OOAK Table Tennis Forum


A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Sep 2020, 05:32


Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 00:31 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 04 Dec 2012, 01:32
Posts: 237
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 17 times
I am convinced that we need and can develop and super aggressive RPB ala Fan Zhendong and Zhang Jike. I am convinced we need this with the change in ball and the changes of the game. I was experimenting using more pressure on my thumb getting my elbow high and using my body to generate speed to getting about 75% with my amicus differing positions spins etc. Unfortunately, I'm staring at 60 year old and may not have time to develop the technique. I was wondering if you all have been experimenting as much as I and any suggestions you may have.


Top
 Profile  
 

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 03:43 
Offline
Goes to 11
Goes to 11
User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2014, 20:27
Posts: 9615
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1176 times
"Man_iii" seems to have it down pat.. :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=31482&start=15#p339262

Unfortunately his forehand needs work...

Iskandar


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2017, 15:05 
Offline
I am Legend
I am Legend
User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2006, 18:21
Posts: 5997
Location: Queensland
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 106 times
Sure. Just open the blade a bit more with your thumb and drive through more. Keep the frisbee action.

Can you bh loop shakehand? Exact same principle...

_________________
Chasse Patate


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 06 Aug 2017, 10:54 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 04 Dec 2012, 01:32
Posts: 237
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 17 times
I've not seen any pros doing it though. Wong Chun Ting I feel has the best RPB of the top players.

https://youtu.be/htd5U334tvs

Almost like Wang Hoa. Running around his forehand.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017, 01:04 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 22 Dec 2016, 16:35
Posts: 687
Has thanked: 101 times
Been thanked: 116 times
Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
I had some helpful advise from Silver ! :-) RPB can DEFINITELY be used extremely aggressively.

I tried to use Kreanga's BH forearm rotation as the basis for the RPB and BOY WAS IT A GLASS CANNON !

Also I was trying to emulate the TPB BH attack that I believe Yoshida Kai and Ryu-Seung Min use a lot that is part of the J-pen BH shot ?

So with the RPB flex and Kreanga's power any kind of "normal" or "under-spin" ball will get put away like a bullet. Its the "dead" or "weird" returns to the BH that might require a bit more judgement and finesse that go back to the Wang Hao / Ma Lin / Xu Xin RPB :-D

Lots of the young players are now realising that I attack with hella' power on the BH. So I am having to do RPB BH to FH or deep BH. With that side-spin curve away from the player location. Its called "inside-out" ? or something :lol:

Anyways ! Aggressive RPB a-la Kreanga style is now my main weapon :-D Hope someone else has a similar story so we can develop the RPB into a truly spectacular contender for future World No.1 Penhold players ! :rofl:

_________________
__________________________________________________________
Backup C-pen blades:
  • TSP Black Balsa 7.0 :
    1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2018, 10:39 
Offline
Full member

Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 06:50
Posts: 63
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Blade: Nittaku Acoustic (C-Pen)
FH: DHS Skyline TG2 Neo
BH: DHS Skyline TG2 Neo
How has your RBP developed by now?
I’m just starting out with it but I’m loving how surprisingly explosive it can be!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 02:30 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 22 Dec 2016, 16:35
Posts: 687
Has thanked: 101 times
Been thanked: 116 times
Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
Alas wrote:
How has your RBP developed by now?
I’m just starting out with it but I’m loving how surprisingly explosive it can be!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


RPB BH for me is my main finish/ attack loop/killer return etc :D

So right now RPB BH is pretty solid part of my game. I have developed serve-3rd ball attack sequences, etc.

All Pips-out players get to see my fully confident RPB BH attacks into that corner and the "inside-out" BH down-the-line with insane speed + spin. Doesn't matter how much spin-reversal or heavy dead ball they want to push to my BH. It's a full on RPB BH loop-kill every time.

As to how did I learn it ? 1. I was a natural BH player. Attack, loop, chop, push, block on the BH side was always waaaaay better than anything I could do on my FH side.

Switched to C-pen within 1 month of playing Shakehand seriously and unable to compete or improve. On-the-fly played RPB BH without any idea what that stroke was and/but it felt natural. I got a thrill electric shock of joyous confirmation when I Youtubed videos of C-pen players XX, Ma Lin, WangHao, LGL doing the "modern" RPB C-pen BH.

No coaching, hours of YT videos, repeatedly failing, persisting despite injuries, recovering+correcting, believing in myself to learn the techniques needed.

Finding supportive friends and getting help from talented C-pen players.

Joining a Local State-level club. Continuing to believe in myself and training.

Getting help here in these forums ;-)

It wasn't an easy journey, and this is only the beginning :rofl:

One bit of advice I feel is get a proper C-pen coach and learn BOTH TPB and RPB !!!

