OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 03:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2012, 11:25 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

practice last week :

yesterdays practice:

enjoy and comment

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 06:47 

The serve looks like its coming along well, but I think you are missing the BIG picture, which is how do you make that serve earn you points. Maybe its a new endeavor which then fine have fun, but if you are planning to use that in a game, you need to make it as to generate third ball attacks for you. In a match against a 1700+ player, they will pounce on that serve as it comes right out to the forehand begging to be ripped. I suggest seeing how Wang Hao uses that serve in a game and emulating his progression, and it can be really useful.

PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 07:20 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
I actually don't see anything wrong with the serve as long as you start from the backhand corner. If you can hook it into your opponents playing elbow it could force a miss or a weak loop.

From the forehand corner mix it with a short dead, topside, and backside pendulum serve to the forehand and know it will probably comeback to your forehand which is what you want being a penhold player. Also if you can mix the placement from standing on the forehand side to the backhand making all the serves short from there the long topspin serve to the wide forehand will still be effective.

What I am saying is the new serve can be good as long as you combine it with other short serves and use it very sparingly. Also the more sidespin you use on that serve the more difficult for your opponent because the safe play has to be down the line to your backhand... If they are not careful it will go off the forehand side and not hit the table at all.

But it is true. Know what you want to achieve with that serve and when to use it.

PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 09:18 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

that was just the first bit of training i had using that serve and i was mainly practicing getting the timing down, while keeping it low and quick. which would be more of a surprice serve as it starts with the normal back spin motion/beginning followed by a quick transition to the reverse side before contact.

so most of the balls i was trying to get to the opponents deep FH side and even deeper and shorter ones as well. kinda like what He Zhi when does to right handers and sends the ball deep and fast

heres an image of what i was practicing mainly.

the diamond represents serving position/ball contact. and the red lines are desired ball trajectory

there were some parts where i served to BH jsut to mix it up..

also most of the spin generated will come from torso rotation , bat movement only helps with speed and desidred spin and trajectory. thast what i found anyway

Attachments:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 20.38 KiB | Viewed 3697 times ]

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2018, 04:07 

Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao II
FH: DHS Hurricane III NEO Pro
BH: Nittaku FastArc-G1
Thread Revival!

Just wondering how your serve has developed by now?
I’m also a penholder but I utilize the reverse pendulum serve and I am at a point where I wonder if it’s too cumbersome of a serve as I change my grip quite a bit to execute for maximum controllable spin.

So, if I go for a faster, surprise top-spin variant, I have to be ready quicker for the counter...

I use the RPS so much that I’ve now altered all of my service grips to be the same, in hopes of disguise and surprise variants when I use the normal pendulum serve.

I’m wondering if any other penholder does this? Or do you just use the scoop method for a reverse spin?

I essentially hold the bat like a Shakehander, but the handle is above my hand instead of below.

I’ll take a photo if anyone is confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Alas on 02 Dec 2018, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2018, 21:07 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
What I find is that heavy-cut serves either short- or mid- distance on the table can fool the opponent enough to try to attack with a flick or an initial loop. Your options are either to place the return or initiate your own counter-loop attack. Very few people have the ability to continuously short-push and invariably push long enough for you to do a loop-kill or loop-drive. Only the really good players well above your level can control the short push rallies and decide to force you to attack. Also as a penhold player, your pushes are waaaaay more deadlier and side-spins a LOT more effective compared to shakehand players.

I do short underspin serves or variations of short side-spin serves ... usually with a good enough mix that only a very strong attack can actually land the ball.

Another thing, if you can get the consistency to serve short balls of any serve-type ( under-spin, side-spin, top-spin, no-spin, tomahawk, pendulum, reverse-pendulum, etc ) i.e. balls MUST bounce 3 or more times on the other side of the table and not drop off.

My error rates on the serve-faults DRASTICALLY reduced after doing short serves which roll-back or bounce more than 3 times and never leave the other side of the table at all! :-)

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2018, 09:57 

Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao II
FH: DHS Hurricane III NEO Pro
BH: Nittaku FastArc-G1
man_iii wrote:
What I find is that heavy-cut serves either short- or mid- distance on the table can fool the opponent enough to try to attack with a flick or an initial loop. Your options are either to place the return or initiate your own counter-loop attack. Very few people have the ability to continuously short-push and invariably push long enough for you to do a loop-kill or loop-drive. Only the really good players well above your level can control the short push rallies and decide to force you to attack. Also as a penhold player, your pushes are waaaaay more deadlier and side-spins a LOT more effective compared to shakehand players.

I do short underspin serves or variations of short side-spin serves ... usually with a good enough mix that only a very strong attack can actually land the ball.

Another thing, if you can get the consistency to serve short balls of any serve-type ( under-spin, side-spin, top-spin, no-spin, tomahawk, pendulum, reverse-pendulum, etc ) i.e. balls MUST bounce 3 or more times on the other side of the table and not drop off.

My error rates on the serve-faults DRASTICALLY reduced after doing short serves which roll-back or bounce more than 3 times and never leave the other side of the table at all! :-)

So, what do you use for your reverse spin serves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk