OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 18:16

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2014, 06:50 
Super User

Kees wrote:
I googled luan wood and the upshot of it seems to be that it is not a tree-variety, but plywood or fiber-composite (chipboard or particle board). Looking at my blades pretty much convinced me that it is the latter. That would also explain the heaviness, which in that case results from the amount of glue used to make fibres into a more or less solid mass. Furthermore it concurs with the fact that these blades were cheap even according to Chinese Mao-time standards. Some years ago I bought mine, new, for about 8 dollars a piece. Practically speaking, the PF4-032 was/is a junk blade. So to clone it, 2 plies of particle board would do probably fine. It should be pretty "open" in structure, brittle, and not too fine particle-wise. Old-fashioned chipboard (commonly used before MDF came on the market) should do.
The most interesting thing is, for me, that junk can have superior qualities in play. There are other examples of this in table-tennis stuff; for instance Meteor is a firm making vast quantities of pre-made junk, but all of its "junk" rubbers have outstanding playing qualities.

one of the best blades i ve tried was a meteor blade with ruler cpen, better than many 60$ blades

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2014, 01:22 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Lauan (not "Luan") is another (Filipino, I think) name for Meranti. Which is wood from a variety of different species of Dipterocarps. It's endemic to South East Asia, and is the dominant type of tree found in the equatorial and tropical rain forests. It's usually found in the US in the form of inexpensive door skins. Here the lumber yards will sell you "red Meranti", "yellow Meranti", etc. I don't think the wood seen on the 032 samples is Meranti at all - it's usually quite dark, with tight, straight grain. The plywood used in door skins is rotary-cut, which might account for the not-so-straight grain you see on the blades, but the color and look are just plain wrong. Besides, the time period is wrong - the SEA lumber trade didn't really take off in a huge way until the mid-80s, and the Chinese didn't become powerhouse exporters until the 90s. These blades were probably made using Chinese materials rather than South East Asian - probably bass plywood (which is still being made and sold in huge quantities by the Chinese today).

And come to think of it.. this was mentioned in another thread recently if you want a real, authentic 1970s Chinese shakehands blade:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/METEOR-High-Spi ... 3f28379662

Not particularly expensive, either...

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2014, 08:43 

is this meant to be an attempt to recreate the 032 blade???

anyone tried one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DHS-Traditional-Legend-Table-Tennis-Blade-032-Allround-New-/310873412223?pt=UK_Sports_TableTennis_RL&hash=item48617fd27f

http://www.murrayfieldtt.com | http://www.youtube.com/user/MurrayfieldTTC

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 19:08 

Making DHS PF4 08 clone :-)
http://stumpof.blogspot.ru/2014/03/dhs-08-clone_22.html

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2020, 15:25 

Blade: xiom hinoki s7
FH: dms firestorm
Why this blade is not copied by other blade makers,,? Is it patented by dhs that it's not allowed to copy this blade? Played this blade yesterday and oh the best hitters blade for close to the table short pips I have played, I think it's better than clipper structure.

Sent from my vivo 1906 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2020, 00:10 
Super User

mokong wrote:
Why this blade is not copied by other blade makers,,? Is it patented by dhs that it's not allowed to copy this blade? Played this blade yesterday and oh the best hitters blade for close to the table short pips I have played, I think it's better than clipper structure.

I think nobody makes that blade because they re heavy. Most buyers dont play with short pips.
How heavy was yours?

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2020, 02:15 

bbkon wrote:
mokong wrote:

I think nobody makes that blade because they re heavy. Most buyers dont play with short pips.
How heavy was yours?
Mine is only 88g 5.8mm thick, maybe the thicker version are top heavy, it's not as fast and solid feel like clipper but easier to topspin hit smash close to table on sp

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2020, 10:05 
Super User

mokong wrote:
bbkon wrote:
mokong wrote:

How heavy was yours?
Mine is only 88g 5.8mm thick, maybe the thicker version are top heavy, it's not as fast and solid feel like clipper but easier to topspin hit smash close to table on sp

Maybe some old chinese premades are on ebay. I had an old meteror blade that was very good.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2020, 17:03 

bbkon wrote:
mokong wrote:
bbkon wrote:
[quote="mokong"]Why this blade is not copied by other blade makers,,? Is it patented by dhs that it's not allowed to copy this blade? Played this blade yesterday and oh the best hitters blade for close to the table short pips I have played, I think it's better than clipper structure.

How heavy was yours?

Is your meteor same as 032 that has thin basswood on the middle core?, The meteor at aliexpress has thick basswood on the middle

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2021, 12:43 
Super User

kuk wrote:
Ross Leidy wrote:
Kees wrote:
You could PM Ross Leidy; he's on the forum here and knows an awful lot...

?? "The more I learn, the more I learn how little I know."

I can't say I'm familiar with timbers that may be local to where the blade was built (I'm assuming that's China). But, if I was looking for a strongly scented wood that would be suitable for a blade ply (the two thick medials, right?), I'd pick a cedar. Western Red, Alaskan, Atlantic White.

Thanks for your concern, Ross!
I've just read some info about WRC and found it to be rather light. I'm afraid it won't provide desired massiveness of the blade for Short Pips compared to woods of higher specific gravity. What do you think?

There was a chinese cpen girl playing short pips in the main chinese team called yang ying, she started playing with clipper and then played with dhs old style blade. I wonder if it would work now.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2021, 16:52 

Blade: stiga carbon dynasty
FH: battle II
BH: tibhar aurus
The wood is from Tilia tuan Szyszyl, I don't know how to call it in english. The glue is blood glue(or hide glue). He zhiwen has switched to clipper now.