My FH still needs work, but no one will take my FH lightly! I am a FH killer too ! :lol: Though not as deadly as my RPB BH. :rofl:

Good luck in your own journey and hope to hear back some good news :-)

_________________
__________________________________________________________
Backup C-pen blades:
  • TSP Black Balsa 7.0 :
    1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 16:39 
Offline
Full member

Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 06:50
Posts: 63
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Blade: Nittaku Acoustic (C-Pen)
FH: DHS Skyline TG2 Neo
BH: DHS Skyline TG2 Neo
man_iii wrote:
Alas wrote:
How has your RBP developed by now?
I’m just starting out with it but I’m loving how surprisingly explosive it can be!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


RPB BH for me is my main finish/ attack loop/killer return etc :D

So right now RPB BH is pretty solid part of my game. I have developed serve-3rd ball attack sequences, etc.

All Pips-out players get to see my fully confident RPB BH attacks into that corner and the "inside-out" BH down-the-line with insane speed + spin. Doesn't matter how much spin-reversal or heavy dead ball they want to push to my BH. It's a full on RPB BH loop-kill every time.

As to how did I learn it ? 1. I was a natural BH player. Attack, loop, chop, push, block on the BH side was always waaaaay better than anything I could do on my FH side.

Switched to C-pen within 1 month of playing Shakehand seriously and unable to compete or improve. On-the-fly played RPB BH without any idea what that stroke was and/but it felt natural. I got a thrill electric shock of joyous confirmation when I Youtubed videos of C-pen players XX, Ma Lin, WangHao, LGL doing the "modern" RPB C-pen BH.

No coaching, hours of YT videos, repeatedly failing, persisting despite injuries, recovering+correcting, believing in myself to learn the techniques needed.

Finding supportive friends and getting help from talented C-pen players.

Joining a Local State-level club. Continuing to believe in myself and training.

Getting help here in these forums ;-)

It wasn't an easy journey, and this is only the beginning :rofl:

One bit of advice I feel is get a proper C-pen coach and learn BOTH TPB and RPB !!!

My FH still needs work, but no one will take my FH lightly! I am a FH killer too ! :lol: Though not as deadly as my RPB BH. :rofl:

Good luck in your own journey and hope to hear back some good news :-)


So far my RPB has developed quite nicely and it’s earned me many points and sets at work. I think the guys are quite used to it now and I’m starting to surprise more people when I TBH punch it with some side spin packed in it to change the pace. Quite a nice weapon since I’ve been exclusively practicing my RPB and everyone knows it now.

Can’t wait to start club play. Just joined a local club!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 06 May 2020, 22:10 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 02 Jan 2020, 04:22
Posts: 48
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 6 times
maybe trying to develop a aggressive backhand with the shakehand grip and then going back to penhold could be the answer, because instead of dealing with the initially awkward grip and the whole learning process you would only have to worry about the grip
but here is a video kreanga made with butterfly about his technics, backhand practice starts at 5:35
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yMdwja5c4c&


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 08 May 2020, 07:59 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 22 Dec 2016, 16:35
Posts: 687
Has thanked: 101 times
Been thanked: 116 times
Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
I guarantee that continuing to play with C-Pen or J-Pen WILL DEFINITELY improve your ability to learn and play Shakehand grip.

Problem here is do you want to play Shakehand or Penhold ?

It is like learning TWO very very similar languages but with significant differences in grammar while most of the words are similar but not exactly the same meanings!

Penhold has a LOT and I mean A LLLLOTTTTTT of variations. It can and probably will take several lifetimes to achieve mastery. So you can do most of the stuff, but you can't master all of it. You have to pick and choose.

Shakehand is VERY straightforward and most professional and amateur players want that solid fundamentals and mastery skills. But variation in Shakehand is limiting and not as easy to develop. So you have to have a extremely very very high level of mastery and refined skill.

nighitimare wrote:
maybe trying to develop a aggressive backhand with the shakehand grip and then going back to penhold could be the answer, because instead of dealing with the initially awkward grip and the whole learning process you would only have to worry about the grip
but here is a video kreanga made with butterfly about his technics, backhand practice starts at 5:35
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yMdwja5c4c&


Coming back to your suggestion of SH-Kreanga vs CPen/JPen-Kreanga .... that won't work the way you expect it to work. The RPB has subtle variations that allow you to meet the ball very late after the bounce on the descent as well as playing the ball early on the bounce while it is rising. But RPB variations make it possible to play the ball at every angle and position and state :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But WHERE IS THE POWER AT ? HOW DO YOU PLAY RPB Kreanga?

You have to try it with your body + arm + movement dynamics. Every person is unique. What works for me might need hours, weeks, months, YEARS, LIFETIMES, AEONS of practice or just a C-pen coach giving timely advice within one one-hour session :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
__________________________________________________________
Backup C-pen blades:
  • TSP Black Balsa 7.0 :
    1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 08 May 2020, 20:36 
Offline
Full member

Joined: 08 May 2020, 20:26
Posts: 53
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Blade: DHS W320 cPen
FH: DHS Neo Hurricane 3
BH: TSP Ventus Soft
Actually and surprisingly, Qiu Dang has the best RPB in my opinion, he gained alot in consistency in the past months, he dominates the drills from the backhand side but he also has a strong forehand; he's better than Zhao Zhihao.

