OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 10:38

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2019, 02:55 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Lorre wrote:
If we define attack as the only way to win a game or to be successful as a defender, then it's indeed shocking. However, that's not the only way and it's proven in this game. He probably felt his attacks weren't penetrating enough, so he went full wall mode.

I would, of course, never say that an "attack [is] the only way to win a game or to be successful as a defender." I don't think anyone would say that. And, as I pointed out, he knows what he's doing and found a way to win. It's shocking only in the sense that it's not at all what you would expect of a defender at that level. Imagine, for example, that we are watching a "good" tt player and his opponent gives him a very manageable lob, and instead of smashing it, he just carefully puts it back on his opponent's side of the table and keeps playing the point. Even if he goes on to win the point, it would still be shocking that he didn't smash the lob. That's really all I'm saying about Chtchetinine here. Some of those balls to his backhand that he declined to attack, especially toward the very end of the match, were almost short pop-ups to his backhand, which should be easy putaways for a pips player. I'd expect someone at his level to finish the point on those. But he didn't and chose instead to keep playing these points and, as a result, having to play more risky and technically difficult chops against strong attacks. I guess that's what he's comfortable with, but it's surprising.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2019, 03:18 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
TraditionalTradesman wrote:
I would, of course, never say that an "attack [is] the only way to win a game or to be successful as a defender." I don't think anyone would say that. And, as I pointed out, he knows what he's doing and found a way to win. It's shocking only in the sense that it's not at all what you would expect of a defender at that level. Imagine, for example, that we are watching a "good" tt player and his opponent gives him a very manageable lob, and instead of smashing it, he just carefully puts it back on his opponent's side of the table and keeps playing the point. Even if he goes on to win the point, it would still be shocking that he didn't smash the lob. That's really all I'm saying about Chtchetinine here. Some of those balls to his backhand that he declined to attack, especially toward the very end of the match, were almost short pop-ups to his backhand, which should be easy putaways for a pips player. I'd expect someone at his level to finish the point on those. But he didn't and chose instead to keep playing these points and, as a result, having to play more risky and technically difficult chops against strong attacks. I guess that's what he's comfortable with, but it's surprising.

On this forum no one would say that: true. In the rest of the world... Not so much. :(

The majority of players would indeed attack those balls, including a lot of defenders. But, I think skilless_slapper is spot on here, he felt his attacks weren't penetrating enough. Chtchetinine, the tactical master mind he is, immediately went to plan B: wall. A lot of defenders might have lost the game here, because their attacks aren't strong enough to win in an attack attack rally and their first attack wouldn't prevent this kind of rally of happening.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2019, 03:46 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
The chet plays kind of like me (or is it me like him :lol: )... where you can tell he just loves defending and returning the ball, trying to mess the other guy up. But hes learned that the attack is necessary to keep his opponents honest. Even if he doesnt do it all the time, the threat has to be there. I think hes only attacking enough to win in his mind. Hes not being ravenous, frothing at the mouth trying to hammer the guy into the dirt. But he lets him know, "hey buddy... that kind of ball? Not in here, kid! Whap!" Chet is trying to force him to play at a certain level that he likes to defend against. And when that level drops a tad too low, wam! Chet reminds him to keep his game strong or else...

I suffer from the same plight as him, where he doesnt attack what to most people are "easy" balls. That has upset more than a few of my doubles partners :rofl: but it comes down to styles and preferences.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2019, 04:28 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Agree with both of the above comments. I'm more simply remarking on what to me is an unusual tactical choice at this level of play.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2019, 06:34 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Yeah, I get ya! He just has to be exceptionally good at the other areas to make up for it -- when it would seem a simple counter-hit with the pips would win more points with less effort.

To me it means his defense must be several levels higher than the attacking player's offense. Otherwise he'd lose giving up those 'freebie' points... but because his defense is that good, he can afford to be lackluster in other areas most of the time. Kind of like those offensive guys you would look at say 'does he have a backhand!?' nope, didn't need because his forehand was smashing guys out left and right. Would he have been better with one? Sure... but I guess again preferences and training time play a role

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!