OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 May 2019, 18:57 

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Wood
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-D
BH: S&T Hellfire X 0x
I have been looking into many players ..... but i can't find one that has a simulair style as me.

LP player that stays close to table (Like Manika Batra), but also does chop play to mix things up.
Prefered a twiddler as I play with LP on FH.

Setup: Stiga Cybershape Wood / FH:Tibhar Evolution FX-D / BH: S&T Hellfire X 0x

PostPosted: 27 May 2019, 20:23 
Super User

GarField000 wrote:
I have been looking into many players ..... but i can't find one that has a simulair style as me.

LP player that stays close to table (Like Manika Batra), but also does chop play to mix things up.
Prefered a twiddler as I play with LP on FH.

Hi,

I play a mix-style.... Close to the table, passive block (I'm learning to chop-block too) ... However, against certain players (mostly, power-looper types), I will step back from the table and chop too ...

I will twiddle, from time-to-time, every game ...

PostPosted: 27 May 2019, 22:50 

You have video online from a match?

I am looking on how to get on certain issue's.
What do you do if a player gives you second push .. you push or 'attack' the ball? Mine come way to high and during training I can hit the ball flat with slightly going up with the bat. But during matches it's harder to see how much spin is on the ball.

Still have problems with long dead serves on the LP. Quck hit the ball, or sideswipe it ... doen's seem to do any harm.

Do you think before you twiddle, or do you learn during the match?
Last match I played he served many times the same way so I could think ahead and twiddle ... i'm not good enough yet to react on the swing/ball and than twiddle.

I love using it on the FH if they start spining (as most spin on FH), but sometimes i'm out off position because i'm to slow and I need to chop (what I still think is hard with my current setup). It comes high or short.

Analysing video's I can see how people react to certain situations but i can't find any.
I have many video's from Manika Batra (I think about 40 full matches). But she only blocks with the LP.

PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 06:13 
Super User

Blade: BTY Viscaria
FH: Tibhar MX-P
BH: Tibhar D.TecS
I've just been playing LP for about 2-3 months but it's actually quite easy to drive backspin balls with sponged Dtecs (which is what I use). The drive can result in all sorts of spin depending on how hard you hit. Not a winning shot but it quite often confuses the opponent which allows me to step around and loop with my inverted FH.

I learnt how to execute this by asking one of the better players in my training group to send heavy inverted chops to me and after about 30 minutes I started to understand just how hard I can hit (which depends a lot on the incoming spin). It's still work in progress but it's a great shot to have in the arsenal.

(I'm a bit unsure if this is a drive or a loop but there's hardly any wrist involved so I prefer to call it a drive or counter)

PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 16:19 

I haven't played with the spounges dtecs yet.
Will do that this evening.
Then the weekend i'll have a LP training weekend (2 days LP training) so I hope to learn a lot then :)

PostPosted: 29 May 2019, 04:52 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Have also been trying out 1.2mm sponge dtecs. Yes if on a slowish blade it is quite easy to drive the ball hard against both backspin and topspin.

PostPosted: 29 May 2019, 17:19 

ChasFox wrote:
Have also been trying out 1.2mm sponge dtecs. Yes if on a slowish blade it is quite easy to drive the ball hard against both backspin and topspin.

I played a few games with the 0.6 sponge. Drive against backspin went fine, against topspiin not so much but I have never done that so I should change bladeangle and such ... but against topspin I don't need to ... just when they push/backspin the ball twice I want to hit it, or after I did a chop and it comes back with backspin because they can't or don't dare to spin again.

PostPosted: 29 May 2019, 17:45 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
The tricky bit about counter hitting topspin with Dtecs sponge using a slight upward motion is that low grip and reversal effect can create a no spin or even slight spin backspin ball. The problem for the Dtecs user is that the ball lacks topspin so it can float long easily if hit too high/hard, but the benefits are that the opponent may the dump their return in the net expecting topspin.

PostPosted: 30 May 2019, 10:37 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Perhaps the trick, then, is not to counter-hit too hard. If you use a loose enough wrist and absorb the energy, and can slow down the return, then even something with a little backspin will have time to drop and hit the table. I suppose when it comes down to it, using chop-blocks might be the thing to do.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 30 May 2019, 15:43 
Super User

Hi GarField000, sorry for taking so much time to respond ...

GarField000 wrote:
You have video online from a match?

