OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 13:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Nittaku Sound Review
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 12:54 
Hard Justice

First Impressions: The shape of the blade may look unusual from the pic above, but it will throw you off even more when seen in person for the first time; the blade face is already tall at 275mm, but with the extra long handle gives the illusion of being even taller. This combined with the thin width of the blade at 116mm, and I was really surprised to take it out of the box. I also noticed that even though the blade is 3-ply, almost all of the 5mm thickness is a single ply, with the 1st and 3rd ply being so thin as to not be noticed.

Strengths: The blade is ridiculously light (59g) and combined with the shape makes it unbelievably maneuverable, so anything requiring over-the-table play comes naturally; reaching forward and flipping the ball anywhere on the table with surgical precision is a cakewalk and makes you feel like a champ in the short game. It's other strength would be its reach; those balls that you just can't quite get to in the corners that end up going off the tip of the paddle now have a chance of getting over the table. Even some hits that land deep on your side are very easy to thwack over pretty hard, with the illustration on the front of Dr. Neubauer Scalpel coming to mind, since swinging this blade through the air is like wielding a thin razor that slices through the ball any which way you want.

Weaknesses: The blade has a very high flex, which would lead one to think that it loops well, but taking into account how meager the width of the blade face is, you may just as easily hit the ball on one of the paddle edges while trying to perform a full stroke. The flex also gives the blade a very high throw, and even with very minimal topspin, trying to block makes the ball pop up very, very high. This can be solved by making active strokes instead. I would say that everything else is also a weakness due to the paddle's shape. It may perform well while chopping, but I'm not a chopper myself and I would imagine the light weight and high flex is not what a chopper is looking for.

Strategies: Keep the ball as short as possible and play to your advantages of the short game; even low balls can be flipped quite easily. The blade is extremely slow, so starting the serve very short and well-placed will not be a problem. You may be able to take out your opponent before he ever gets the point going.

Last edited by abdulmuhsee on 30 Jul 2010, 06:22, edited 1 time in total.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: Nittaku Sound Review
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 13:50 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Nice review, thanks abdulmuhsee!

I can't believe how narrow the blade is!

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2010, 18:46 
Cho Tokusen

Iruiru website quoted the following :
The racket made for SOUND table tennis.
It's the shape suitable for SOUND table tennis
I wonder what is SOUND table tennis ?

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2010, 11:52 
Hard Justice

aeoliah wrote:
Iruiru website quoted the following :
The racket made for SOUND table tennis.
It's the shape suitable for SOUND table tennis
I wonder what is SOUND table tennis ?

That's the translation of the marketing piece from japanese on Nittaku's website copied to iruiru; didn't make much sense to me either. I thought it might mean it makes a unique sound, but it's a standard 'pong' telltale of slower, more flexible blades.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2010, 15:50 

This is sound table tennis.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2010, 20:30 
Cho Tokusen

Cool ! So it is made for people who has problem with the eyesight.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2014, 09:50 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Is this blade still made? I can see very few places that still sell it.