OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Donic alligator combi
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2010, 23:05 
Super User

Blade: Donic alligator combi
FH: FS Bloom Power max.
BH: TSP curl P4 1,0mm
Yep, couldn't resist. Just bought one. No reviews available. BH side should be as fast as the defplay senso.

I'll review it as soon as i get it.

Happy new year everybody :party:

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2011, 01:48 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

I was interested in this at one time. But I plugged for the Tachi instead at much greater cost to myself, in true EJ fashion! Will watch for your review with interest.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2011, 02:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
donic alligator combi:limba-acajou-balsa-abachi-ash,approx 6mm thickness with some flex.should be faster on f/h than defplay and should block better,suspect the defplay might be better for chopping,would be interesting to compare the b/h speed
jarvis sports recommended akkadi taichi (black rubber),acuda barracuda `type ` rubbers,i like more flex/thinner so i didn`t follow it up.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2011, 09:01 
Super User

yesterday i received the new donic frame. Like my old defplay the handle of the frame is massive. I mean not hollow like the new donic frames. It's a 5 ply frame and you can see very well the difference in plies between the FH and BH side. The BH side has a very thick outer layer. Looking at the frame it reminds me off the Hallmark Aurora frame i also have.

I sealed the frame first because it looked very fragile and i was afraid to tear away some wood taking off the rubber.

Tonight before training I glued on the same rubbers i have on the defplay to compare them.

Some BH side charatheristics:
- Speedwise the BH side is a bit faster than the defplay. According to donic speed: 5+
- BH side has a lower throw. At first i netted a lot of balls.
- blocking was very good. Because of the higher speed compared to the defplay it was harder to keep the balls short.
- defense was very good although i was under the impression i could give more backspin with the defplay. Balls land closer to the endline of the table. For a lot of players it's easier to attack those balls.

Some FH side charatheristics:
- speedwise faster than the defplay as i expected. But not as fast as i thought before. According to donic speed: 7. I also have a donic appelgren allround which i think is faster on FH side.
- Low throw. I had a lot of problems on the forehand side. Especialy FH topspin. I found i difficult to get some speed out of it. I think it has to do with the fact that i'm more of a brushlooper (closed bat).
- Hitting with an open bat was no problem. Speed is ok and faster than the defplay
- Defense was very difficult because of the speed of the frame.

So for now. I don't know. BH side is ok. FH side i have mixed feelings. I experienced the same problem with this frame as with the hallmark aurora.

Maybe balsa is not good for brushloopers????

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2011, 09:04 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Good review, thanks brokkie!

For brush loopers I don't think the blade is as important, as the throw is mostly determined bu the rubber.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2011, 04:16 
Super User

Hi Haggisv

With balsa it not the throw i'm worried about. With balsa blades it seems like i have to topspin more with an open bat because otherwise i'm not able to generate any speed even at full armspeed.

Smashing with an open bat generates lots of speed.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2011, 04:18 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

brokkie wrote:
Hi Haggisv

With balsa it not the throw i'm worried about. With balsa blades it seems like i have to topspin more with an open bat because otherwise i'm not able to generate any speed even at full armspeed.

Ahh yes I see what you're getting at now!

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 02:31 
Super User

Hi Haggisv

Do you recognise this behavour of balsa. It's like you can not speed the ball up until you hit the ball frontal.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2013, 19:34 

I have tried this blade for a short period. On the site they say it is around 80 grams, but I received a version that was only 70 grams.
So my setup with Dawei 388D 1.0mm and Nimbus Sound 1.8mm was really light.
I really liked chopping with it and it gave loads of backspin. But if someone pushed back my chop, my own push with pips was uncontrollable and always needed to play with my inverted rubber.
For me the forehand didnt have a feeling to it that I like. But Im really fussy about blades when it comes to forehand feel. Specially because it has to match with really soft forehand rubbers.

But I gave the blade to a clubmate who will play the highest Dutch league next season. He often defends for fun at the club and his level is really high. With this setup his backspin was tremendous. Several players couldnt make fast loop against him when he was chopping with this blade. They would end up in the bottom of the net. Even on the first chop.
He only disliked the fact that the blade was really light and that the size was the same as a normal allround blade.

For chopping it is a really good blade, but the one I received was way too light with 70 gram. And because it was not an oversized blade, the total setup was in only 140 grams. Even a thicker and more heavier forehand rubber would make it max 150 grams. This just feels a bit weird to me when playing forehand loops. And it is supposed to be for modern defence with the faster forehand.
Chopping on the forehand was decent.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2013, 22:05 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I'd probably like that combination.. my setup is usually around that weight...

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2022, 16:07 

Blade: Nittaku Acoustic
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G1
BH: Nittaku Best Anti
Hi,

I just bought Donic Alligator Combi. How will i know which is which. Is the fh side of the blade is always where the logo is written? Is this where should i glue my normal rubber?

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2022, 18:31 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes, the forehand is the side with the logo, and that's where you'd normally glue your inverted rubber.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2022, 17:02 

Blade: Nittaku Acoustic
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G1
BH: Nittaku Best Anti
Just find the sweet spot of this blade is small and requires accuracy to hit the same spot of the blade or maybe it's just me. Other than that this is the longest defensive setup I have used so far.