OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 17:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 10 May 2017, 07:34 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
Is it really that hard to chop with sponge that thick? As you can see, I still play with a pre-made (mainly because I'm so used to it); the FH and BH are only 0.2 mm thinner than the thickness displayed in the picture at the most.

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 10 May 2017, 19:06 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Danthespearton wrote:
Is it really that hard to chop with sponge that thick? As you can see, I still play with a pre-made (mainly because I'm so used to it); the FH and BH are only 0.2 mm thinner than the thickness displayed in the picture at the most.

Play a good looper and you'll know. ;)

PostPosted: 10 May 2017, 23:08 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
Danthespearton wrote:

I find it easier. More cushion. But until you get a non pre-made (just do it man! Lol) you won't have any idea!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 11 May 2017, 00:09 
Super User

leatherback wrote:
Danthespearton wrote:

I find it easier. More cushion. But until you get a non pre-made (just do it man! Lol) you won't have any idea!

:lol: :lol: The only other reason why I'm not using a custom is because I'm broke :oops: I already know what I want, so I'm not going to EJ anymore

PostPosted: 11 May 2017, 11:40 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
Danthespearton wrote:
leatherback wrote:
Danthespearton wrote:

:lol: :lol: The only other reason why I'm not using a custom is because I'm broke :oops: I already know what I want, so I'm not going to EJ anymore

You haven't even EJed....you have just speculated and gathered a bunch of "useless to you unless you try" information while still keeping the same pre-made!

You can get a 10$ blade and 5 dollar pips and a 5 dollar smooth.

That will teach you more then you can possibly learn from forum posts and a pre-made I promise you!

PostPosted: 11 May 2017, 12:04 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
To further hijack this thread: 30$ will get you a custom setup from colestt.com:

Blade: Air Touch 01 or Dawei R2 - 15$
Inverted: Dawei XP 2008 - 8$
Pips: 755 OX- 7$

Zeropong used to sell combo setups for 18$ or so , but no more. I'm sure you can get something below 30$ on eBay/eacheng/aliexpress, you just have to wait a bit longer. It IS cheap and will be very different from your premade. You'll get first hand experience from actually playing with pips and getting the feel for the chops, pushes etc. Another 10-12$ will get you sponged LP later on to compare to. Right now your knowledge is a bit theoretical, I am afraid - forum reading is not a substitute for actual experience.

PostPosted: 13 May 2017, 01:08 
Super User

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk[/quote]
:lol: :lol: The only other reason why I'm not using a custom is because I'm broke :oops: I already know what I want, so I'm not going to EJ anymore[/quote]
You haven't even EJed....you have just speculated and gathered a bunch of "useless to you unless you try" information while still keeping the same pre-made!

That will teach you more then you can possibly learn from forum posts and a pre-made I promise you!

I actually don't want to use an LP, because after reading up a LOT of info, watching countless amounts of footage and playing with people that I don't know, I've decided that I'd rather try a partly grippy SP, as it is apparently very similar to chopping with inverted. Plus, like leatherback has said, I also like the feel of thick sponge; the cushion feels quite nice to me! :lol: :lol: I've also had the opportunity to use a Feint Long 3 and a Dawei 388d1 (normal) while playing a couple of strangers at recreational centers; it really is quite different from what I'm used to. I know that SP would also be quite a change, but I feel like it would take less of a transition. I'm only 14, so I feel as if I could still do this. With my chopping, most people I play usually have a hard time anyways (one time, a guy who looked like he was about 20 years old played had a small hit with me; he had Tenergy 05 on both sides and he had a very good loop. His looping forced me to rethink the entire concept of looping, I had never experienced so much spin and speed before; even so, I was able to chop it back up to 4 times max; either he would net the ball, or it would just fly by me :P), so I feel pretty confident. Besides, I've only been playing a little over a year now, so I can always look for guidance in the future as well.

PostPosted: 13 May 2017, 01:14 
Super User

Danthespearton wrote:

:lol: :lol: The only other reason why I'm not using a custom is because I'm broke :oops: I already know what I want, so I'm not going to EJ anymore[/quote]

I actually don't want to use an LP, because after reading up a LOT of info, watching countless amounts of footage and playing with people that I don't know, I've decided that I'd rather try a partly grippy SP, as it is apparently very similar to chopping with inverted. Plus, like leatherback has said, I also like the feel of thick sponge; the cushion feels quite nice to me! :lol: :lol: I've also had the opportunity to use a Feint Long 3 and a Dawei 388d1 (normal) while playing a couple of strangers at recreational centers; it really is quite different from what I'm used to. I know that SP would also be quite a change, but I feel like it would take less of a transition. I'm only 14, so I feel as if I could still do this. With my chopping, most people I play usually have a hard time anyways (one time, a guy who looked like he was about 20 years old played had a small hit with me; he had Tenergy 05 on both sides and he had a very good loop. His looping forced me to rethink the entire concept of looping, I had never experienced so much spin and speed before; even so, I was able to chop it back up to 4 times max; either he would net the ball, or it would just fly by me :P), so I feel pretty confident. Besides, I've only been playing a little over a year now, so I can always look for guidance in the future as well.[/quote]
Just to clarify what I meant by LP's feeling different from what I'm used to, chopping is sooo very nice. Sure, they weren't as dangerous as my chopping with my premade (LP's gave constant medium to heavy backspin whereas I'm able to send back a no-spin, sidespin, and underspin chop with my premade), but I felt as if I could return everything. HOWEVER, I struggled close to the table; I would net the ball all the time, pushing felt TOO slow and dead, and ironically, I LIKE SLOW AND DEAD because I can control the ball better.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2017, 20:28 
Joo Too
Joo Too

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2017, 21:55 
Joo Too
Joo Too

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2017, 03:48 
Joo Too
Joo Too

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

Last edited by Lorre on 21 Sep 2017, 03:52, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 14:34 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
On a game like that, where the Britt was basically beating herself by missing attacks (of course due to Han's variations and such, to give her full credit)... would it not be better to do a push battle, force the expedite rule and then make Han Ying attempt to attack? Maybe Britt didn't think she could last that long out pushing the fox :lol:

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 16:26 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
Han Ying is no pushover ! Damn the amount of knuckle balls and just heavy spin-reversals, must have played sooo many tricks on Britt's mind!

That is one TOUGH match for Britt! If you watch the first 6 points at the beginning of the match, the spin-reversal was sooo heavy that Britt just couldn't lift the ball !!!

Then the last 6 points of the match, soooo many deceptive no-spin / semi-spin / heavy-spin balls! And then Han Ying starts attacking!

After a match like that, I would just give up trying to win against choppers :lol:

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 23:55 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence II
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-P 2.2
BH: TSP Curl P1r 0.5mm
man_iii wrote:
Han Ying is no pushover ! Damn the amount of knuckle balls and just heavy spin-reversals, must have played sooo many tricks on Britt's mind!

That is one TOUGH match for Britt! If you watch the first 6 points at the beginning of the match, the spin-reversal was sooo heavy that Britt just couldn't lift the ball !!!

Then the last 6 points of the match, soooo many deceptive no-spin / semi-spin / heavy-spin balls! And then Han Ying starts attacking!

After a match like that, I would just give up trying to win against choppers :lol:

Britt started to play as vs LP.
but there are significant differences playing vs LP or SP

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2017, 22:54 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next