OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 13:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2021, 17:50 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Def-attack wrote:
https://youtu.be/Yg2P3ZuJd7w
But that is probably with like 1.8 mm sponge.

Christ that looks hard to play against :sweat:

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2021, 18:03 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
dunc wrote:
Def-attack wrote:
https://youtu.be/Yg2P3ZuJd7w
But that is probably with like 1.8 mm sponge.

Christ that looks hard to play against :sweat:
She is sooo good!

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2021, 22:13 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
When I say "funk" there are a couple of aspects to that. One, the amount of spin reversal that you are able to get out of the rubber. With the new ball, that amount is unquestionably lower. Second, the ability for a skilled player to manipulate spin to confuse opponents, which is even more important today. Because long pips are, well, long, if they are grippy a skilled player will know how to sometimes add their own spin or create a dead knuckle ball. Since medium pips are shorter and, in general, not nearly as grippy, it's relatively straightforward to play.
What I've found testing them is that if you want to defend, they're not tricky enough to provide a decent opponent any trouble, and if you want to attack, they're not fast or dangerous enough to give problems to a decent opponent. In my opinion, most players are better off just going to short pips or long pips and learning the proper technique to master each type of rubber, rather than going with the more "safe" option that in the long run doesn't offer the most potential as your level increases.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2021, 04:34 

Blade: Andro Ligna OFF
FH: Spinfire 1.8
BH: Tactics Ox
I agree....never seen a high ranked player with MP....better choose one side : either Lp or Sp.....the Dr Neubauer KO series are ok for lower leagues,once things start to get serious,MPs are not effective.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2021, 14:15 
Super User

Sami wrote:
I agree....never seen a high ranked player with MP....better choose one side : either Lp or Sp.....the Dr Neubauer KO series are ok for lower leagues,once things start to get serious,MPs are not effective.

The thing is - I'm not a high-ranked player, nor do I play against high-ranked players .. I'm a club-level player, at best ..

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2021, 19:58 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Sami wrote:
Ai Fukuhara peaked at #4 in the world...

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2021, 21:45 

Def-attack wrote:
Sami wrote:
Ai Fukuhara peaked at #4 in the world...

Not enough arguments in favour of MPS tbh .Blade of pros ,never the same blade sold for amateurs,Mps of pros ,never the same as the amateurs' .....The same goes for any kind of rubber: be it,LP,SP,Anti,inverted.......

MPS for lower leagues,yes.Ask the manufacturers the percentage of mps sold compared to LPs,Sps for example.You would be amazed.Were they to be so effective,sales would have rocketed a long time ago .

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2021, 22:11 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
To be fair though, look at the quality of the player in the video DA posted. I don't know if she's professional or not, but she's incredible. If you can play like that with MPs, there's clearly the potential for them to be used at a high level.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2021, 23:52 

Sorry, not trying to put mps down, just say mps have no place at high levels,... there are a few exceptions like in everything else.... yes ,the woman is skilled...just would like to know how she performs in a serious league match .....

With mps you are in the middle of nowhere,.... no in the lp range, no in the short pip range,....unless you have an excellent fh and you just use the mp to set up your fh attack, mps might be an alternative.... but mps by themselves are not a great weapon ,.... this is the point tbh

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2021, 00:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
Mark simon who plays for stockton is high level league and county vets.He uses m/p on b/h to control the game.he has a hell of a f/h and serve so gets them in.Dunc may know him ?I spoke to him about his pip and it was np winning-not sure of the exact spec.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXj4LJSy52E
found a vid but yrs old so no idea what hes using
also found the below thread on hall who plays with pips
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=11813

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2021, 15:01 
Super User

dwruck wrote:
When I say "funk" there are a couple of aspects to that. One, the amount of spin reversal that you are able to get out of the rubber. With the new ball, that amount is unquestionably lower. Second, the ability for a skilled player to manipulate spin to confuse opponents, which is even more important today. Because long pips are, well, long, if they are grippy a skilled player will know how to sometimes add their own spin or create a dead knuckle ball. Since medium pips are shorter and, in general, not nearly as grippy, it's relatively straightforward to play.
What I've found testing them is that if you want to defend, they're not tricky enough to provide a decent opponent any trouble, and if you want to attack, they're not fast or dangerous enough to give problems to a decent opponent. In my opinion, most players are better off just going to short pips or long pips and learning the proper technique to master each type of rubber, rather than going with the more "safe" option that in the long run doesn't offer the most potential as your level increases.

I've been playing with LP for 2.5 years now.. I'm self-taught.. whatever I've learnt is by way of observing other LP players, reading and watching on the net.. The issue I'm facing now is against players, I play with on a regular basis.. The reversal part of LP, is something they're aware of now.. Infact a lot of them now, push the ball deep, into my LP side.. the ball that typically goes back to them has little or no top-spin.. What follows is a hard attack - Either a flat or top-spin .. I dunno how to attack with LP.. I've tried a lot (with various LPs), but just cannot get the hang of it ..

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2021, 21:51 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Don't be afraid to try hitting the ball hard against those deep pushes. If they are giving you a lot of under spin, it will reverse to top spin and help bring the ball down for you. If they are getting no spin or very light spin back, it could be because they are giving you dead balls. You can still attack those, or another way to handle those type of balls would be through placement, learning to drop those balls short so that they cannot get a full attack on your return.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2021, 21:57 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I have to admit, I played a tournament this weekend and ran up against a player using medium pips who was VERY good with them. His US rating right now is just under 2100 but he said he used to be close to 2300 and I believe it. He used an Armstrong medium pip, I think 8M but I could be wrong. The way he could defend and give short floating balls, combined with being able to attack literally anything was really impressive combined with his strong forehand.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2021, 11:24 

Here are a few more good examples of MP play:

Male attacker (Yassun from WRM) using Dawei 388C-1, 1.5mm I think: https://youtu.be/DiEyShQppNE

And Pamela Song, using her MP/LP setup on a thick balsa blade, I believe this one is 563 Max sponge:
https://youtu.be/TcegxdZp3E4

Tibhar Genshu L Xiom Vega Pro 1.8 Tibhar Grass D.TecS 0.5
Stiga Clipper Cybershape Yasaka Rakza 7 1.8 Spinlord Blitzschlag OX

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2021, 13:36 
Super User

Pip slap wrote:
Here are a few more good examples of MP play:

Male attacker (Yassun from WRM) using Dawei 388C-1, 1.5mm I think: https://youtu.be/DiEyShQppNE

Yep .. I've watched his videos .. I think he's Korean, and has a Youtube channel, where he reviews several Pips, and Anti rubbers .. His technique with MP is awesome to watch, and he's equally good with Antis