I also found another RPB player, but unfortunately he's from North Korea, very consistent player https://youtu.be/_J4UokhFmHo

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 May 2020, 03:52 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 22 Dec 2016, 16:35
Posts: 687
Has thanked: 101 times
Been thanked: 116 times
Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
Aurelian wrote:
Actually and surprisingly, Qiu Dang has the best RPB in my opinion, he gained alot in consistency in the past months, he dominates the drills from the backhand side but he also has a strong forehand; he's better than Zhao Zhihao.

I also found another RPB player, but unfortunately he's from North Korea, very consistent player https://youtu.be/_J4UokhFmHo

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk


Better video without the eye-bleach and crappy video editing



He is NOT a RPB LOBBER :@ :@ :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :rofl: :rofl: :lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
__________________________________________________________
Backup C-pen blades:
  • TSP Black Balsa 7.0 :
    1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 May 2020, 16:52 
Offline
Full member

Joined: 08 May 2020, 20:26
Posts: 53
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Blade: DHS W320 cPen
FH: DHS Neo Hurricane 3
BH: TSP Ventus Soft
man_iii wrote:
Aurelian wrote:
Actually and surprisingly, Qiu Dang has the best RPB in my opinion, he gained alot in consistency in the past months, he dominates the drills from the backhand side but he also has a strong forehand; he's better than Zhao Zhihao.

I also found another RPB player, but unfortunately he's from North Korea, very consistent player https://youtu.be/_J4UokhFmHo

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk


Better video without the eye-bleach and crappy video editing



He is NOT a RPB LOBBER :@ :@ :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :rofl: :rofl: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Perhaps the author wanted to point that the player is using his rpb instead of TPB to lob when he needs, but this is an agressive player, not a lobber

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 May 2020, 21:56 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 02 Jan 2020, 04:22
Posts: 48
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 6 times
man_iii wrote:
I guarantee that continuing to play with C-Pen or J-Pen WILL DEFINITELY improve your ability to learn and play Shakehand grip.

Problem here is do you want to play Shakehand or Penhold ?

It is like learning TWO very very similar languages but with significant differences in grammar while most of the words are similar but not exactly the same meanings!

Penhold has a LOT and I mean A LLLLOTTTTTT of variations. It can and probably will take several lifetimes to achieve mastery. So you can do most of the stuff, but you can't master all of it. You have to pick and choose.

Shakehand is VERY straightforward and most professional and amateur players want that solid fundamentals and mastery skills. But variation in Shakehand is limiting and not as easy to develop. So you have to have a extremely very very high level of mastery and refined skill.

nighitimare wrote:
maybe trying to develop a aggressive backhand with the shakehand grip and then going back to penhold could be the answer, because instead of dealing with the initially awkward grip and the whole learning process you would only have to worry about the grip
but here is a video kreanga made with butterfly about his technics, backhand practice starts at 5:35
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yMdwja5c4c&


Coming back to your suggestion of SH-Kreanga vs CPen/JPen-Kreanga .... that won't work the way you expect it to work. The RPB has subtle variations that allow you to meet the ball very late after the bounce on the descent as well as playing the ball early on the bounce while it is rising. But RPB variations make it possible to play the ball at every angle and position and state :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But WHERE IS THE POWER AT ? HOW DO YOU PLAY RPB Kreanga?

You have to try it with your body + arm + movement dynamics. Every person is unique. What works for me might need hours, weeks, months, YEARS, LIFETIMES, AEONS of practice or just a C-pen coach giving timely advice within one one-hour session :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lol: :lol: :lol:


perhaps if we (penhold players) were to copy kreanga's backhand style, that is, to come not with a straight upwards movement like the other players but to come from the side in a large swing movement using more of the elbow and body instead of focusing in the wrist and forearm like wang hao, i feel like this option is more viable than ever now with the 40+ plastic ball that is slower, bouncier and less spinny than the older 38 celluloid ball, but i too agree with you that every player is different and that feeling the ball and mastering touch is more important


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 14 May 2020, 00:51 
Offline
Goes to 11
Goes to 11
User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2014, 20:27
Posts: 9615
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1176 times
Or maybe you should go to that hyper-long "executing table tennis shots" thread and see what everyone's been talking about the last 20-30 screens... namely, executing a different sort of backhand topspin drive (I forget that it's called - the "lunge"?). Of course, everyone posting on that thread plays shakehands, but I wonder how much of it might apply to RPB. Could you play like Harimoto using RPB?? Is there a penhold version of the strawberry?? You know what they used to say on late night TV, enquiring minds want to know... :lol:

Iskandar


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Spookex and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright 2018 OOAK Table Tennis Forum. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group