OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:37

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 06:00 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
DenHerb wrote:
He's so awesome :rofl:
Anybody knows the bh rubber that he used/uses?

Looks who's peeking again at this forum? :D If I remember correctly, he used Feint III, the rubber you asked me a couple of weeks ago. :lol:

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 06:18 

Yes I also heard this, but as I know, there is a Kawa sponge version for the feint 2 that is made especially for Koji's request... so I don't know

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2012, 17:00 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2012, 05:43 

Lorre wrote:
DenHerb wrote:
He's so awesome :rofl:
Anybody knows the bh rubber that he used/uses?

Looks who's peeking again at this forum? :D If I remember correctly, he used Feint III, the rubber you asked me a couple of weeks ago. :lol:

Yeah but like at the time in those videos, what were they using then. I don't know how old feint long 3 is :D

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2012, 07:36 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
DenHerb wrote:
Yeah but like at the time in those videos, what were they using then. I don't know how old feint long 3 is :D

We're only talking about the second half of the '80 and '90 here. :D Here's a link where an eye witness tells he's using Feint III:

http://www.spinmantra.com/tabletennis/blog/wordpress/index.php/2008/03/28/butterfly-feint-long-iii-13mm-review/

Other sites mention he's using the (Kawa version) of the Feint II.

Most of them agree he's using a 0.5mm sponge beneath his pips, which explains why he has so much control in the rally, but also why the rallies take so long. Apparently he prefers the excellent control a thin sponge gives him above the amount of backspin he can create with it.

My guess is that he used Feint II, but because he aged ans slowed down he went to the Feint III to have more control and more time for positioning.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2012, 07:15 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
Two more Matsushita Koji matches:

- Against Zhang Yang, Chinese Super league 2005

- Against Otsu

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2012, 07:26 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

And his final match against Jin Ueda before retiring from active table tennis on 16th january, 2009 (only first 4 sets)

This is what Ian Marshall, ITTF publications editor, wrote about his retirement (already posted somewhere by MNNB but I thought it deserved a place here as well):

In the fifth round of the Men’s Singles event at the Japanese National Championships on Thursday 16th January 2009, Jin Ueda, who has enjoyed success on the ITTF Junior Circuit, duly progressed to the next round.

The statistics read that he posted a seven games victory, winning 11-5, 8-11, 11-8, 12-14, 9-11, 11-2, 11-8.

However, the contest had much more significance; the man he beat was 41 year old Koji Matsushita, who following the end of the match, announced his retirement from competitive play.

Traditional Defender
An era, not only in Japanese table tennis but in world table tennis has come to an end.

Watching Koji Matsushita play was a lesson in traditional defensive perfection; he executed his skills in the mode of his immediate predecessor, Norio Takashima, the classical backspin artist.

Modern Day Defender
He is the last world class player of that ilk.

The modern day male defender in the highest echelons of table tennis possesses a powerful forehand topspin, Korea’s Joo Se Hyuk and China’s Hou Yingchao being masters of the art. Koji Matsushita never possessed a forehand of that genre but opponents will tell you that it was by no means passive and when unleashed was deceptively effective.

Upheld Values
A model player and a model player in more ways than one; table tennis in many ways like golf, is blessed with those who uphold true sporting values. They compete but they never seek to take unfair advantage.

On the ranking list of table tennis gentlemen, the name of Koji Matsushita is at the very top and it was against a man of like character that I first saw Koji Matsushita demonstrate his outstanding talents.

Cleveland Open
In the early 1990s with twin brother Yuji, a right handed penhold grip player, he competed in the Cleveland Open in the north of England and in the latter stages of the Men’s Singles event had to play Desmond Douglas.

I sat courtside watching the contest. Against the traditional defender Desmond Douglas was pretty good, in fact he was very good; his reading of the spin on a table tennis ball was exceptional. Many a time I’d watched England’s defensive ace, Matthew Syed, retrieve the ball from the nether regions of the court against high class international players and succeed.

Different Story
Against Desmond Douglas it was a different story, consistently attacking the long pimples on the backhand with incredible consistency and then waiting for the opportunity to finish the point, saw Desmond Douglas emerge successful time and again.

At the Cleveland Open, Desmond Douglas pursued the same policy against Koji Matsushita; every ball came back from the rock solid defence. It was hard for me to believe what was happening; the Englishman could not penetrate the superb Japanese backspin play.

Koji Matsushita won and English hearts sank.

Appropriate Moment
The skill shown in that contest has delighted crowds around the world and saying farewell at the Japanese National Championships was an appropriate moment.

During his career he won the Men’s Singles title four times and with fellow defender, Hiroshi Shibutani, the Men’s Doubles, seven times. It is a splendid record in a country where excellence in table tennis is so high.

Motivation
“I am so happy to have concluded 32 years of life in table tennis”, said Koji Matsushita. “My motivation to play lapsed last year when I stopped wearing the Japanese shirt but my motivation to help the development of table tennis and help young players is as strong as ever.”

In the role of a player, Koji Matsushita has been a great ambassador for the sport of table tennis; now in a different role, without any shadow of doubt whatsoever, that will continue.

The example he sets is a model for all.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2012, 03:33 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

Wow is it just me or Koji attacks more frequently in his late career?

Thanks for the quality posts, Sir Pipsy.

Edit: Is Otsu using long pips on his forehand or what :o

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2012, 08:16 
Chop the Ball not the Beard!
Chop the Ball not the Beard!

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: hybrid k1 euro
BH: Curl p1r 1.0
MAnnnnnnn i just love to watch Koji Playing

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2012, 21:53 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

YosuaYosan wrote:

Edit: Is Otsu using long pips on his forehand or what :o

Why would you think that? Do you mean his backhand, the black rubber? Hard to tell because he never uses it :-)

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2012, 07:39 

fotta wrote:
Matsushita Koji (松下 浩二) Japan
Style: Longpips BH, classical defender
Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro Model
FH: Butterfly Tackifire 2.1 mm.
BH/RPB: Butterfly Feint Long II, 0.5 mm.

Vs Timo Boll (2000):

Vs Masato Watanabe (2008):

Vs Wang Hao (2009) - Bad Quality:

Greetings

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2013, 05:22 

Koji Matsushita vs. Kong Linghui (2000)

Koji Matsushita vs. Patrick Chila (2006)

Koji Matsushita vs. Seiko Iseki (2002?)

and for fun:
Koji Matushita/Guo Yue vs. Wang Liqin/Ai Fukuhara

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2013, 08:50 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

WTTC 1989 (only 2mm ago :lol: ) North-Korea vs Japan: A great encouter between two fantastic defenders.... Li Gun Sang against a very young Koji Matsushita

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013, 02:35 

His famous 1999 match against Jean-Phillipe Gatien. Almost the full match, but it cuts off during part of game two and picks up during game three.

PostPosted: 16 May 2014, 09:18 
Super User

Let's bring up again some good old matsushita game... here's a tribute you probably didn't see...

He's so artistic and effortless... too ba he didn't really achieve anything important in men singles outside Japan...

BH: Grass D.Tecs 1.5 (black)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!