OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 17:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2018, 05:08 

it seems from looking at footage of traditional c-pen players there are many who have rubber on both sides of the blade but never twiddle, meaning they simply don't ever use an entire sheet of rubber. why is this? j-pen players at least save weight/money by just painting the backside black. perhaps they enjoy the extra weight?

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2018, 11:09 
Super User

Blade: Yasaka Extra Offensive
FH: Yasaka Shining Dragon
BH: Yasaka Razka 9
may be it is more comfortable to hold it?

Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive Cpen - Yasaka Shining Dragon - Yasaka Razka 9
Galaxy U2 Cpen - Galaxy Sun - Galaxy Moon

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2018, 15:03 

Blade: Nittaku Ludeack
FH: Spinlord Dornenglanz OX
BH: Hurricane 3 Neo
The extra weight helps with power. Cpen blades are lighter and thinner than jpen. Also for the emergency chop or fish.

Above is for me if i play single sided.

On forums people also say it protects the blade. You can use some cheap rubber or long pips.

Blog (Ramblings of an ordinary penholder...): http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32694

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2018, 23:36 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I don't recall two sheets being common back when penhold (sans RPB) was the default playing style around these parts. The back side of the blade was usually bare wood.. and it used to be perfectly legal to strike the ball with it. You didn't even have to color it. So people would use the back side of the racket once in a while as a change-up. I suppose once bare wood became illegal (to hit with), some people started putting something on the back side of the blade - in most cases probably OX long pips rather than inverted, the closest legal thing to bare wood.

There is actually someone at weekend doubles who still plays with bare wood (actually vinyl faux carbon fiber decal) on the back of his blade - and he's gotten quite good at it, too. I assembled that racket myself. If you think long pips has high spin reversal you haven't seen what bare wood can do.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2018, 16:06 
Super User

Mostly for comfort, I get painful fingertips on bare wood. Right now I have black paint sheet as well yellow sponge on the upper 1/3 closest to the handle as a lighter alternative. In the past used Rakza Soft to dampen the feel but a full sheet added too much weight and i don't use RPB.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2018, 16:29 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The traditional material is cork. If you have a Daiso store nearby they sell 3mm sheets of it. Otherwise a car parts store might have cork gasket sheets. And there's always AliExpress.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2018, 08:02 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

lasta wrote:
Mostly for comfort, I get painful fingertips on bare wood. Right now I have black paint sheet as well yellow sponge on the upper 1/3 closest to the handle as a lighter alternative. In the past used Rakza Soft to dampen the feel but a full sheet added too much weight and i don't use RPB.

Could it be that you're gripping too hard, making the fingertips hurt?
When a penholder adds some "cushion" at the back of the bat, it's usually to avoid the fingers slipping out of positions.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2018, 11:27 
Super User

Maybe you are right, I get sore tips on both index and middle fingers after a long session :lol:. Recently I've been forcing myself to adapt to a more closely curled backside fingers, but I still like to feeling of sponge/rubber. In fact, I stick a small square of sponge on the front side too, just for the index finger.