OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:24

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Curl p1r 1.5mm
PostPosted: 05 May 2021, 22:25 

We know what Joo could do with it but we also heard that Joo makes it seem too easy..
And in fact, the 1.5mm thickness here must be very hard to chop at.

So what do we do? Forget about it? Before I do so, I'd like to give it a shot but need your assistance choosing a proper blade for it.

To make controling of this awesome LP easier, what blades would you recommend?

Would a very slow blade-like, Dr. N's Barricade DEF help in this regard?
For some reason, I think fast carbon blades here would make it even more difficult.
Is this thinking allright?

If there is anyone out there who plays with 1.5mm p1r and yet managed to tame it thanks to the underlying blade, please share a few words about your journey. Would you?

This may help me make better judgements before spending a lot of money to tame this beast.

Post subject: Re: Curl p1r 1.5mm
PostPosted: 06 May 2021, 04:23 

Blade: Defplay Senso
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Stiga Vertical 20 0.5mm
I've heard that the faster your blade is, the thicker sponge under the long pips you need. Fast blades have a very inelastic collision with the ball (essentially, low control), so a thicker sponge is needed to increase the time the ball dwells on the racket. Conversely, slow blades already have elastic collisions (that's what makes them slow), so a thick sponge isn't necessary to have control over the ball. Since most pros use fast blades (Gionis, Joo Se Hyuk, Filus, Weixing, etc.), they in turn use thicker sponges. Professional choppers that used slower blades, like Matsushita and Shiono, in turn used thinner sponges. This isn't always the case (e.g. Sun Jian Fei used OX on a fast blade, or Chtchetinine using 1.0mm on a slow blade), but it seems like a decent rule of thumb.

That being said, I recently had the opportunity to test out another club member's setup, a Victas Koji Matsushita with TSP Curl P1R in 1.5mm. It was certainly faster than the Defplay Senso/Gambler GXL I'm using right now, but... it didn't feel that hard to use. When I was in the right position and chopped with force, I felt like I had a lot of control with it. When I did mess up a chop, the issue was usually about footwork or chopping technique (not being the right position, not accomodating for the opponent's power, etc.). I would've missed those chops regardless of the rubber or sponge thickness.

I'd recommend just using whatever blade you're most comfortable with & putting the 1.5mm P1R on it for starters. That way you're changing as few things as possible, which is probably best.

Just my $0.02!

PostPosted: 12 May 2021, 00:39 

Depends on what you mean by hard. IMO it will be easier to use an OX or thin sponge LP rubber with a weak chop because they are effected less by oncoming spin and they will pass more spin through coming from your opponent, but you will be able to achieve greater control with a strong chop using thicker sponge LP because the sponge will give you more grip and thus rotational and directional control of the spin and placement. It will also be more effective to use OX or thin sponge closer to the table as using a more active stroke with thicker rubber is only more beneficial once at mid to far distances due to the general higher energy of effective attacking shots and the energy it takes from chopping to benefit from thicker sponge LP rubber. If you are already used to chopping with a 1.0mm sponge then 1.5 should actually generally feel slower and softer to chop with, but the only real strength of having a thicker sponge LP rubber IMO is the spin you can create at the table to prevent opponents from first attacking as strongly because thin sponge cannot make as much spin as easily at the table, and dealing with low/no spin serves is easier when you have more influence/grip on the ball to create your own trajectories and spin

PostPosted: 19 May 2021, 07:31 

KindButcher wrote:
We know what Joo could do with it but we also heard that Joo makes it seem too easy..
And in fact, the 1.5mm thickness here must be very hard to chop at.

So what do we do? Forget about it? Before I do so, I'd like to give it a shot but need your assistance choosing a proper blade for it.

To make controling of this awesome LP easier, what blades would you recommend?

Would a very slow blade-like, Dr. N's Barricade DEF help in this regard?
For some reason, I think fast carbon blades here would make it even more difficult.
Is this thinking allright?

If there is anyone out there who plays with 1.5mm p1r and yet managed to tame it thanks to the underlying blade, please share a few words about your journey. Would you?

This may help me make better judgements before spending a lot of money to tame this beast.
I have it on the Joo. Just takes practice to tune into it, just like anything else. It’s certainly not a combination to be feared or disregarded if you’re happy to stick with it and practice.

The harder/stiffer the blade surface generally the more effect you get. The Joo is hard and stiff.

I’ve tried it on various blades of all types and find it most effective on the Joo. It’s a great combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More Classic than Modern Defender