OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 22 Nov 2019, 13:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2010, 11:08 
Super User

Ok, I thought I would start off by posting some initial impressions about the blade.

Look and feel:
The blade looks to be well crafted. The wood is perfect. The grains look very vivid, and the plies are very distinct. I didn’t go so far as to smell it as Ranger-man did. I am stealing his review format though.

Weight:
The weight of the blade was 82 gm. It had a little more head heaviness than I am used to, but not bad. Even after putting the rubber on the blade it still felt pretty light
Blade thickness:
This was the thickest blade I have ever played. It was 8mm thick. The plys appeared to be of equal thickness. The really looked nice.

Handle:
This was where Charlie really performed above and beyond. If this blade didn’t play particularly well. It would still get some kind of positive feedback because the blades handle was the most comfortable handles I have ever felt. My biggest peeve with my Xiom Stradivarius is the thin rectangular shaped handle. I have adapted to it, but the second I felt Charlie’s blade it just felt simply perfect. I gave him a small bit of information and he nailed it.

Head size:

Head size was pretty compact as I asked for. The blade is a little longer from end to end than any blade I have tried. A little of that is attributed to the longer handle than most.

Blade bounce:

Naked blade bounce with this blade feels pretty slow. In fact I was thinking it was maybe ALL- to ALL just based off of ball bounce without rubbers.

Ok, I put Tenergy 05 on Forehand side, and Catapult on Backhand side. This is very similar to what I play on my Stradivarius, and the comparisons will be based off the Strad.

Blocking:
I started with this blade blocking just as that’s a good way to get a feel for the blade. Blocking was very easy, and it had some nice pace on the blocks. It was strange how similarly the 3-Ply Cypress blocked in comparison to the Stradivarius. I was really surprised. I would have thought that this blade was going to be a little slower. The ALL+ rating that Charlie gave the blade I would probably call accurate. It’s on the high end of ALL+, and perhaps moves into the realm of OFF-. Between the two blades I’ll call this one a push.

Counter Driving:
When I started to just hit away on the ball, this blade really grew on me quickly. The ball had a nice trajectory, and it was pretty quick (surprisingly quick). I don’t really per say flat hit the ball, but as flat as I can hit it performed very well. In fact this is where the 3 Ply Cypress outperformed the Stradivarius.

Serving:
I’m not going to overstate this. It’s serving. This blade did fine with this.

Loop Driving:
The 3 Ply Cypress had a little lower throw than I am used to which doesn’t really take a long time to adjust to when loop driving. The loops really had some juice on them, and spin was pretty good as well. The loops seemed to still have the same effect on my opponents as usual. However I will say that the blade produced a little faster loop drives. 3 Ply Cypress outperforms the Stradivarius in this stroke.

Slow Loops:
The point of the slow loop is really high percentages of success and yet still difficult to block because of the incoming topspin on opponent. In this stroke I would lift the ball a fair bit higher than with a loop drive just to make sure it clears the net. The lower throw I didn’t care for with this particular stroke. With the 3PC I would lift the ball and it wouldn’t come back down. I did hit a few pretty good spinny slow loops, but I couldn’t throw them nearly as high, so the margin for error is much less Stradivarius outperforms the 3PC on this stroke.

Pushing:
I have pretty poor technique for this stroke, so I don’t know if I’m a very good judge of this one, but I prefer to know where the ball is going, and with the 3PC I didn’t for the most part. The softer layers gave me trouble. I doubt it would for a lot of people as a lot of people play Hinoki blades which isn’t anything like what I’m used to playing.

Summary:
All in all I really enjoyed this blade. The quality of make was very nice. Charlie appears to have a pretty solid product, and I wouldn’t hesitate to mention his blades as a possibility for someone’s future blade. Very nice Charlie, keep up the good (wood) work.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2010, 22:38 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Blade: Darker Speed 90 Jpen
FH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro UL
Skippy, nice review there, it seems that while the three-ply is labeled all+ it is a fairly powerful weapon and could be a potent weapon if paired with some of the monster rubbers in vogue these days. Like the Tenergy that you used.

I would not assume that an 8mm thick blade would have a lot of flex, if any. Yet you managed to get good spin on your serves. That could have been the rubber then?

And is the hardness the reason you think that it was not that effective on slow loops? or would you attribute that to something else?

Local Press Club (Journalists) Champion

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!!!!
http://xtrariter.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2010, 06:33 
Super User

Well, here's my theory, and I'm just throwing it out there as theory based on my own expiriences. It seems to be possible, to apply good spin on slower strokes (i.e. Serve) with either A: Flexible Blade with possibly hard outter plies, or B: A fairly inflexible blade with Soft Plies. For blocking and serves the Stradivarius, and the Three-Ply Cypress were strangely similar, Strad being hard/flex, and 3PC being Soft/Stiff. However slow loops are all about the Flexibility of the blade. There has to be some flexibility in the blade. The plies have soft wood giving the ability to apply spin in the short game, but the 8mm of thickness really allowed for very little flexibility in the looping game. This would be wicked for someone who uses alot of spin variation, and could also flat hit for winners. It's really a unique blade.

By all means someone let me know if this theory is complete ca-ca. Silver it's a good time to chime in and say I'm full of crap.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2010, 16:10 

hi Skippy, i just reread your last and want to agree with you. i like your observations and the way you worded them.
it's almost a one-ply and definitely won't split. the handle and shape are what i use, but it plays slightly different in the larger shapes.
thanks again for your views, charlie