OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:57

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: TPB vs RPB
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2020, 16:16 

Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao II
FH: DHS Hurricane III NEO Pro
BH: Nittaku FastArc-G1
nighitimare wrote:

you can do a short topspin "flick" with the tpb, i am surprised of how uncommon it is here is an exemple:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo2KWefeVlU

I do this sometimes over the table for a quick surprise open. It’s not very strong in spin, but the angle you have is already quite naturally open- so you could surprise your opponent and often get a quick weak block back for your 4th ball attack. It’s not too hard to open underspin in this way.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2020, 15:50 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

That's uncommon??? I thought it was a bread-and-butter stroke. Maybe it's because so few people play with penhold these days.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2020, 23:56 

Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao II
FH: DHS Hurricane III NEO Pro
BH: Nittaku FastArc-G1
iskandar taib wrote:
That's uncommon??? I thought it was a bread-and-butter stroke. Maybe it's because so few people play with penhold these days.

Iskandar

Over the table (traditional) backhand flick = Penholder bread and butter!? Definitely not. Forehand loop/drive- yes. In terms of backhand- probably the punch block...

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2020, 18:30 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Maybe these days it isn't. But there was a time when almost everyone around here was playing Japanese penhold. Schoolkids learned to play penhold by default. And it was definitely common back then. I wouldn't call that a loop, either, just a backhand topspin drive.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2021, 02:24 

Blade: Hinoki Carbon Off++ 9mm
FH: H3
BH: Moon Speed
debate:

Does short game, over the table play, forehand pushes and receives classify as "TPB" ?
Personally I think TPB should only refer to the classic using FH side to passively block or punch on your backhand side or the previous example flick/loop:
nighitimare wrote:
you can do a short topspin "flick" with the tpb, i am surprised of how uncommon it is here is an exemple:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo2KWefeVlU

but how long will a player be able to this this in their careers before carpal tunnel at what? Age 25?

Personally I think it's a complete waste of time in the modern game when that time can be spent learning all variants of strokes on the RPB side. Shot selection is tough enough as it is being given balls directed at your elbow, TPB is just another variable to consider to confuse the player.

That "no crossover point" straight arm open face position, when have you ever seen that used in a real game aside from maybe a desperation block?

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2021, 02:28 

Blade: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offen
FH: Galaxy Yinhe Jupiter II H
BH: -
I agree that TPB should only refer to BH in front of body block or the very left block/drive/hit.

I also believe crossover point is just nonsense

TPB hit with SPs is very good, the point is, penhold players are more encouraged to hit harder with very left BH as the whole body is involved

There used to be an old guys (40s) playing an SP 1 sided, his TPB punches and hits is so powerful. But he is one of the more athletic bodied old guys, so I think it varies

*Please do not I'm using in the context of a Righty person

Sent from my M2102J20SG using Tapatalk