OOAK Table Tennis Forum


A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 22 Nov 2019, 21:39


Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 399 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2018, 08:29 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 14 Dec 2013, 08:26
Posts: 201
Location: USA
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 49 times
Blade: TSP Balsa 3.5 Def+
FH: Victas V>01 Limber 2mm
BH: Spectol 21 1.4-1.7mm
And btw, what TSP sponge would it be?

_________________
TSP Balsa 3.5 Def+ / Victas V01 Limber 2.0mm / Spectol 21 1.5mm

Before Modern Defense (in black playing a 2100+ player:https://youtu.be/if__7emBFqA


Top
 Profile  
 


PostPosted: 21 Aug 2018, 11:51 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 08 Dec 2013, 07:59
Posts: 29
Location: Portland, OR
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times
and which packet color for the topsheet?

_________________
Video


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2018, 11:57 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 14 Dec 2013, 08:26
Posts: 201
Location: USA
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 49 times
Blade: TSP Balsa 3.5 Def+
FH: Victas V>01 Limber 2mm
BH: Spectol 21 1.4-1.7mm
Eric Fountain wrote:
and which packet color for the topsheet?


Probably the yellow one, the Ox with some 1.5mm sponge...
Btw, I didn't know that TSP (not Ma Te's sponge) sells sponges only unless it's from another rubber.

_________________
TSP Balsa 3.5 Def+ / Victas V01 Limber 2.0mm / Spectol 21 1.5mm

Before Modern Defense (in black playing a 2100+ player:https://youtu.be/if__7emBFqA


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2018, 23:02 
Offline
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat
User avatar

Joined: 18 Feb 2010, 21:44
Posts: 1103
Location: Canada
Has thanked: 226 times
Been thanked: 268 times
Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
Lorre wrote:
leatherback wrote:
I personally think he reads this forum and said "hey! leatherback has been using that custom combo of palio ck531a and tsp sponge for the past 2 years, i think i should switch to it"

:D:D

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk


It would be a big coïncidence if the sponge Ma Te is using is the TSP sponge and you both are playing the same combo. You're not telling us all there is to it, are you, leatherback? ;)
Its a secret lol

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2018, 22:30 
Offline
Super User
User avatar

Joined: 22 Jun 2013, 20:39
Posts: 413
Location: Milan (italy)
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 122 times
I just realised this guy is probably the defender with more variations i have ever seen:
- He cuts but also pushes/swipes with the long pimples, also on the FH
- He twiddles to cut and attack with inverted on BH
- On FH he chops (also with pimples) fishes and counterloops
The only thing he never does is using pimples like inverted (hits and smashes) as Joo does. That said, he has everything in the arsenal.
The best thing is that these variations are added to a very solid defensive basis, built on his athletics and good tecniques.

If he is really 22 i think he is going to go far... hoping rules don't change in a bad way for choppers.

The only real weakness i find in him is that he's too passive. I know, it seems a paradox since he attacks a lot even with the backhand, but i'll try to explain what i mean. My impression is that he's built as a defender more than a modern defender, he attacks or counter attacks almost only whe he is "forced" to do so, that is when he can end the point with a single attack or when a ball is easier to attack than to defend (for example high loops or fast attacks on his FH). After his first or second attack, if the point doesn't end, he often quickly returns to defence, and when he keeps attacking he often looses the point. In general he really struggles when the game speeds up (and he is quite near the table in an attacking stance) and so he needs to slow it down... Joo for example felt much more in control in those kind of rallies, keeping attacking with FH and BH after taking the initiative for the first time. The other reason i call him "passive" is the lack of third ball attacks; i feel they are quite rare, and, like before, limited to very weak receives.
It's like if he has not the attacking mindset :^)

I'm curious to see if ooak members agree or if i'm the only one to think that :)

_________________
My Paddle
Blade: Butterfly Defence III ST
FH: Baracuda 2.0 (red)
BH: Curl p1-r 1.5 (black)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 24 Aug 2018, 17:14 
Offline
Joo Too
Joo Too
User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2008, 18:31
Posts: 3921
Location: Dendermonde, Belgium
Has thanked: 1037 times
Been thanked: 551 times
Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: ?
RevanII wrote:
I just realised this guy is probably the defender with more variations i have ever seen:
- He cuts but also pushes/swipes with the long pimples, also on the FH
- He twiddles to cut and attack with inverted on BH
- On FH he chops (also with pimples) fishes and counterloops
The only thing he never does is using pimples like inverted (hits and smashes) as Joo does. That said, he has everything in the arsenal.
The best thing is that these variations are added to a very solid defensive basis, built on his athletics and good tecniques.

If he is really 22 i think he is going to go far... hoping rules don't change in a bad way for choppers.

The only real weakness i find in him is that he's too passive. I know, it seems a paradox since he attacks a lot even with the backhand, but i'll try to explain what i mean. My impression is that he's built as a defender more than a modern defender, he attacks or counter attacks almost only whe he is "forced" to do so, that is when he can end the point with a single attack or when a ball is easier to attack than to defend (for example high loops or fast attacks on his FH). After his first or second attack, if the point doesn't end, he often quickly returns to defence, and when he keeps attacking he often looses the point. In general he really struggles when the game speeds up (and he is quite near the table in an attacking stance) and so he needs to slow it down... Joo for example felt much more in control in those kind of rallies, keeping attacking with FH and BH after taking the initiative for the first time. The other reason i call him "passive" is the lack of third ball attacks; i feel they are quite rare, and, like before, limited to very weak receives.
It's like if he has not the attacking mindset :^)

I'm curious to see if ooak members agree or if i'm the only one to think that :)


The eternal question... How much does a defender need to attack? If too little he's a sitting duck. Too much and he'll be played as an attacking player in which he ultimately will succumb. From what I've seen he changes tactics on this line depending on the opponent.

