OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:13

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2020, 15:58 

Blade: Cypress
FH: Rakza 9
Hi.

I used to play table tennis almost 15 years ago. And its looks like the rubber has changed a lot of his characteristics.

I would like to know, what kind of rubber I need to looking for (brand, type, material, etc...). My style of playing is controlling and attack when Its come the opportunity.

I had already used yasaka Mark V, Bryce and rakza 9 (using this right now, but I need to replace for a new)

Is rakza X or Z suitable for jpen? My coach said for me to get the Tibhar MX-P, but I want to get more options before buying.

Thanks.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2020, 13:29 

Blade: Nittaku Rorin
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH: -
no best rubber, it all depends on u

rakza series and mxp should be solid choices for jpen but im not sure how "hybrid" rubbers like rakza z perform with 1-ply cypress so i cant really comment on it

one rubber you could try if you dont mind medium hardness rubbers is stiga mantra M, which i am using right now

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2020, 04:04 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I must say - there have been LOTS of queries in the same vein over the past week.. I wonder why. :lol:

I assume you're using a traditional one ply Hinoki blade? And play something like Kim Taek Soo? I'd say ANY inverted sheet would work - anything from the $5 729 to Sriver to Dignics - with a one ply Hinoki blade. They're not the same, of course, one might be slightly better than the other but most people could probably adapt to any of them. I'd start with something most JPen players in your area use.. if your coach says get MX-P, I'd get MX-P (even if only to make him happier.. :lol: ) - he knows your game a lot better than I do, after all. It's a perfectly usable and controllable rubber (I've used it), can't say there was anything I didn't like about it other than the price and the fact that it lasted about a month before it shrank.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2020, 02:15 

Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao II
FH: DHS Hurricane III NEO Pro
BH: Nittaku FastArc-G1
Do any JPEN players use hard tacky Chinese rubber? That would be interesting.

To the OP question. I always imagined myself starting with like a Nittaku FastArc G1 or something similar. As I’m into Chinese style rubbers i was also leaning towards Skyline 3-60 or even a full Skyline TG2 NEO. But I’ve never really heard any success story’s go that route. I’m imagining it’s tough to play passive with that set up and needing speed as you’re heavily weighted to your forehand attacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2020, 03:24 

Alas wrote:
Do any JPEN players use hard tacky Chinese rubber? That would be interesting.

To the OP question. I always imagined myself starting with like a Nittaku FastArc G1 or something similar. As I’m into Chinese style rubbers i was also leaning towards Skyline 3-60 or even a full Skyline TG2 NEO. But I’ve never really heard any success story’s go that route. I’m imagining it’s tough to play passive with that set up and needing speed as you’re heavily weighted to your forehand attacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

had a brief stint with tacky chinese rubbers once with one-ply jpen

it works (even better if your rubber is boosted), but its not really recommended for the traditional one-sided jpen playstyle

the reason being that power play is much easier with eurojap rubbers, and jpen is all about power. if you play one-sided penhold, you're going to need all the power you can get.

playing one-ply hinoki with a boosted super 729 fx is pure joy, though. i think its only unfortunate that its hard to get power out of it without smacking the ball with all of my might.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2020, 04:21 

netdriver wrote:

had a brief stint with tacky chinese rubbers once with one-ply jpen

it works (even better if your rubber is boosted), but its not really recommended for the traditional one-sided jpen playstyle

the reason being that power play is much easier with eurojap rubbers, and jpen is all about power. if you play one-sided penhold, you're going to need all the power you can get.

playing one-ply hinoki with a boosted super 729 fx is pure joy, though. i think its only unfortunate that its hard to get power out of it without smacking the ball with all of my might.

That was also my thought. I like the idea of it , but it would take some serious physical capabilities and training to be effective.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2020, 14:50 

Alas wrote:
That was also my thought. I like the idea of it , but it would take some serious physical capabilities and training to be effective.

a change in technique maybe, but you dont need to be as fit as an olympian athlete to get use out of tacky rubbers :D

the power issue might stem from the fact that the chinese rubbers ive used have softer sponge than usual, so keep that in mind. ive boosted them too, so if they're already considered soft for a chinese rubber, they are way softer now.

my super 729 fx is about 42 degrees hard in 729's own scale, the same hardness as the soft focus 3 snipe rubber. it felt harder than focus 3 snipe of course, probably due to the short and wide pip structure typical of chinese rubbers

i've used skyline 3 before too (also boosted), much better performance-wise compared to the super 729 fx. tons faster and spinnier, but i still lack penetration when i attack. my skyline 3 is around 35-37 degrees hard.

reason why im getting soft chinese rubbers is because i still wanna feel the hinoki, but as you can see, there might be a reason why people don't go for soft tacky rubbers after all.

you can try chinese rubbers if you want. best way to know if something works for you is to try it out.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2020, 16:09 

netdriver wrote:

a change in technique maybe, but you dont need to be as fit as an olympian athlete to get use out of tacky rubbers :D

you can try chinese rubbers if you want. best way to know if something works for you is to try it out.

No, I understand that- but it’s a little harder to apply pressure blocking from the BH side with dead rubbers... but you’re right- you don’t need to be super athletic to still apply pressure with TPB (thinking of Ma Lin’s creativity).

I already do prefer Chinese style rubbers (not boosted) on my CPen 39/40 deg in both sides. Always really curious to try JPen though..

I get what you’re saying with feel with softer rubbers, but I prefer very low catapult and lots of tack to “feel” like I have more control. Sort of a different aspect of control. When hitting hard, I get what you mean.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2020, 19:53 

I love Fastarc G-1 on my Darker 1-ply Jpen. H3N or Battle II (slightly faster than H3N) would be good choices too if opting for a Chinese rubber.

Tibhar Genshu L Xiom Vega Pro 1.8 Tibhar Grass D.TecS 0.5
Stiga Clipper Cybershape Yasaka Rakza 7 1.8 Spinlord Blitzschlag OX

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2020, 15:51 

can vouch for the fastarc g-1 for the performance, really great rubber for driving. but it feels too weird, it feels like plastic. had the red version in super thick 2.0mm.

right now im wondering if i should get a rasanter r47/v47 or a vega pro/asia...