Moristo DF 1.3mm
BH: Yinhe Neptune .7mm
Hey everyone, I was looking on google and could not find the national training center, do we actually not have one? Most clubs pay rent and collect nightly dues. I've heard Kanak Jha, our top player trains in Germany most of the year, that's pathetic. I can fix the gang problem in LA, we'll get 'em hooked on table tennis, the must frustrating, rewarding speed sport on the planet. One year sober today and playing a tournament this weekend; as my students go faster in equipment, I'm going thinner.

I was the biggest Stiga blade snob, and it has it's place training environment.

Now playing with Yinhe Children's Soft Carbon blade, fantastic touch and power. And $8.75

After the tournament I have a sheet of Mech Tek Predator 1.0mm coming.

And I'm not a chopper but believe in great variation in shots, doing some really weird chop blocks, more sidespin, instead of a one trick pony. American players of the past have had usually had huge forehands and little else, mostly for lack of a place to train against other top players, and coaching.

To be a Top player you have to have more than one shot. Hope to win first in U1800 and earn some points in the U2075. Currently rated 1726 but in general playing, I'd post my club play here but whenever I try it doesn't work, maybe I could wetranser some files to an Administrator.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2019, 09:12 

Blade: Galaxy Children's Carbon
FH: Nittaku Moristo DF 1.3mm
BH: Yinhe Neptune .7mm
From the lack of response (though only been posted since last night) I take it there is not a full time, privately funded, national table tennis training center in the United States of America? I'm going to talk with Bill Gates about that, he likes table tennis and I understand he has a few extra bucks.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2019, 09:37 

Yes, it's true that we don't have a "National" training center.

However, something often overlooked is that we do have over 100 full time training centers in the US. I would estimate that at least a dozen of them have resources comparable to "national" training centers in all but a few of the most powerful TT nations. This is important as geographically the US is quite spread out, and having the resources available locally is very important.

Keep in mind that since sports in the US don't have much government funding, the budget of USATT is very small. I have been told that some of the big training centers have a larger annual budget than USATT.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2019, 15:02 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
US has a National Training Center... but not the one you are imagining... you would have to join the US Army to go there and train. I been there 5 times and never saw or heard of a ping pong table on the entire camp.

It is a remote, huge combat training area in the Mojave desert a couple hours NW of Los Angelas.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 09 May 2019, 12:29 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

What's the center at Boulder, CO about? Or is it no longer in operation?

I think the reason the top players train outside the US is access to high level training partners and proximity to international class leagues and tournaments, not due to the lack of facilities. As noted, there are several table tennis centers around the US which are large and well-appointed - the one that comes to mind is where Larry Hodges coaches in Gaithersburg, MD.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 09 May 2019, 12:36 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

flipper4pipper wrote:
Now playing with Yinhe Children's Soft Carbon blade, fantastic touch and power. And $8.75

I'll have to try one if I can find one. I really like and use the Sanwei M8 (on the face of which is printed "Junior"). $8.08 including shipping. :lol:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SANWEI- ... 01460.html

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 May 2019, 07:52 

Quote:
As noted, there are several table tennis centers around the US which are large and well-appointed...

Many of the serious training centers are listed on the National Center of Excellence page: https://www.teamusa.org/usa-table-tennis/clubs/national-centers-of-excellence.

There are also a number of other serious training centers, i.e. ASLT, WCTTA, Swan that are not listed on the NCOE page.

Looking at current 2019 Nationals entries, I see 11 clubs sending a dozen of more players. This number is likely to grow since the entry deadline is not yet past.

Clubs currently sending a dozen or more players:

After School Learning Tree Table Tennis Club
Alameda Table Tennis Club,
Allen & Sons Table Tennis Club
ICC Table Tennis Club
Swan Warriors TTC
Table Tennis America
World Champions Table Tennis Academy
Maryland Table Tennis Center
Lily Yip Table Tennis Center
Houston International Table Tennis Academy
Seattle Pacific Table Tennis Club

The club with the most players is Stellan's Club, After School Learning Tree Table Tennis Club, with 36 players.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2019, 15:51 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

This is an interesting, informative video. Until you realize it was posted 7 years ago.. :lol:

Some of those kids are probably in their late teens/early 20s now. I wonder if Cheng is still coaching.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2019, 15:45 

Blade: SQST
FH: Mark V
BH: Tenergy 05
I did a google search and the only thing that comes up is Teamusa

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 17:16 

I assumed from the lack of response (though this was posted only last night) that there is not a full time, privately funded US national training center for table tennis? I will talk with Bill Gates about this since he has a great interest in it.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 22:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

VERY RARE BIRD.

Ito Mima is a rare bird. She never belonged to any club. She only attends National Olympic academy on some occasions.
All the rest of time, she is training privately with her attending foster-father Mr. Matsuzaki, inside a local hostel. Chinese spies have to stay out.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!