OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Jan 2021, 15:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Toccata Carbon Def
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2010, 22:58 
The French ConnecTTion

I had my first session last evening with the TSP Carbon Toccata Def
Here's the blade :

I used to play with Neubauer's Kung-Fu and really liked it : great control, the ability to chop with good backspin and nice attacking possibilities. On top of that, the blade is also really really good at blocking.

The Toccata is bigger than the Kung-Fu, it's an oversized blade : 163*157mm; weigh 88grs. Kung-Fu weighs 85grs, dimensions are : 155*152mm (approximately for both).

Since I did not receive my L1 in 0.6 - Donic having problems supplying enough quantities to sellers - I glued my L1 Ox on the blade even if the rubber was a bit too small. On the forehand, a Shark II in 34° that I tuned 2 days in a row just for fun.....

I mainly played with the backhand last evening, the aim of this session being to judge of the defensive potential of the blade. I have been more than pleased with the possibilities of the L1 to chop effectively on the Toccata. The spin imparted is much stronger than on any other blade I played with with one nice difference : I can keep the ball extremely low over the net whereas with the KF, the ball had a higher trajectory. But for my type of play, the main asset of the blade is the possibility to impart strong backspin and my opponents had huge problems top-spinning the chops.
The blade is quite consistent and it really easy to chop many times in a row.

At the table, the Toccata behaves quite differently from the Kung-Fu and I had difficulties playing the punch-block I played so easily with the Neubauer's blade. I have to find the right bat angle in order to attack effectively and that should not be too much hassle. Even if the game at the table was not so satisfying, the few attacks I did that were on the table always scored.
Blocking is not where this bat shines but I found chop-blocking more effective than on the Kung-Fu. The Toccata allows to chop-block real short with strong backspin. Very effective when your opponent is away from the table as the ball doesn't bounce at all.

I am pleased with the Toccata which should allow me to defend quite efficently. I can impart more backspin than with the Kung-Fu; on the other hand it seems that the TSP has a bit less control but I will have to try it more to be sure. In any case, I switch for this TSP blade.

I didn't really use the FH but there's one thing I already know for sure : the Toccata has a low-throw angle and I will have to put a rubber that has a medium-high angle if I want to avoid hitting the net too often. If you guys have ideas about rubbers (except the BTY) please let me know.

I will post more next week as I am supposed to received my rubbers : Grip-S and L1 in 0.6mm.

Cheers,
Ma'man

Blade : TSP Toccata Carbon Def
FH : Shark II 33° 2mm Black
BH : Octopus Ox red

Post subject: Re: Toccata Carbon Def
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2010, 23:33 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Nice review, thanks !

So the shark II or III was too low throw on this blade?

Post subject: Toccata Carbon Def
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2010, 17:38 
The French ConnecTTion

I don't think that Shark II was too low throw. In fact, I tuned it 2 days in a row with the DHS Intensifier and it was so fast that I couldn't touch the ball with the FH.

I ordered a Shark II in 36° from ttnpp.com; will see how it behaves on my second blade.

By the way, I have an off topic question : Japsko told me they would receive Whale II National FT in 35° with Green Label. Has anyone of you heard about this green label thing?

Cheers,
Ma'man

Blade : TSP Toccata Carbon Def
FH : Shark II 33° 2mm Black
BH : Octopus Ox red

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 21:56 

Hello,
i just started testing TSP Toccata with Curl p-1 0.5 and TSP Triple Spin 1.0, so an all TSP combo :) .
I will report later when i test it some more but for now i can tell you its a dream to chop with and the control is great!.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2010, 21:58 

So, after a few hits with it i decided to stay with the Cayman, but not because i thought the blade was bad but because i just dont have enough time to get use to it. The main thing was that i couldnt get use to low speed. I quite liked the Tsp Triple Spin on the FH as it had nice spin and was so very controllable, but low throw, which i got use to very quickly. Every thing was landing where i wanted without any problem. The Curl on the blade is just what you expect, a great chopping rubber that my friend had a real problem countering after his first top spin. As i said the speed is quite slower than Cayman so i felt i would lose that fh kill i use so much after lp block.

Other than that its a really nice blade that needs a high throw rubber to make it a perfect combination. I havent tried it with OX LP so cant tell about spin reversal and speed.
Will probably try it in a few months...

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 08:27 
Super User

what do you say for the top ply of Toccata Carbon, soft-medium-hard?

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 10:02 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I'd say they're around medium, but the blade is quite thin and the carbon gives it a harder feel.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 21:19 
Super User

thank you

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2010, 03:52 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
koji matsushita is now the president of TSP, and im wondering if he had any imput in the making of this blade, as his blade made by butterfly (the pro and the pro special) are now discontinued...

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2010, 03:22 
Super User

Ma'man,

It has been some time now since you have switched to Toccata, any regrets? Sounds like this is your weapon now?

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2011, 20:24 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I just checked out this blade...it really is very slow... by far the slowest carbon blade I've come across.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2011, 22:27 

Crisp, Sharp, slow, & controlled, very nice.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!