OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2021, 07:07 

In this forum there have been links to so called "Rotor" blades, i.e. JPen blades that are made for twiddling.

I somehow find the idea of JPen twiddling fascinating, because it's so different from Shakehand twiddling. You don't just switch sides between rubbers, you either play only the one kind of rubber, or the other kind of rubber.
But somehow this idea seems to have never caught on. I have never seen it in use anywhere.

Are there any videos of players who use JPen rotor blades and twiddle?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2021, 12:40 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

Don't know if it is in here somewhere. It is an interesting channel to watch anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/c/TACSHOW123/vi ... shelf_id=0

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2021, 12:19 

This might be the link you are looking for.

Uses both sides of the blade. And an explanation at the end, though in Japanese.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2021, 02:46 

Blade: SpinLord UltraCarbon
FH: SpinLord Ocelot Medium
BH: SpinLord Dornenglanz
That is a good video of the Sou, but that's just a two sided jpen vs the rotor asked about, so far as I see. I think the opening comment is talking about the blades where you have the cork on both sides for a true twiddling experience, like the Juic Light Carbo. I've never seen one in the wild and can't convince myself to spend the money to try one.

Sent from my ASUS_I003D using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2021, 03:36 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

Take a look at the Paddle Palace website. Click on "Comparison Chart View", then look at the J-2 handles.
https://www.paddlepalace.com/Blades-Penhold/products/8/

Or make your own by cutting and sticking a small piece of cork onto your existing J Pen blade back side.
https://www.ndevadu.com/index.php?main_ ... _id=421861
(Not all J-2 handles are the same on both sides though, but they can all be twiddled.)

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2021, 12:36 

I thought the Nittaku Sou video would be helpful since I think the problem with twiddling a Jpen blade is the height of the handle. The Nittaku Sou's handle height is not typical for a Jpen blade, which allows twiddling.

The only Rotor blades I am familiar with are from Armstrong. And the handles on the blades are squarish (can't think of a correct word). Here is a better view from the Iruiru site:

https://www.iruiru.com/goods_page.php?c ... E&gd=BE044

But not nearly as high as a typical Jpen.

https://www.iruiru.com/goods_page.php?c ... E&gd=BE016

Lastly, I found this very short video of someone twiddling a rotor blade, not sure what brand. Hope it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edo3Yx7Wuvs

Also two videos giving a closeup of a rotor blade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sPj1afbQJQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npVIYD33EAo

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2021, 18:41 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

332_penhold wrote:

Uses both sides of the blade. And an explanation at the end, though in Japanese.

Wow. The man in the beginning doesn't twiddle - he uses inverted on both sides, and has very good reverse and normal backhands. What he shows is variants of reverse and normal banana flicks..

And then the woman takes over about halfway through the video. She twiddles. Oh boy does she twiddle. She can use either rubber on the front side or on the reverse side - never mind which side which rubber is on, she can switch between normal and reverse backhands with either rubber in front - and she shows what she can do with a reverse FOREHAND, too. I think the black sheet is pips out of some sort, she's very good at attacking with it.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2021, 06:19 

Thanks for all of your links and tips.

Just to clarify: I'm not trying to become a JPen twiddler myself. I have enough on my hands trying to be a shakehand defender, I would see no end to it, if I tried to change styles.

I just love the variety in styles in table tennis, e.g. I have also watched Seemiller grip users on youtube, even though they don't exist at all here. I had never seen a rotor blade in use, so I thought there must surely be examples of them in use "in the wild".

332_penhold wrote:

The woman is indeed a great example, she is a master at this. :up:

I would still be interested in more videos, especially of actual matches.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2021, 02:42 

Blade: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offen
FH: Galaxy Yinhe Jupiter II H
BH: -
Iguana wrote:
Thanks for all of your links and tips.

Just to clarify: I'm not trying to become a JPen twiddler myself. I have enough on my hands trying to be a shakehand defender, I would see no end to it, if I tried to change styles.

I just love the variety in styles in table tennis, e.g. I have also watched Seemiller grip users on youtube, even though they don't exist at all here. I had never seen a rotor blade in use, so I thought there must surely be examples of them in use "in the wild".

332_penhold wrote:

The woman is indeed a great example, she is a master at this. :up:

I would still be interested in more videos, especially of actual matches.
LP - Inverted twiddler

Nittaku Wallest

Sent from my M2102J20SG using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2021, 17:30 

I used to own the Nittaku Sou MF R, however, I gave up on trying to twiddle with it. They make it look so easy! Great for RPB though, and 8mm thickness 1-ply hinoki with a small head size, so pretty lightweight as far as 1-ply blades go (mine was only 83g). I transitioned to a cpen grip that I can easily twiddle, and with OX LPs generally on one side, this keeps my setup light and makes twiddling easy …my setups are now 120 - 150g depending on the blade I use, almost all are oversized.

Tibhar Genshu L Xiom Vega Pro 1.8 Tibhar Grass D.TecS 0.5
Stiga Clipper Cybershape 729 Bluesponge 1.8 Spinlord Blitzschlag OX