OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2022, 18:12 

Blade: Sardius
FH: Tacky Drive Butterfly
BH: Butterfly Super Anti
Considering a radical change to Korean style penhold. My rating (recently updated) 1300. Any advice? How long will it /would it take me to get to 1600? Keep in mind, I’m just considering. Current grip is a modified Seemiller. Thank you!

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2022, 22:40 

Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao II
FH: DHS Hurricane III NEO Pro
BH: Nittaku FastArc-G1
I just stsrted playing around with J/K-pen (~3 weeks) and I feel like its going to take me a very long time to get used to the backhand blocking. I currently do not feel competitive and I'm coming from chinese penhold style. The forehand adjustments were easy but I am being picked apart on my backhand.

I really feel like it will take a lot of training to feel comfortable and get rid of bad habits. With how often I can play (1-2 times a week), it will be years for me. If you can find a coach I HIGHLY recommend it! Good luck on your start.

I realized you made this post in June. Wondering if you made the switch and stuck to it?

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2022, 07:20 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Far too many variables to possibly answer - it depends... a lot. We don't know your strengths and weaknesses - it could be that playing K-pen maximises all your strengths and minimises your weaknesses, or it could be the other way round. How is your footwork? How are your serves? How are you at reading spin? How good is your service return? How do you like to win points? How fit are you? Without knowing some of these, it's impossible for anyone to give any kind of answer.

I bought a J-pen blade earlier this year and played for a few months. Bear in mind I am a LP modern defender... So J-pen, inverted attacker was a radical change.

I found my serves were actually better with penhold, and my FH attack also quite a lot better, and I was much better at generating spin. I already have pretty decent footwork, and go around my BH to attack, so little change there. Of course I didn't have any LP service return tricks, so service return required me to do a lot more touch work and flicks - that was probably good for my game, but probably a net negative, as I've got pretty much a decade of muscle memory with LP, esp. into my BH. In play, I'm used to people trying to pin my on my BH, but with shakehold I have options, either by twiddling, by aggressive pimples shots, or by moving. Not having 2 out of those 3 options was a major difficulty for me, but had I decided to pursue it seriously, I think I would have learned some strategies, and if I knew a good JP player/coach, I would definitely have sought out their advice.

I still play Jpen sometimes, for fun - it's a great style, but for me I think it would have taken at least a season for me to learn the basic strategies, and probably another to develop any proficiency. However, there's a chance that I'd have picked it up more quickly, and perhaps even improved beyond my current level.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2022, 18:11 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

There was a time when Japanese Penhold was the default style for all the schoolkids picking up the game in this part of the world (i.e. South East Asia). Pretty much all the cheap bats you could find (the "serious" kids would buy Butterfly Biribas and the like) were JPen. I think that began to change around 1995-2000... more and more people (or more and more people getting into the game) started playing shakehands. A lot of old timers still play JPen because it's what they learned in the beginning. I think the MAIN difficulty was the backhand topspin drive - for a lot of people it's pretty cramped. A lot of the kids back then had terrible backhands. The strength is blocking in the middle, since there's no forehand/backhand transition. Yeah, there are a lot more options when it comes to serves, and disguising serves. I guess these days there are lots of videos to watch on YouTube.

Iskandar