OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:55

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nittaku Pimplemini
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2013, 10:26 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Another good effect I got was a sidespin push after a couple of normal pushes, in fact the normal pushes end up with unpredictable amounts of spin sometimes, I think this rubber is a lot harder to play against than it seems to the user, because its very very easy to use.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2013, 14:18 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
Foam and Dunc are getting my EJ part of the brain ticking.

To the two of you:
How is serve return? (Does it work like a long pip? Does it work like a short pip?)

Is there a way you deal with specific serves using pimplemini?

Do you find specific serves difficult to return?

Foam: Is it easier to hit with than 388d1ox? How does the backspin compare on chops?

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2013, 14:38 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

It returns serve like a medium pip. Its easier to hit with than 388d1, harder to hit with than Dr Evil. Although all three are relatively easy. Returning serve is easy for all serves, no problem there. I don't think the backspin against loop is as heavy as 388d1 but the average chop for me is better, it makes good spin in the short game, I do though once in a while hit absurdly good chops with 388d1. Pimplemini is practically as easy to play as inverted. You don't get slip off the pips like you do with a short pip when you go for too much blade angle either, that's good. I'm interested in trying other short long pips of this type of rubber but for now I'm very happy with this one.

I think it depends how good you are, I find long pips are quite demanding and I also figure not that many guys learning to chop with pips are generally going to be a much better player than me. So I figure if I struggle with them, most people must be. So I can conclude pinplemini is good for everyone that isn't 100% happy with long pips. :up:

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2013, 15:37 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
foam wrote:
So I can conclude pinplemini is good for everyone that isn't 100% happy with long pips. :up:

I guess they're not for me then :devil: :P :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2013, 15:42 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

It totally wouldn't work for you Reb, way too grippy.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2013, 19:50 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Is Pimplemini anything near the TSP Millitall II foam? I often get the two mixed up as the names are similar...but if the characteristics are similar too it's not so bad. :oops: :lol:

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2013, 21:09 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Here's my footage. Loads of non-related stuff in there too so don't watch the full thing |-)

Here are the Pimplemini segments:

1m13s: Some pretty horrendous topspin attempts
1m56s: Accidental spin-kill
2m01s: The power of such a versatile rubber!
2m08s: Chop one, loop the push
2m45s: He's such a child!
9m03s: Serve receive practice (some with inverted but quite a lot with the Pimplemini)
15m18s: Coach absolutely demolishes me. First time I think he's ever played against me at close to his actual best

Considering that was the first time I've used the rubber, and considering its thickness, I'm really impressed. The sheer level of versatility it offers is just incredible.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2013, 00:22 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Haggisv, I havent tried millitall, I'm not sure where that rubber fits in the TSP line. P3 Curl alpha r looks similar in pip size and height at least.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2013, 02:00 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
Is the sponge hard or soft? I tend to prefer hard sponge on pips like p1r or octopus...
I have tried 755-2 and militall2.
I feel like militall 2 had too much space between each pip and too soft sponge for me.
755-2 was fine for me but lately I prefer 388d1 ox and hellfire ox
I tend to chop more than hit. Hitting is more of a change up for me though fairly easy to do.

I have been thinking pimple mini would get me into attack mode more

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2013, 02:35 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate
FH: DrN Dominance Spin Hard
BH: DrN Troublemaker 0.5
tabesamis wrote:
Is the sponge hard or soft? I tend to prefer hard sponge on pips like p1r or octopus...
I feel like militall 2 had too much space between each pip and too soft sponge for me.

The sponge is very soft and the rubber is quite similar to millitall2.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2013, 07:11 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Matt Pimple wrote:
tabesamis wrote:

The sponge is very soft and the rubber is quite similar to millitall2.

Thanks Matt Pimple, that answers my question :up:

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2013, 00:24 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
OK so I played against a few different opponents last night - one of whom is significantly more spinny than my coach, one of whom enjoys pushing and the other gets the occasional really heavy spin. Here are some more thoughts with regard to my thick-sponged Pimplemini.

