OOAK Table Tennis Forum


A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Sep 2022, 09:37


Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2021, 20:07 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 23 Sep 2021, 09:59
Posts: 4
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0 time
Blade: Stiga clipper cc
FH: DHS
BH: Yasaka Rakza 7
I just got back to TT after a super long break. I am not keen to change to shake hand even though I probably will have a easier time then learning RPB.

So Rpb it is for now. I am still a little confused with the holding method. My rear is pretty close to Wang Hao as in two fingers slightly curled in. But where Wang Hao says to hold it in front or use the index finger to hold and control the angle, everyone else seems to say to use the thumb to hold and open the angle and the index finger is loose. So which is it? Or most pen holder have a open gap between their thumb and index so they use the thumb to open the angle on Rpb?


Top
 Profile  
 

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2021, 20:24 
Offline
New Member
User avatar

Joined: 16 Sep 2021, 21:45
Posts: 36
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 7 times
Blade: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offen
FH: Galaxy Yinhe Jupiter II H
BH: -
Index finger does help!
Thumb does too!

So the answer is both.

the thumb just press with the distal phalanx part.

While the index finger functions as follows:
- Distal phalanx : Holding the racket in the handle to prevent racket getting thrown while topspin (!)

- The area between Middle phalanx and Proximal phalanx to the outer parts and Proximal phalanx : to stabilize the RPB, however do not put to much pressure!
Just more gentle but some pressure is there.

if you are not able to put your index finger parts like that (at all)

You have oversanded your racket, however I never seen an oversanded racket.

Here's what a well sanded racket look like



Sent from my M2102J20SG using Tapatalk
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2021, 16:45 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 23 Sep 2021, 09:59
Posts: 4
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0 time
Blade: Stiga clipper cc
FH: DHS
BH: Yasaka Rakza 7
Morphold wrote:
Index finger does help!
Thumb does too!

So the answer is both.

the thumb just press with the distal phalanx part.

While the index finger functions as follows:
- Distal phalanx : Holding the racket in the handle to prevent racket getting thrown while topspin (!)

- The area between Middle phalanx and Proximal phalanx to the outer parts and Proximal phalanx : to stabilize the RPB, however do not put to much pressure!
Just more gentle but some pressure is there.

if you are not able to put your index finger parts like that (at all)

You have oversanded your racket, however I never seen an oversanded racket.

Here's what a well sanded racket look like



Sent from my M2102J20SG using Tapatalk
Image



Thanks for your detailed response! I am not sure if my blade was too thick. But I initially could not place my index finger down flat if i extended or rear with 2 fingers instead of my usual curved with the middle finger touching only in the rear. It was only after I sanded down that area in your picture alot more before I could put my index finger where you said should be touching lightly down on the blade. Suspect it was due to the clipper CC handle being rather too thick compared to the yasaka or my older blades.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2021, 16:51 
Offline
New Member
User avatar

Joined: 16 Sep 2021, 21:45
Posts: 36
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 7 times
Blade: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offen
FH: Galaxy Yinhe Jupiter II H
BH: -
Oliverpool wrote:
Morphold wrote:
Index finger does help!
Thumb does too!

So the answer is both.

the thumb just press with the distal phalanx part.

While the index finger functions as follows:
- Distal phalanx : Holding the racket in the handle to prevent racket getting thrown while topspin (!)

- The area between Middle phalanx and Proximal phalanx to the outer parts and Proximal phalanx : to stabilize the RPB, however do not put to much pressure!
Just more gentle but some pressure is there.

if you are not able to put your index finger parts like that (at all)

You have oversanded your racket, however I never seen an oversanded racket.

Here's what a well sanded racket look like



Sent from my M2102J20SG using Tapatalk
Image



Thanks for your detailed response! I am not sure if my blade was too thick. But I initially could not place my index finger down flat if i extended or rear with 2 fingers instead of my usual curved with the middle finger touching only in the rear. It was only after I sanded down that area in your picture alot more before I could put my index finger where you said should be touching lightly down on the blade. Suspect it was due to the clipper CC handle being rather too thick compared to the yasaka or my older blades.
Imagine like shakehand thumb put overall pressure, like your thumb and index in penhold.

