OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 21 Apr 2024, 01:07

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2023, 18:52 

Blade: Mima Ito Carbon
FH: Polestar-P
BH: Moristo SP
Hi all, I am amateur player, I play 4-5h/week without coach.
Last year I played LP, more of push/ chop modern defender, best equipment was VKM + P4 + fh_inverted.
This year I want to try SP, after some research I play VKM + Spectol S1 1.6mm. I like it better than LP because I can to BH drive, push, play close-to-table initial balls, after 8h of training I can also do some 3rd ball attacks with Spectol (I serve short backspin, I receive short backspin, I smash). I prefer mid-distance game. I copied Han Ying setup.

I realized that during a match with better topspin attacker opponent: I now chop with Spectol only 1-2 balls per set; I prefer more BH soft pushes, drive, quick blocks, smash backspin (and of course finish with FH strokes).
Some of my opponents push me far from table, where I prefer FH topspin/ BH chop.

Considering low number of chops in matches, I am considering changing VKM blade, but I am not sure. Some ideas that I have:
Oversized head blades:
1. Keep VKM blade for one more season: Advantages: 10/10 control that I like, I am used to blade feeling, I learn all SP strokes, I can play near the net opening. Disadvantages: slow blocks, less speed, smashes. I read that SP works better with faster blades.
2. I have DHS 08x blade, that is stiff and a little faster, but I honestly don't like the chinese handle and the feeling.
3. Buy VKM Offensive: I saw people here on forum with VKMO+SP setup. A: faster; D: expensive. I am not sure that I really need oversized blade, if chopping 1-2 balls/ set.
4. Buy Yuto Muramatsu: Same as 3 - I read that has softer feeling than VKMO;
Normal head blades:
5. Buy Sanwei Fextra7: A: Cheap, I can test how 7ply wood is working with my current strokes, even chopping from far distance; D: smaller head means I cannot reuse big rubbers on oversized blades;
6. Buy Butterfly SK7: I read is a good butterfly blade for amateur SP;
7. Victas Swat Power (or other Victas better for SP all-round)
8. Others: Nittaku Violin, Acoustic, Stiga Clipper etc. I even read that composite blades like Butterfly Innerforce might work (https://www.megaspin.net/articles/586/b ... alc-review) - inner alc layer has a soft touch that might work with sp;

I would like a blade that I can keep my control (not as high as VKM, but closer), and maybe learn more aggressive strokes. I am opened to advices, thanks!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2023, 07:38 

Blade: Mima Ito Carbon
FH: Polestar-P
BH: Moristo SP
If someone is interested on this topic, I bought 3 months ago Butterfly Innerforce ZLC and played it with Victas Spectol 1.6mm on BH and Friendship Battle2 on FH. I was coming from Classic Defender VKM blade and Innerforce was perfect for FH topspin play, very controllable serves, close to table, mid distance topspins. For 1 months I played with Spectol 1.6mm to learn Short Pips, but I decided to switch to 802-40 2.0mm 35 hardness.
802-40 felt better than Spectol, it was very spinny and I could play very good all-round game. Serves return I could return either with chop, either with punch, depends.