I think Joo could keep attacking with the FH, but not the BH. Ma Te can do both, but with less consistency. I find Ma Te, if becoming more consistent, to be an upgrade of Joo in this department.

Ma Te is also the only defender I've seen to have beaten Joo.

You're right on the third ball attacks. I'm sure this will become part of his game.

Ma Te isn't a finished "product" yet, but is capable of defeating the best on Earth. For me this proves, if China wants to produce a world number 1 defender, they are capable of doing so.

_________________
There's always stuff to improve!

My blog on transitioning from a LP to a SP defender


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 24 Aug 2018, 23:43 
Offline
Senior member
User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2016, 02:54
Posts: 105
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 65 times
Blade: VKMD
FH: Hurricane 3
BH: SSPC 2, 1.5
Hopefully we will be able to see him in more world tour events

_________________
"It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done" - Terry Pratchett


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2018, 03:39 
Offline
Super User
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jan 2009, 02:32
Posts: 311
Location: MD, USA
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 89 times
Blade: VKMO
FH: V>15 Extra
BH: Curl P4
He just lost badly in the Qualification round of the Czech open. This is right after making it to the Semis in Bulgaria. :(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 26 Aug 2018, 00:36 
Offline
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2014, 13:38
Posts: 2476
Location: Washington DC
Has thanked: 553 times
Been thanked: 495 times
Blade: TSP Balsa 3.5 DEF+
FH: Xiom Omega IV Asia 2.0
BH: Xiom Vega Europe 2.0/Max
leatherback wrote:
Lorre wrote:
leatherback wrote:
I personally think he reads this forum and said "hey! leatherback has been using that custom combo of palio ck531a and tsp sponge for the past 2 years, i think i should switch to it"

:D:D

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk


It would be a big coïncidence if the sponge Ma Te is using is the TSP sponge and you both are playing the same combo. You're not telling us all there is to it, are you, leatherback? ;)
Its a secret lol

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk


We all know it’s a Kawa sponge Alex!

_________________
Blog: "Holy Chtchet!"Rating: 1615

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018, 02:21 
Offline
Senior member

Joined: 02 May 2017, 11:49
Posts: 181
Location: CT, USA
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 33 times
Blade: VKMO (FL)
FH: Hurricane 2 (black)
BH: TSP Curl P1r 1.0 (red)
notfound123 wrote:
He just lost badly in the Qualification round of the Czech open. This is right after making it to the Semis in Bulgaria. :(


Can anyone find video of this match? I've had no luck on YouTube.

Curious to see how it went down. As you mentioned, he played very well in Bulgaria:

won against Par Gerell
won against Kim Minhyeok
won against Maharu Yoshimura
won against Liam Pitchford
won against Daniel Habesohn
lost against Xu Xin in the final (good match even though it was straight sets)

_________________
Seeking joy and fitness in recreational modern defense.
My blog: "Two rubbers, one racket"
Kill the game against long Pimps with Coach Li!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018, 18:32 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 22 Feb 2017, 04:18
Posts: 475
Location: Wakefield UK
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 71 times
Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Joola Rhyzer 43
BH: 388c1
It was interesting to compare his games against Pitchford and Xu Xin. Ma Te could not handle on his BH the huge variation in spin and speed from Xu from slow heavy topspin to almost fiat hits whilst against Liam's more consistent loops he seemed to have little trouble chopping back.

Also his Forehand is really strong for a defender with as you say good variety.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 22:49 
Offline
Joo Too
Joo Too
User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2008, 18:31
Posts: 3921
Location: Dendermonde, Belgium
Has thanked: 1037 times
Been thanked: 551 times
Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: ?

_________________
There's always stuff to improve!

My blog on transitioning from a LP to a SP defender


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 01:55 
Offline
Senior member
User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2016, 02:54
Posts: 105
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 65 times
Blade: VKMD
FH: Hurricane 3
BH: SSPC 2, 1.5

_________________
"It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done" - Terry Pratchett


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 02:00 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 11 May 2013, 18:01
Posts: 713
Location: Podunk Pongville USA MALE
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 29 times
Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
His long pips rubber CK531A works good in OX for a push blocker style, close to the table.

_________________
Panda Drive / 4H Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0 / BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max / Play right-handed
XVT balsa carbon 10mm / 4H Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0 / BH Globe 979 Long Pips OX / Play Left-handed shakehand
Stiga Def Wood / 4H Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0 / BH GD CC LP OX .. Play Left-handed
Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2018, 19:26 
Offline
Joo Too
Joo Too
User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2008, 18:31
Posts: 3921
Location: Dendermonde, Belgium
Has thanked: 1037 times
Been thanked: 551 times
Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: ?
Chinese Superleague 2018-2019:


_________________
There's always stuff to improve!

My blog on transitioning from a LP to a SP defender


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 399 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next


Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright 2018 OOAK Table Tennis Forum. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group