OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Is my Grip Ok?
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2020, 13:26 

Blade: DHS PG7
FH: DHS 651
BH: 1 sided (Red covering)
The 1st and 4th Pic is my BH grip while the 2nd and 3rd Pic is my FH grip, I use 2 fingers on the back, is this ok?

My BH is 3 straight fingers, because I thought it would add speed, is this true?ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Is my Grip Ok?
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2020, 14:40 
Super User

Looks fine. But what's with the pinky overlap?

Honestly though, there is no such thing as "perfect". As you progress, you'll like try many variations:

Front side: depth and width, index hook vs side press, thumb protrusion, center balancing etc.
Backside: Splayed vs curled, stacked or multiple of fingers touching, extension depth, mid-point (center vs to the side), finger tip contact or side etc.

There are benefits and drawbacks to each variation and is influenced by your physique, stance height/angle, emphasis on forehand vs backhand, amount of wrist use etc.

You can choose to either finding a middle ground requiring minimal changes (other than thumb lift) or change your grip for each shot.

All up to preferences.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2020, 16:56 

lasta wrote:
Looks fine. But what's with the pinky overlap?

Honestly though, there is no such thing as "perfect". As you progress, you'll like try many variations:

Front side: depth and width, index hook vs side press, thumb protrusion, center balancing etc.
Backside: Splayed vs curled, stacked or multiple of fingers touching, extension depth, mid-point (center vs to the side), finger tip contact or side etc.

There are benefits and drawbacks to each variation and is influenced by your physique, stance height/angle, emphasis on forehand vs backhand, amount of wrist use etc.

You can choose to either finding a middle ground requiring minimal changes (other than thumb lift) or change your grip for each shot.

All up to preferences.
I used to play RPB, so that pinky overlap is so natural, 3 fingers doesn't help me in the BH, It slows my TPB/FH transition, and during my old RPB days, it covers almost 2/3 of the racket ( 3 fingers in the BH RPB (Refer to the 1st picture) ) The O is the real size of the ball. No wonder I hit those balls with My hand all the time :)

That's why I used 2 fingers, more RPB Space (Refer to the 2nd Picture)ImageImage

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2020, 14:07 
Super User

For picture 1, you are either using a very undersized blade or gripping too deep.

For picture 2, the "pinch" works for some people, but you risk slippage. If you do RPB, I suggest a slightly more acute grip (shift from your 12-1 o'clock grip to 1-2 o'clock) with the side of the middle finger touching. This will give you more surface area for both the ball and your finger contact, while freeing your wrist for extra snap.

BTW, Yinhe Jpen's tend to run small. Regular Jpens are 160mm+, sometimes even 170. Extra length=extra leverage, every mm counts.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2020, 22:37 

Blade: Nittaku Rorin
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH: -
there are no absolute ways of gripping your blade, but there are good and bad grips

if you can hold your blade with comfort and can still manipulate the angle of your blade with relative ease then it is a good grip

but what is most important is that you can keep your blade roughly in line with your forearm. people say that your blade should be as if it is an extension of your arm.

jpen is harder to close the angle of the blade's surface due to the thickness and cork. just having your blade in line with your arm is enough.

i suggest hooking only half of the cork instead of all the way if you find that the blade is angled outwards instead of straight forward.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2020, 01:25 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

Try this video, by Ryu Seung-min. He shows the grip at the beginning of the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwieeP1QC0k

Last edited by shaolinTT on 22 Mar 2020, 01:50, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2020, 18:20 

lasta wrote:
For picture 1, you are either using a very undersized blade or gripping too deep.

For picture 2, the "pinch" works for some people, but you risk slippage. If you do RPB, I suggest a slightly more acute grip (shift from your 12-1 o'clock grip to 1-2 o'clock) with the side of the middle finger touching. This will give you more surface area for both the ball and your finger contact, while freeing your wrist for extra snap.

BTW, Yinhe Jpen's tend to run small. Regular Jpens are 160mm+, sometimes even 170. Extra length=extra leverage, every mm counts.
The length from my handle cork to the edge of the head is 163±1mm, so I guess it's smaller.

Is Yasaka Yagyu Silver's Ok?

Edit : In terms of size, Is Yasaka Yagyu Silver's Ok?

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2020, 19:53 

The big problem is, I live in Indonesia, It's hard to find Hinoki Jpen here.

I mean, there used to be a single blade of RSM Gmax, but it's expensive, and the seller doesn't stock more

It's easy to get Multi-Ply Hinokis by Butterfly, but I prefer 1-ply in Hinoki, plus they are at least 120$

Importing from foreign countries is hard, The taxes are crazy, it can be up to 80%!

But the good thing is, we have a Yasaka supplier here, complete range of rubbers and blades.

But Still, a Yasaka Yagyu Silver will cost me 70$, that's quite expensive.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2020, 02:33 

Blade: Defplay Senso
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Stiga Vertical 20 0.5mm
Here is another video of Ryu Seung Min explaining his grip & thoughts on the topic