OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 10:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2014, 23:12 

lecridupongiste wrote:
Very interesting ! I knew you could bake rubbers (especially pips out and anti), but never thought to put blades in the oven !
I wonder... do the "cooked" blades feel stiffer ? harder ?

Yes, I'm looking forward to hearing from the difference between your regular Matsushita and your "baked" one.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2014, 02:03 
The King

PierreAd wrote:
lecridupongiste wrote:
Very interesting ! I knew you could bake rubbers (especially pips out and anti), but never thought to put blades in the oven !
I wonder... do the "cooked" blades feel stiffer ? harder ?

Yes, I'm looking forward to hearing from the difference between your regular Matsushita and your "baked" one.

I put Galaxy mars ii and palio 531 on both Matsushita blades, difference in weight is now 15 gram at pretty much the exact same size and shape.

more results: wintec power defence from 72 to 68 gram, another wintec from 73 to 69,butterfly defence alpha from 91 to 87. So far it seems you can get any 2 blades of the same type within 1 gram if the shapes are identical. Maximum weight loss seems to be around 10%, I think this also depends on the wood type and the age of the blade.

The defplay I put in the oven seems to be much slower than my other defplay blades. Testing tonight.

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2014, 05:14 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
would be interesting to know whether the "baking" alters the feel of the blade whilst playing/its properties..

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2014, 05:21 
The King

Testing right now, the baking effect is very noticeable on the defplay. Dampening effect is better and attacking with pips is much easier. Tested with 2 defplay blades with giant dragon talon.

The difference is less noticeable on the Matsushita blades but the galaxy rubbers don't seem to work well on this blade. In a blind test I could easily pick the lighter defplay as the playing characteristics are different, on the Matsushita blades probably not.

Put to rest:
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2014, 07:37 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Elvis56 wrote:
Testing right now, the baking effect is very noticeable on the defplay. Dampening effect is better and attacking with pips is much easier. Tested with 2 defplay blades with giant dragon talon.

Wow! If this both lightens the blade and enhances the dampening effect also, this really is breakthrough research. Good job!

Are you going to try your Nittaku Shake Defense?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2014, 07:54 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
I really hope this method of reducing blade weight is not half-baked :)
The playing characteristics remaining unaltered is the second thing I would want to verify, after the weight of course.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2014, 07:58 
The King

mynamenotbob wrote:
Elvis56 wrote:

Wow! If this both lightens the blade and enhances the dampening effect also, this really is breakthrough research. Good job!

Are you going to try your Nittaku Shake Defense?

Probably not as my shake defence is a very old blade to begin with so it will most likely not lose much weight. And besides that my shake defense is a prototype without any brand markings so it's a bit too unique to put in my oven.

I really enjoyed playing with the oven baked defplay, overall control was better and attacking was easier. Going to put another defplay in the oven to see if I will get the same effect with this one.

Put to rest:

Current standings:

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2014, 08:07 
The King

Retriever wrote:
I really hope this method of reducing blade weight is not half-baked :)
The playing characteristics remaining unaltered is the second thing I would want to verify, after the weight of course.

It seems to vary from blade to blade, on the Matsushita playing characteristics didn't change but the defplay feels different. A wood expert like Ross leidy may have some useful thoughts on playing characteristics and dried wood.

Update: the second defplay is down to 77 gram now after 20 minutes, 76 after 30 minutes

Put to rest:

Current standings:

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2014, 08:39 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
Elvis did you notice how the forehand is affected?great stuff btw :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2014, 08:46 
The King

dazzler wrote:
Elvis did you notice how the forehand is affected?great stuff btw :clap: :clap:

There was some difference but the forehand rubbers on the 2 blades were not the same on the defplay blades. On backhand attack was noticeably easier with both pips and inverted. The second defplay that just got the oven treatment has xiom Vega pro (yes I took the rubbers of before putting it in the oven) which sometimes produces strange balls that go straight without any arch whatsoever. Will test soon to see if that has changed now.

Put to rest:

Current standings:

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2014, 01:21 

I am very curious when i put my joo se hyuk blade for 10 min in the oven and my nittaku kvu.
I hope i didn't ruin them

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2014, 01:27 
The King

Lionheart wrote:
I am very curious when i put my joo se hyuk blade for 10 min in the oven and my nittaku kvu.
I hope i didn't ruin them

I can try the kvu, results soon.

Update: you should probably not try this. The handle is apparently made of 4 separate pieces with some foam inside. All the pieces detached from the blade. I managed to fix this by quickly putting rubber bands on the handle while the glue was still hot.

Put to rest:

Current standings:

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2014, 02:00 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I'm sure this is only temporarily drying the blades beyond the natural water weight all wood carries. Weigh them again in a few months and they will be the same weight they started at + weaker tension / flex rebound from the glue being weakened / damaged.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2014, 02:09 
The King

foam wrote:
I'm sure this is only temporarily drying the blades beyond the natural water weight all wood carries. Weigh them again in a few months and they will be the same weight they started at + weaker tension / flex rebound from the glue being weakened / damaged.

This is probably correct, but all blades pick up sweat while playing so in theory all blades gain weight over time. I will weigh again in a month or so. The glue layer could get damaged probably but so far I have not seen any layers detaching besides the kvu and this was only at the handle.

I though this would hardly make a change on old blades but I just tried a small no name blade that is easily 30 years old, it went from 90 to 85.

Put to rest:

Current standings:

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2014, 22:45 

Very interesting experiment. I'm curious if the blade were to put in microwave instead of oven. Have you tried ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next