And index in shakehand is like your (up to) 3 fingers in penhold.



Sent from my M2102J20SG using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2021, 20:03 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 23 Sep 2021, 09:59
Posts: 4
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0 time
Blade: Stiga clipper cc
FH: DHS
BH: Yasaka Rakza 7
Here are some pictures of my stroke. As I used to have the web of my thumb and index all the in the handle/blade. I now do not have them all the way in. If I do that my slightly bent fingers would also still be at least mid way at the back. That leaves very little space for my rpb. I end up having the ball hit my fingers perhaps 2-3 times very ten. ESP so when there is
Top or side spin.

I still can’t figure why my rear fingers reach till the middle
Of the blade when my hands are not that big. Or are they?
I now relax my index and the rear two fingers more and I do feel that I am getting the strokes better.

Do let me know if I got it right or if the angle of my thumb
Should be more straight or slightly more bent towards my index.

Thanks!


Attachments:
File comment: Grip 1
0A6D9C84-9306-4777-8B1C-F3EF6A15DE55.jpeg
0A6D9C84-9306-4777-8B1C-F3EF6A15DE55.jpeg [ 19.91 KiB | Viewed 654 times ]
File comment: Grip 2
55E7C44F-1759-419A-A6DA-B50F30DCB580.jpeg
55E7C44F-1759-419A-A6DA-B50F30DCB580.jpeg [ 18.41 KiB | Viewed 654 times ]
File comment: Grip 3
612B21EC-D81B-42AA-B74D-004326655CC7.jpeg
612B21EC-D81B-42AA-B74D-004326655CC7.jpeg [ 16.02 KiB | Viewed 654 times ]
File comment: Rear 1
BDAF3353-C76E-4905-B8ED-2DDAD643E955.jpeg
BDAF3353-C76E-4905-B8ED-2DDAD643E955.jpeg [ 15.31 KiB | Viewed 654 times ]
File comment: Rear 2
2FBD6A5C-E8E6-49B9-8281-62EEAB0797F6.jpeg
2FBD6A5C-E8E6-49B9-8281-62EEAB0797F6.jpeg [ 16.87 KiB | Viewed 654 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2021, 02:16 
Offline
New Member
User avatar

Joined: 16 Sep 2021, 21:45
Posts: 36
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 7 times
Blade: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offen
FH: Galaxy Yinhe Jupiter II H
BH: -
Terribly sorry for the late response, I didn't have my subscription on.

Your thumb isn't wrong, go watch Wang Hao, he unconsciously (or consciously) does that during RPB

If your RPB is hitting the fingers alot, it's more likely to do with your technique, most RPB users move their hand to be the same position as their shoulder (even more!) (The point is the hand needs to be more right if you're a right handed player)

Just practice.



Sent from my M2102J20SG using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2021, 10:40 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 23 Sep 2021, 09:59
Posts: 4
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0 time
Blade: Stiga clipper cc
FH: DHS
BH: Yasaka Rakza 7
Morphold wrote:
Terribly sorry for the late response, I didn't have my subscription on.

Your thumb isn't wrong, go watch Wang Hao, he unconsciously (or consciously) does that during RPB

If your RPB is hitting the fingers alot, it's more likely to do with your technique, most RPB users move their hand to be the same position as their shoulder (even more!) (The point is the hand needs to be more right if you're a right handed player)

Just practice.



Sent from my M2102J20SG using Tapatalk


Got it! Thanks for your advice!

Yes it really does get less strange and feels better with practice. I guess its the difference between a TPB plus also the movement and the new weight/equipment and all that makes it that much longer and harder to get right at the start. But I am getting there!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright 2018 OOAK Table Tennis Forum. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group