• Spinny topspin serves are much harder to deal with when using the Pimplemini as opposed to my Curl P1-R LP. I had to take a step back and play a full-swing chop to return them with backspin.
  • One of the major problems I encountered, like with all SPs I've tried to chop with, if I get caught out of position I've got nothing. I can get the ball back on but it's such an easy kill for my opponent because I can't take the full chopping swing required to generate backspin against a loop. A little short flick of the wrist type stroke can generate some spin
  • If my opponent pushes into my backhand, I've got less control than some inverted rubbers and less spin. Because there's no reversal from this rubber, two of my opponents sharp realised that they could just push into my backhand all day. That's the main reason I moved away from SPs in the first place - I hate that vulnerability...
  • ... but on the other hand if I worked on it I'm quite confident that I could loop 90% of pushes with this rubber because its ability to topspin, even against fairly heavy backspin, is really impressive.

Although I really do think this rubber is great, my initial positivity has been somewhat dampened. For my game, it would be better against players that know how to play against pimples - much better. But it would be a huge drop in points against those that don't (directly and psychologically once they work out they can just push me into my backhand). As much as I like being able to hit occasionally, I don't want to hit regularly (I want to chop!) and my matchplay will suffer if I use this at the time being.

I'm gonna keep it as my number 2 setup though, and revisit it as regularly as I can. I've also ordered the 1.0mm version to see if it offers more control against the real heavy spinners.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2013, 08:51 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I actually tried playing a hitting game yesterday with inverted on the bh and hitting with the pimplemini on fh and it was deadly as, would have been !such better still with thick sponge.

I'm finding pushing with it much more effective than short pips because at any stage against any push you can rip a really heavy topspin with pimplemini using the backspin, you can't do that with a short pip. The one thing I'd like it to do better would be to hit flat, I'm going to try it in s thicker sponge. You see even though it chops well, I really don't ever need to chop when using pimplemini because I can control the game with spin variation and finish the point with a fh loop or three at anytime because the ball comes off the pimplemini so slow I don't have to hardly move at all during a rally, I like this because that's what I've been trying to find. Yesterday I was able to watch the ball like I never have before and it translated into me playing very well. I was able to beat my practice partner in between 11-1 and 11-3 all day. Previously he's been recently able to take the odd game off me. But yesterday,ive never been able to put all my mind into the ball before like that other than the Geelong tournament a couple years ago where I had a really good day, normally I'm 90% concerned about what stroke I'm going to play and chasing the ball around. When I don't have to use brain power on silly things like that, then I can play up a level or two than I normally would.

So this is why pimplemini works good for me, although I think I need to try playing with a pip on the fh instead of bh at some stage... Oddly.

Last edited by foam on 15 Dec 2013, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2013, 06:52 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate
FH: DrN Dominance Spin Hard
BH: DrN Troublemaker 0.5
foam wrote:
The one thing I'd like it to do better would be to hit flat, I'm going to try it in s thicker sponge.

A little thicker sponge might help you on your def blade but I personally found that offensive game (flat hitting, counter) work better on a little faster but especially harder blade. Initially I played the rubber on a Stiga All Classic and it was the most controlled pips ever but hitting was difficult, however on a hard, stiff YinHe All+ blade (Y-3) hitting was very nice.
A thicker sponge on a soft blade can become a little mushy for my taste.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2013, 12:40 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

The defplay is faster than a Stiga allround but not a lot faster.

Im going to have a think about this for a while. I don't feel like I want to make any major change to equipment now for next season but I'm investigating using inverted on bh and pips forehand. I have a lot of good timing and contact on the fh and it seems a dodgy rubber might work on my fh. I had a try with pimplemini on fh and practically every ball I hit was returned in the net or before the net, it was quite a weapon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next