OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2021, 03:14 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I don't pretend to know how the YouTube algorithm thinks, but a few minutes ago it brought up this oldie but goodie. It bears watching again, especially since people are discussing "drift" and "no drift" on that gigantic "How to do the shot" thread. Those of us who've seen this before deserve to be reminded of this now and again, and there are many newcomers to the forum who haven't seen it yet. And it's something that applies to everyone, no matter what your style. Well, maybe it doesn't apply to hardbat but I wouldn't bet on it... :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2021, 21:50 

The video makes sense. However, I wouldn't do it as loosely as the guy in the video, because there is a high risk of damaging your wrist badly if you use too little muscles. What I do is: I start relaxed, at the contact point I strain the muscles to give more acceleration, and I don't let go the strain until the end of the motion (full wrist stop). If you let your wrist slap back and forth like he shows at the beginning, I feel like it will end badly sooner or later, especially with weaker wrists.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2021, 01:03 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I guess the point to the video is that you're not supposed to use the wrist muscles to move the wrist - you use the arm muscles to accelerate the wrist/hand and then stop the arm so the hand snaps forward at the wrist - this is what leads to high racket head speeds and high spin. And yes, it does work and all the pros you see on YouTube use it whether they're aware of it or not. I must say, watching that video you posted, your serves aren't bad at all - you can actually generate enough spin to do a ghost serve.

I've actually faced Brett's serves - believe me, he really puts spin on the ball. And he can make topspin and backspin serves look identical. I didn't get a single one back. Even when I guessed correctly the backspin serves has so much spin they ended up in the net. He knows what he's talking about, he's currently coaching the Indian national team.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2021, 17:14 

Yeah, I don't disagree with the video. It is a good educational video! The only thing I'm pointing out, that I think wasn't covered in the video, is that if you let the wrist stay relaxed at the end of the motion, it might be a little bit dangerous. Obviously, I'm not a doctor, so I cannot factually confirm this, it's just what I feel like based on experience, but I know from the club I used to go to many years ago, the most popular wrist injury was because a person is relaxing the wrist almost completely during backhand topspin, which also requires this whip action. And I also remember that awful feeling myself, as I have injured the wrist during judo and then volleyball in the childhood. So, it's just a warning for people to not go too hard when trying this element, if you feel like you don't have pretty strong wrists. :)