OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2022, 06:15 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei Fextra 7
FH: PALIO AK47 Red
BH: Dr. Neubauer K.O. Pro 1.5
Both rubbers tested in 1.5mm black on Stiga Nostalgic Allround. I played KO Pro several years and tried 388C-2 only several hours.

According to ITTF 388C-2 is not in long pips category, but plays very much like normal long pips rubber. 388C-2 is better at flat hitting and a bit faster then most LPs.
Brushing and using sponge in SP/MP manner does not work with 388C-2 -- small thin pips are bending too much and control is complex. i think this rubber will lose pips like many long pips rubbers.
Pips are more grippy and tolerate humidity and dust but dwell time is significantly lower despite of softer and slower sponge (comparing to KO Pro). So I do not think that 388C-2 is good for choppers.

In my opinion 388C-2 is interesting choice as pushblocking pip in ox or 1.0 mm sponge. Thicker sponge does not improve anything.

KO Pro has better control because it is simpler weapon. Margin of error in attacking strokes is wider.

But KO Pro is not an ideal rubber, some problems I discovered:
1) KO Pro is sensitive to humidity. It is already ungrippy and losing even more grip changes its behavior too much.
2) KO Pro had factory tuned sponge that seems to lose steam while the pips topsheet is very durable.
3) KO Pro has fragile sponge. Not a problem only if you never change used rubbers between rackets.

Speed:
KO Pro has predictable constant (fast comparing to LP, slow comparing to SP) speed.
388C-2 can be slower using soft palm. But it was tricky to control length of short balls with 388C-2.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!