I don't have any videos...

GarField000 wrote:
What do you do if a player gives you second push .. you push or 'attack' the ball? Mine come way to high and during training I can hit the ball flat with slightly going up with the bat. But during matches it's harder to see how much spin is on the ball.

I almost never attack, from the LP side, unless it's high, and near the net... My choice of stroke against pushes (first, second, third.. whatever)varies, depending on factors like, amount of backspin, I think there'll be, on the push, placement of the push, height,and even how I'm playing on that particular day... The stroke could be anything, from the mudflap (I find it extremely effective against backspin .... many thanks, yet again, to Nathanso, for suggesting it ... I've been playing/practicing this one, quite a bit... ), to pushing back with inverted, or even a FH loop (If, on given day, mind n body is functioning properly) ...

GarField000 wrote:
Still have problems with long dead serves on the LP. Quck hit the ball, or sideswipe it ... doen's seem to do any harm.

I'm facing the same issue.... I've watched some videos on side-swiping (including CWXs's), and they're all, against short-mid length serves... I've tried to practice this stroke, but just can't get the hang of it; and against long/fast/dead serves, I can't even fathom the mechanics of it... Nowadays, what I'm trying to do (I'm still a bit inconsistent) , is return with the inverted side.... I can play a BH to BH counter-style stroke, or BH to FH, down-the-line (mostly a winner, if I get it right).... It takes the opponent by surprise... If the serve would seem to land deep, I will, step back, and try to chop it, hard, and with a full-stroke ... I don't over-use any particular return method, just to keep the opponent guessing...

GarField000 wrote:
Do you think before you twiddle, or do you learn during the match?

A bit of both ... Some of it (like most strokes) comes sub-consciously ..ummm.... you know, muscle-memory sort of thing ... at times, I put thought into it..

I do twiddle, and, at times, quite a bit... Infact, my BH inverted attack, is stronger than my FH one... Most players, I play, for the first-time, auto-assume that since I play with LP, I must have a weaker BH ...That assumption, proves, rather unfortunate for them (A caveat - This is on days, when I'll have little or no aches n pains) :lol: ... I will twiddle, and attack with BH .... Nowadays, I will also twiddle, to play with the LP side on the FH ...

GarField000 wrote:
I love using it on the FH if they start spining (as most spin on FH), but sometimes i'm out off position because i'm to slow and I need to chop (what I still think is hard with my current setup). It comes high or short.

Pretty much the same here...

GarField000 wrote:
Analysing video's I can see how people react to certain situations but i can't find any.
I have many video's from Manika Batra (I think about 40 full matches). But she only blocks with the LP.
I've almost stopped watching match videos of pro players, with the intention of learning something ... There was a time I used to, and then try to replicate what I had learned, and fail spectacularly ...

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 05:09 

Blade: Galaxy Children's Carbon
FH: Nittaku Moristo DF 1.3mm
BH: Yinhe Neptune .7mm
I have a tournament video match on youtube but I am a close to the table long pip blocker and attacker, will post if interested.

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 06:06 

flipper4pipper wrote:
I have a tournament video match on youtube but I am a close to the table long pip blocker and attacker, will post if interested.

Yes please. I am to and only chop when to slow and out of position ......
Thx in avance.

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 13:51 

Blade: Galaxy Children's Carbon
FH: Nittaku Moristo DF 1.3mm
BH: Yinhe Neptune .7mm
This video is elsewhere on the site so I didn't want to post it too many times, my equipment in this video is Friendship's Faster 2.0mm black and KTL's Stranger 1.2mm red on the Stiga Optimum Sync. It was my first tournament in California, I was a bit underrated at 1581 but not after the tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqc2roIY3y4&t=254s

Had get away from the KTL long pips because of poor quality control.

PS I'm the tall bald one!

PostPosted: 26 May 2020, 18:40 

Check out Kento Nomura on YouTube...LP OX penhold twiddler in the Netherlands, my favorite player: https://youtu.be/Oy_01B1EUtU
Super creative, does a little of everything 8)

Tibhar Genshu L Xiom Vega Pro 1.8 Tibhar Grass D.TecS 0.5
Stiga Clipper Cybershape 729 Bluesponge 1.8 Spinlord Blitzschlag OX

PostPosted: 26 May 2020, 19:57 
Super User

Amazing player :clap: