OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:56

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 615 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: Make your own blade
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 18:44 

Blade: custom all wood
FH: Tibhar Genius
BH: Yasaka Rakza 7
Sticks wrote:
MDP wrote:
Sticks wrote:
Hi MDP,
nice blades.
can I ask how you achieve the stripes on the handle. ? Also to Ross, What wood do you use to veneer when making the handle.?

The stripes on the handle are actually leftover pieces of the glued veneer plate from which the frame is cut.

Thanks for the compliments

Thanx for your reply. Can you pls be more specific.?

Hmmm, I don't think I can be any more specific. But I added a picture of the bottom of the handle, here you can see what I mean (I hope)

The straight vertical lines is the blade surface. The horizontal lines are the lines in the handle.

Note to self: next time fix the crookedness and make everything nice and perpendicular

Attachments:
Naamloos.jpg
Naamloos.jpg [ 62.28 KiB | Viewed 3174 times ]

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2014, 03:12 

The stripes on the handle are actually leftover pieces of the glued veneer plate from which the frame is cut.

Thanks for the compliments[/quote]

Thanx for your reply. Can you pls be more specific.?[/quote]

Hmmm, I don't think I can be any more specific. But I added a picture of the bottom of the handle, here you can see what I mean (I hope)

The straight vertical lines is the blade surface. The horizontal lines are the lines in the handle.

Note to self: next time fix the crookedness and make everything nice and perpendicular[/quote/]

Ah, makes sense now.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2014, 21:04 

Hi Ross,
do you think its best to glue both layers of veneer at the same time.? I have done layer then cure then the other layer.
Which method would you think will give the blade better performance.?

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2014, 23:30 
The Wood Magician

Sticks wrote:
Hi Ross,
do you think its best to glue both layers of veneer at the same time.? I have done layer then cure then the other layer.

If your glue has a short open time, that's probably a good way to do it and still be able to clamp the glue-up flat. I use a long open time glue so I can glue all plies at the same time and get the whole thing into the press.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2014, 00:55 

Ross Leidy wrote:
Sticks wrote:
Hi Ross,

If your glue has a short open time, that's probably a good way to do it and still be able to clamp the glue-up flat. I use a long open time glue so I can glue all plies at the same time and get the whole thing into the press.

The open time wasnt a concern as is quite long, i was wondering if the reclamping at those high pressures will affect the first layer of Urea as it dries crystalline .

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2014, 03:21 
The Wood Magician

Sticks wrote:
Ross Leidy wrote:
Sticks wrote:
Hi Ross,

The open time wasnt a concern as is quite long, i was wondering if the reclamping at those high pressures will affect the first layer of Urea as it dries crystalline .

I wouldn't think it would be an issue as long as the clamping is uniform across the face of the blank.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2015, 22:43 

Hi to all.
This is really interesting thread.
In fact i like the idea to create blade acoording this here.. So i started.
One think i have isues... To glue and place the ply one each another...this is the hardest part for me...
Here are some photos of mine progress.... Im creating 7 ply blade..
0.6mm Mahogany , 0.6mm oak ,2mm balsa ,0.6mm oak, 2mm balsa, 0.6mm oak, 0.6mm Mahogany.

Last edited by bobpuls on 09 Mar 2015, 17:39, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 00:40 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Very nice! What glue do you use, and what do you use to cut the outline? That's the exact same method I use for clamping the plies together.

Sounds like a fairly thick blade - 7mm. Why the thin ply between the balsa layers?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 22:55 

Thanks
I`m using PVAc adhesive "Rakoll ® Express 25Plus " it has 10 min off time then 30 min under pressure time . but i`m letting it dry for one week . to avoid bending.
The thin ply between balsa ... it has two reasons ...
1. - i do not get mine hands on 4mm balsa in this dimensions ;-)
2. - I`m using DHS Rubbers which are a little bit heavier .so i decided to have 7 ply Wood
But 7 mm is not so much in the hand .... it looks thin for me ;-) i`m thinking to make a one with 1mm outside ply.

And here i just finish basic shaping of the handle. i has to be glued with the blade and then final sanding and finish .
I will use only water based glaze for the finish .

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 23:13 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
It looks nice!

It also looks oversize, and the shape also makes it's look like a defender's blade, is that intentional?

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 23:30 

haggisv wrote:
It looks nice!

It also looks oversize, and the shape also makes it's look like a defender's blade, is that intentional?

It only looks so ... because of perspective of the camera...
but it is Standard-1 shape from Ross Leidy web with a little bit tweaks .... but the size is the standard.
Mine Dhs blade i have for compare is really oversized ..
And i forgot to mention about the cutting of the blade is the same way as Ross. But only i have the original shape burned with Laser to 3mm metal.
Thanks.
Robert

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2015, 05:29 

And here is the final blade....
Weight is now 90 grams.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2015, 08:28 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Not surprisingly, model airplane shops are the best place to get balsawood. A good one should have a large range of thicknesses. 4mm is fairly common. Balsa also varies a lot in density. Some fanatics will bring a balance to the shop and weigh all the pieces! You should also be able to glue balsa to balsa with no problems. By the way, check out the very thin birch plywood at the model airplane shop - it comes as thin as 0.4mm - and that is 3 plies!

Iskandar

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2015, 18:50 

I would like to say great read and A1 blades
I was looking for some help...Iam in Australia and interested in a build
I currently play with a Butterfly Carbo 5x with Tenergy 80FX and find it a good match for me, so iam looking to build something to this blade.....
My first question the type of Balsa can I just go to my local hobby store and buy it??????or do I need the right type????
and do you go on the Janka rating for the type of blade response...we have some great timbers in Australia....I have a few non believers at our club........I do have access to all the tools and look at making a cracker of a bat.......I understand it takes time to get the perfect combination.....

BALSA ????
JANKA ????
GLUE ?????
CARBON ?????

I hope you can help cheers

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2015, 20:58 

Here is one link which help me the best by selecting material in begining ... hope you find it usefull
http://www.tabletennis.gr/forum/guides/137120-how-to-make-a-blade-by-blade

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 615 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 41  Next