OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 07:12

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2008, 14:29 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

You will come to find that Dan Seemiller is not only a class player, but a class person and coach. I have had the pleasure of meeting him on several occations and played against him 1 time. No, I didnt beat him. I will tell you one thing that still impresses me to this day. I can walk into a tourney and have not talked or seen Coach Seemiller in a few months and say "hey coach" and he will look at me and say without even thinking "hey Joe". Now understand that he has coached hundreds if not thousands of players over the years so for him to remember me. A middle age junk player. I just think he is a great guy.

Coach Seemiller and Coach Nordby have a great thing going on up there and maybe someday if the wife and money permit I will make it up to one of his seminars.

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2008, 15:17 
Reverend Reversal

Blade: Rendler Smart
FH: Hurricane 8 hard
BH: Grass DTechs OX
I'd like to add to GrumpyJoe's comment about Dan Seemiller...being a modified Seemiller grip player myself, I had wanted for over 20 years to meet Dan. I finally got the opportunity at a tournament in the Milwaukee area this past year. Dan is definitely a classy guy. Example: Dan was preparing for his finals match, and my son and I walked on over to get a picture with Dan and have him sign my copy of his table tennis book, "Winning Table Tennis". I didn't realize that Dan was at that moment actually heading out into the arena to play his match. Under the circumstances, I would have totally understood if he had said, "Hey, could you wait until later please?" But he didn't. He took the time for a few pictures, signed my book, exchanged a few pleasantries, and then went straight over to play his finals match. When I saw him head straight over to the match, I felt a little bad at first for having potentially interfered with his pre-game focus and concentration. But it didn't seem to bother him, and I was all the more impressed by his classy way of handling it all.

By the way, Dan's book, "Winning Table Tennis" is a fantastic resource. There is so much great information packed into that book. I found Dan's thoughts and advice on the mental aspects of the game to be especially helpful. I have dropped lots of hints to my family to get Dan's Table Tennis DVD for me for Christmas. If they don't, then Daddy's going to have to get that Christmas present for himself (I'll just trade in a few of those dopey Christmas ties I always get, and I should have enough). I'm really looking forward to that DVD, especially with the reviews I'm hearing on it.

Dan, if you read this, thanks so much for everything you give to this sport. And thanks for the time you spent with my son and I at the Milwaukee tournament.

Blade - Rendler Smart FH - Hurricane 8 hard black BH - Grass DTechs OX red
Blade - BBC 9/10/9 FH - Hurricane 8 black BH - Dragon Talon OX red
Blade - Hallmark Aurora FH - Hurricane 8 black BH - Joola Badman OX red

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2008, 16:04 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Jim,
His book has been in my bag for years also. It is getting ragged from all the use with students at the college. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2008, 23:57 

haggisv wrote:
MrSeemiller1 wrote:
No I don't think making the switch is a good idea.

I'm curious why you would say that?

I say that because any grip switch is incredibly difficult and would take 12-18 months just to get comfortable. It can be done but only with determination and willpower.
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2008, 23:33 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
JimWeiland wrote:
I'd like to add to GrumpyJoe's comment about Dan Seemiller...being a modified Seemiller grip player myself, I had wanted for over 20 years to meet Dan. I finally got the opportunity at a tournament in the Milwaukee area this past year. Dan is definitely a classy guy. Example: Dan was preparing for his finals match, and my son and I walked on over to get a picture with Dan and have him sign my copy of his table tennis book, "Winning Table Tennis". I didn't realize that Dan was at that moment actually heading out into the arena to play his match. Under the circumstances, I would have totally understood if he had said, "Hey, could you wait until later please?" But he didn't. He took the time for a few pictures, signed my book, exchanged a few pleasantries, and then went straight over to play his finals match. When I saw him head straight over to the match, I felt a little bad at first for having potentially interfered with his pre-game focus and concentration. But it didn't seem to bother him, and I was all the more impressed by his classy way of handling it all.

By the way, Dan's book, "Winning Table Tennis" is a fantastic resource. There is so much great information packed into that book. I found Dan's thoughts and advice on the mental aspects of the game to be especially helpful. I have dropped lots of hints to my family to get Dan's Table Tennis DVD for me for Christmas. If they don't, then Daddy's going to have to get that Christmas present for himself (I'll just trade in a few of those dopey Christmas ties I always get, and I should have enough). I'm really looking forward to that DVD, especially with the reviews I'm hearing on it.

Dan, if you read this, thanks so much for everything you give to this sport. And thanks for the time you spent with my son and I at the Milwaukee tournament.

LOL Jim, I love the tie trade-ins for the DVD!!! :lol: :lol:

Btw, did Dan win that match, or can he blame it on you for his loss? :twisted:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2008, 23:47 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Actually I had missed this thread until now. Just gone back through it. Very interesting thread.

Well now we have Dan Seemiller here I first have to say my own Welcome.

I can honestly say I had never heard the name Seemiller until I joined this forum. Now, all I hear is Seemiller this, Seemiller that...and that's just from Hookshot! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously Dan, you've obviously made a huge impact in the world of Tabletennis, and I'm amazed there isn't a range of TT blades and rubbers out there called Mr. Seemiller (seeing as Dr. is already taken).

Now the only thing I don't like about the seemiller grip, or modified versions of it, is I find it nigh impossible to use. But I'm sure if Glueless can use it, it can't be all that hard. :P

It is a privelage to have you here Dan, and I really hope you become as avid a fan of this forum as I have become. Mind you, I don't think you will ever get the number of fans on here as I have! :lol: :lol:

By the way, can we tempt you over to the Dark side? :twisted:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2008, 00:58 

Hi again,
To those that use my grip Over the years I have tinkered with it so I can somewhat handle all shots. First of all I do not put my thumb up on the blade. Many players think that. On the FH counter and block it is almost exactly the same as a shakehand player. FH loop topspin it is turned closed a little to a western grip. On the BH counter the blade slips halfway down the thumb and the forefinger grips the top edge this is done to open the blade face -- on the bh push the thumb goes on the handle to open the blade. Seems confusing but once you practice these positions it does become more natural. Occasionally I get caught in a grip switch.
I would not expect someone to know these techniques but to be successful at this grip they are necessary.
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2008, 04:48 
Super User

Dan,

Thanks for the great reply. As I would love to discuss your grip and all windshield wiper grips in general, and it does not really belong in this post about your DVD set, I have started another thread here:

http://forum.oneofakindtrading.com.au/viewtopic.php?p=65113

If you are so inclined, I invite you (and all other users of your grip and its variations) to join me there!

Saviga V 0.6