OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:36

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2012, 18:53 

Interesting, Kees!
But here is what i've found about lauan and pf4 032:
old 032: 1 and 2(search by 032 on the page)
new cheap 032 (with a lot of negative feedbacks): Image
new reincarnated 032 priced 100$

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2012, 23:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

You are on the wrong track, I am afraid. I have seen He Zhiwens blade and it is the old working horse, nothing in the least like the stuff in the pictures above. His has the old varnished short&thick grip with the painted DHS logo, and the too large varnished strip on the blade's face (both sides) which isn't supposed to be covered by the rubber - most of the varnish is gone off the face, though, and even the wood itself is worn where he has his thumb and index-finger.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2012, 01:04 

Kees wrote:
You are on the wrong track, I am afraid. I have seen He Zhiwens blade and it is the old working horse, nothing in the least like the stuff in the pictures above. His has the old varnished short&thick grip with the painted DHS logo, and the too large varnished strip on the blade's face (both sides) which isn't supposed to be covered by the rubber - most of the varnish is gone off the face, though, and even the wood itself is worn where he has his thumb and index-finger.

Yep, i know his blade is old and worn. Last attached photos are related to cheap new 032 version that caught many uncomplimentary feedbacks. Two photos of the blade plies in my first post in this thread are supposed to be "that" 032 from 1970-80.
Anyway i revised hardness of the medium plies. I don't think it should be medium-soft but medium-hard, however it shouldn't be light as cedar. I liked suggested sorbus much, now i'm guessing if this 2 mm plies of sorbus are enough to provide heaviness and hardness.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2012, 04:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Quote:
Two photos of the blade plies in my first post in this thread are supposed to be "that" 032 from 1970-80.
That would be the other thread, about parallel pengrip, viewtopic.php?f=43&t=19318&p=213276#p213276? Those pictures definitely are of the right blade.
As for the wood: it has to be the cheapest possible kind, since the other elements of the blade (basswood, hardwood grip, varnish finishing) would on their own constitute the total cost of the blade. As harder woods are generally more expensive and less available, I can't see what kind of wood would be a likely candidate except chipboard, which is cheap, medium hard, and rather heavy. Have you read this about luan-wood: http://www.insidewoodworking.com/luanplywood.html? It states luan is a plywood made of the "Shorea" family of trees (which has 196 species and is common in S-E Asia, and is often compared to teak in terms of durability, see: http://www.shorea.org/shorea-versus-teak.html) and is still used to make toys. It seems to me the typical kind of stuff to be used in cheap chinese blades. It is also known sometimes as Philipine Mahogany - that would bring it even closer to the requirements you stated before.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2012, 08:00 

This seems reasonable to me. But the strange thing is that new cheap 032 on the photos above failed to repeat old one's success. Maybe because luan plywood can be of vast quality range or maybe old one featured luan solid wood? Can plywood be distinguished from solid wood by photo?

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2012, 16:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Quote:
Can plywood be distinguished from solid wood by photo?
I can't on these.
Solid luan is sort of a contradiction in terms, like "solid plywood".
As for the difference in quality between old and new 032s, what I think happened is this. The old version was made in a period when in China products for the internal market had to be both cheap and fit for use; there were no big factories yet, no serial production facilities like modern day, and a lot was done by hand by vast groups of skilled workers. Besides, pingpong was taken very seriously, a national sport of the highest standing, so equipment for it had to meet certain basic standards. The new version is likely a machine-made mass-production item which is not necessarily meeting high standards but should be cheap first and foremost, hence it is junk.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2013, 22:35 

Now it's time to refresh the post.
I finally ordered 032 clone from Ross, joined the queue and now it is almost crafted!
The blade's composition is: 1mm basswood 2mm mahogany 1mm basswood 2mm mahogany 1mm basswood
So lauan here was replaced with mahogany as the nearest equivalent that was in stock. I've chosen Compact-2 shape with extra thick and squarish handle made of wallnut and yellowheart. The blade is 7.1mm thick and weighs 101g.
Here are some preliminary photos of The Puncher:

Attachments:
3.jpeg
3.jpeg [ 146.38 KiB | Viewed 3861 times ]
2.jpeg
2.jpeg [ 170.4 KiB | Viewed 3861 times ]
4.jpeg
4.jpeg [ 184.63 KiB | Viewed 3861 times ]

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2013, 00:39 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

Why not call it The Punisher instead? :D

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2013, 03:22 

Actually, "Punisher" was my first idea :)
but Puncher better corresponds to the style this blade is made for.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2013, 20:05 

Some fresh photos:

Attachments:
4cdd.jpg
4cdd.jpg [ 158.28 KiB | Viewed 3802 times ]
59yl.jpg
59yl.jpg [ 149.71 KiB | Viewed 3802 times ]
h0bh.jpg
h0bh.jpg [ 162.82 KiB | Viewed 3802 times ]

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2013, 19:25 
Super User

Very nice pictures KUK I'm really looking forward to your review. I'm wondering if it has any similarities to my Armstrong High Level which is a rather thick all basswood blade.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 19:24 
Super User

so how is the blade working out for you kuk?

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2013, 01:52 

sunflex wrote:
so how is the blade working out for you kuk?

how is it working for the post or customs? - is the right question )
i can hardly wait for it

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2013, 18:16 

Got it! It's beautiful and plays amazing.
It is the best blade for double sided SP i've tried so far, although i can compare it only to japanese 20 yo primorac off- and rather new avalox p700. To my surprise not only flat hitting and blocking was better but looping as well. I would attribute this to the weight of the blade/rubbers, special composition and perfect crafting (not sure what contributes most). With my previous light setups bounce felt hollow, now it's solid. I'd like to compare it to other 100+ gramms blades.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2013, 19:16 
Super User

kuk wrote:
Got it! It's beautiful and plays amazing.
It is the best blade for double sided SP i've tried so far, although i can compare it only to japanese 20 yo primorac off- and rather new avalox p700. To my surprise not only flat hitting and blocking was better but looping as well. I would attribute this to the weight of the blade/rubbers, special composition and perfect crafting (not sure what contributes most). With my previous light setups bounce felt hollow, now it's solid. I'd like to compare it to other 100+ gramms blades.

Good that it's working out for you! I understand what you mean with the extra solidness. Blades which have that feel are so much better for hitting and blocking then those hollow flexible blades.
Actually this is the reason I'm having a very hard time to find a replacement for my Juic Nebula which also has that solid feel but is very light (82 grams), I have an Armstrong Hi Level which has the same solid feel but it's a lot thicker,chunkier and also heavier. When blocking and hitting this only is a plus but when looping I have huge problems with my timing with such a heavy blade. I guess the Hi Level must come pretty close performance wise to your pf4 032 clone. Please keep us posted with a deatailed review.