OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:10

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2021, 23:10 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei Fextra 7
FH: PALIO AK47 Red
BH: Dr. Neubauer K.O. Pro 1.5
Just a few unsorted thoughts about testing Matador Texa Balsa and Stiga Clipper Wood with the same rubbers.

I play with Tibhar Evolution MX-S -- rather hard linear rubber and with Dr. Neubauer K.O. Pro 1.3 -- unspiny MP rubber that affords both LP and SP technique.

1) Matador is faster, harder and with lower throw. I am not sure either Clipper or Matador is more spin sensitive. Both blades designed to tame spin rather then populate spin.
2) IMO hard inverted rubber does not fit to Matador. Low dwell make it difficult to generate power during loop. Wristy short strokes are nicely controllable if you adjust your racker angle to Matador's very low throw. But I personally do not play rubbers with catapult that Matador wants.
3) Matador pips' side has unexpected good feeling and sure better spin then Clipper. Because of feel Matador performs much better and controllable during short game and passive blocking. The Matador blade has better grip for pips that makes pushes and chops are easier to perform and with more spin. Any shorter strokes are better with Matador.
4) But Stiga Clipper is better when you want to charge big hit with large stroke. Clipper longer holds the ball, but it is surprisingly less spin sensitive then other blades I tried. Clipper is a dream for smash and power loops. Stiga Clipper is adequate during short game but it is very solid in middle distance and away from the table. Stiga Clipper is better at attacking with speed and active blocking.
6) Matador Texa Balsa has unique good feel among fast blades. It generates good spin with short strokes. It is designed for fast close to the table game and less potent away. I know many defensive blades that are perfect for pips out and have difficulties in attacking side. Matador is full OFF speed but still a defensive push-blocking blade for me.

I am addicted to MX-S rubber so decided to continue to play with Clipper despite of I play 80% strokes with pips. I personally need sure FH for the cost of BH complexity.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2021, 02:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
Omut,
I just wanted to tell you I really appreciate your posts!

Why do you think balsa blades are less potent away from the table? I cannot quite figure out why.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2021, 04:19 
Super User

vanjr wrote:
Omut,
I just wanted to tell you I really appreciate your posts!

Why do you think balsa blades are less potent away from the table? I cannot quite figure out why.

IMO the more you play away the bigger your strokes normally have to be and the more dwell time from your blade you need. Blade's dwell time is not directly equal to blade's general spin generation ability. Both terms are similar but both are different non linear function of ball's power (incoming and generated by your technique) and your rubbers choice.

Some blades are designed for short strokes so they kick the ball earlier with less dwell as the power increases. Typical balsa blades are difinitely in this category.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2022, 08:35 
Super User

Stiga Clipper Wood and Sanwei Fextra are much better for chopping with pips-out rubbers. Stable low traectory. Texa Balsa rejects chops high and it is harder to control return depth.

But I decided to switch to my Dr. Neubauer Texa Balsa. I gained sharp BH block control, better short game and better BH opening (shorter simpler safer gestures for the same result).

And I begin to enjoy Tibhar Aurus Prime on Matador. Prime felt mushy and bouncy on Stiga Clipper. I need to dramatically reduce my FH gestures for Prime after MX-S experience.

I usually block with chicken-wing pips or actively counter-hit with inverted FH, so I do not know how good Clipper, Fextra or Matador FH inverted blocks are.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2022, 05:31 
Super User

My heavy damaged Texa Balsa blade is retired.
The reasons I will not buy a new exemplar.
1) It is fragile. Not because of Balsa core (it is just fine) but because damage impact tears bond between top wood plies and texalium layer. A strict sign of bad design or bad technology.
2) I prefer Clipper Wood from mid-distance for everything: attacking and counter-attacking and FH and BH chopping.
3) The blade have low dwell and low throw that puts my BH lift into the net when I am tired and cannot bend my knees enough. Stiga Clipper does not have such pronounced effect. Clipper is less demanding.
4) I do not like it's straight handle. It hurts my palm even with overgrip tape.
5) FH blocking is tricky. I cannot tell what is specifically wrong but control is not here.

What I will miss without this blade is better feedback both from inverted FH and BH pips-out sides.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2022, 22:43 

Blade: Neub. Matador Texa Carbon
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G1 2.0
BH: Dr Neub Desperado OX
I really like Dr Neubauer Matador Texa Balsa.

The reasons you quit playing with the blade is the reason why are started to use it a while ago.

Ok the blade is a little fragile, i agree with that. Just make sure when you switch rubbers on to the blade, do it very carefully when you take them off: sometimes the edges come off if you are not carefull or if you just rip it off too fast.
I can’t compare it to the Clipper Wood, I never played with it.
The blade has indeed low throw and low dwell but I found it in general very controlled. I liked it especially on the backhand side for pips out rubber, excellent for extra deception / low path :devil: On the Forehand side I use a rubber with higher throw to compensate that. I use Rakza Z Max. Maybe I’m going to switch to Tibhar MX P 2.1 again for a little bit more speed on the forehand side 8) I have to test it soon. Blocking it ok with it. I prefer more active blocking more than passive so maybe that’s the reason I have less trouble in blocking with the lower throw.
Never liked handles from table tennis blades in straight because it always had a strange feeling IN MY HANDS. I always use anatomic handles. Straight is maybe better for twiddling but it can become normal too with an anatomic handle.
I also tested Dr Neubauer Bulldog (more flexible, less stiff) a while ago and it is very good also with pips out. But the Matador Texa Balsa gave me more control and feeling in every situation :punch: The stiffer feeling of the Matador Texa Balsa gave me more confidence with my pips on backhand (attacking, block, push, chop,…) and my inverted rubber on the forehand side.
This is just my personal view of course.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2022, 09:56 
Super User

I may try original Matador blade with Clipper-like core design and it reported slower then Texa Balsa version.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2022, 20:08 

Blade: Thibar Dynamic J7
FH: Spinlord Degu max
BH: Donic Bluefire M3 max
Omut wrote:
I may try original Matador blade with Clipper-like core design and it reported slower then Texa Balsa version.
I have both and my regular Matador is slightly faster than my Texa Balsa but they are pretty close. Biggest difference between them is that the regular one feels harder and has the thick seal on both sides.