OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:09

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 May 2011, 05:59 
Super User

josephs wrote:
I take back my previous comment about it not chopping well. I chops fine. I tried again the other day.

Here's a question: do you find it inconsistent to play with? Sometimes my ball will project much lower than expected and go right into the net. Blocking is the same.

I am not a blocker, but I assume you just have to practice with it long enough to learn the angles. Also so much depends on the blade you are using. In theory it should be a very consistent rubber because it should absorb spin, scrub it off , and then add some of it own.

The problem with chopping with it is that you can not make your opponent fear going into the net-meaning, if they are careful they should not have yo worry about spin reversal. In the chess match that occurs on the table, they can move your around without worry about how much under spin is on the ball. At some point you have to return to the table and counter the loop, or twiddle.

For me, I would twiddle if I am away from the table and chopping with it. My opponents are very surprised when they are getting a lot of light chop from 563, and then get a loaded chop off my inverted-voyage to the bottom of the net!

Ian

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2011, 11:00 

I used this rubber on the forehand today. Although you all use it on the BH, i thought it'd be interesting to share that i too had the same problems as josephs, if i played a passive block, it would bottom out very often. I played with a 1.5mm sponge by the way. I found though, instead of a block, a soft drive is a much better option to safely dropshot/change angle. I also noticed, a soft drive had some amount of reversal and so did the block. On smashes, it sadly does not.

I wouldn't say its not consistent though, if anything its extremely consistent. I love this rubber, it's the perfect rubber for my flat forehand. And not for those who have the half inverted/roll/flat shot. I found in terms of the angle, if you used the "straight line technique" it worked 90% of the time.

And i've only used this rubber for a few hours, so hopefully gonna get time to do some real training with it.

What's spin if you can't reach the ball?
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/7742/47093631.gif

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 20:10 

Thanks, ian demagi, for the review. I realise now that I bought 563 probably because of the review (so pls send check!). I'm using a hardbat now - looping hard with sponge and inverted rubber aggravated my shoulder and elbow injuries and I find the tiny 'dwell' time of no sponge doesn't hurt. Interesting observations from everyone. I compared 563 to 799 and 802, all OX, which I find really gives you a clear idea of what the rubber is about. A couple hours on the robot and against a few live opponents.

The return from 563 has slow round arc. So a fairly high throw that drops short with low speed (nice because it stays on table). In comparison the 799, when punch blocking can be very flat and projects deeper, longer throw. 802 closer to 799: low throw, flat blocking trajectory.

When countering topspin, both BH and FH, I find myself using a slower arm, wrist action for 563 than the other two. Deals with incoming topspin very well and counters on the rise or at top of bounce with good control. Consistent arc, then drops on the table. Very nice.

On FH against opponent I found myself using a very flat horizontal motion with a measured amount of force, contrasted with 802, which I sometimes hit really hard even when the ball is low because I can create a little topspin. I like the flat stroke very much. josephs mentioned this too. I agree. For smashing I found myself smashing in the same measured way. The higher the ball the more power I used. I think it smashes wonderfully.

BH Chop blocking and punch blocking. 563 can do them, but they are not its strength. Especially compared with 799, which I have found is fantastic at chop blocking and punch blocking. 802 is very good as well. With 563 you can drop them very short, after they do that little high arc. But for forceful punch blocking, adding sidespin, adding pace etc, no. 799 and 802 are way better.

Serving: Hard to get spin with 563. With 802 you can adress the ball with the most oblique angle and serve short and get a tremendous amount of spin. With 799 I have to adress the ball at slightly less of an angle, still get great spin. With 563, at a sharp angle the pips just bend and the ball falls short with little spin. In order to get spin you have to address the ball at less angle, which results in more speed, so in order to get high spin you with a ball that is travelling fast, ending up with a long serve. If I were going to use 563 for serving I'd be thinking deception: big arm motion for an underspin serve that doesn't actually have much spin. Mixing it up with fast, long serves. 563 does all the typical pips out fast, flicky serves fine. One of the set-ups I used against opponents was 563 on FH and 802 on BH. I definitely would be twidding: serving with the 802 then twiddling to get the 563 on my FH.

I really like 563. My inclination is to use it on FH for it's countering ability. The measured stroke I find myself using with it really suits my FH. For backhand I would use it too if I was into countering (like miao miao and tayna bahn. By the way, I watched some vids of Tayna and saw her countering with her BH, no punch blocking heavy topspin on her BH that I could see). In fact I may try it on both BH and FH. My reservations on BH are that I don't feel it is that strong for blocking, and I block close to table on BH, can't help it! Also, with BH, the very wristy flicky stroke used on balls on the rise can be done great with 802 as well. 563 BH stroke is slightly slower flick, less manic than 802. Very nice, actually.

563 is very good for my injuries. I feel less friction on the ball with this rubber (more spin passes through), which results in less torque build-up in my injured ligaments, which means I should probably be playing with it BH and FH. I think actually I will try it on both BH and FH tomorrow at my friendly Friday knock-up with a couple of friends. For competition, however, I would really feel inadequate in the serving department, where I would want my 802 to deliver sharp spin on short serves. I realise I haven't mentioned 563 in relation to dealing with backspin. I'll get to that another time. By the way I think all three of these rubbers are great...for different things obviously but they are all good rubbers.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011, 01:35 
Super User

I always use sponge (no matter the paddle) on the 563, I used 1.5mm. I use it on my main blade the YYFX and on a backup blade Yasaka Cougar (1 ply Hinoki) with Stiga Radical 2.0mm on the forehand, but I twiddle (yes even using 2 different pips out) and it is a hell of a difference.

With the 35mm sponge off the Cougar there is just zero arch for me, and I am almost always playing with the head of the blade up ala Milan Orlowski. It "chops" pretty well (off the the YYFX-too fast off the Cougar) but not much spin like you said-the stroke is a chopping stroke but there is not much backspin. Blocking and countering is dead, dead ,dead and really fast off the Cougar.

I rarely serve with it-that's part of what the Radical is for.

Watch Miao Miao on the vid's section. She is a clinic on how this rubber should be used.

Good Luck,

ian

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2011, 09:29 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

563 OX is very good for quick flat hitting through every spin. you can drive so-spin balls, and punch slow spinny loops. also has a very annoying (for opponent) sinking effect on balls.

Glennholder, this is a good rubber. you should give it a try...i think you'll like it.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2012, 22:07 

Please compare the performance of 563-1 with sponge such as 1.5 mm vs 563 35 deg soft, and perhaps Armstrong 8M. I am interested in the following characteristics:

1. spin reversal effect
2. weirdness effect (floating, wobbling ball)
3. consistency/ease in attacking stroke (block, topspin, chop block) against topspin/loop vs underspin/chop
4. durability (how long before pips break?)

Any input would be appreciated.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2019, 06:27 
Super User

Hello,

Head-up for half-long fan's

I currently play with Yinhe Pluto 1.5mm (red color) since a while now.
I've received a Friendship 563 mystery III sponge 1.5mm (red color) -> https://revspin.net/pips/729-563-mystery-iii.html

The Pluto is very deceptive, not as the Giant Dragon 612 but far more controlable and with training you can attack with (I use it on BH with TSP 5.5 All+ blade)

I will keep you updated.

Brahms

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!