OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 01:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2022, 00:22 

Blade: Andro Ligna OFF
FH: Spinfire 1.8
BH: Tactics Ox
I wonder if there are any non oversized slow defensive blades for chopping away from the table with occassional attacks .The reason is changing from oversized to regular sized blades makes you cut the rubber again.Once you feel the regular sized blade is not ok , you cannot use the same rubber on the oversized blade again, so you need to find out a better non oversized blade to suit your game .

I wonder if anyone has had this problem and has come to find decent slow defensive chopping non oversized blades .

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2022, 03:23 

Blade: Avalox P-900
FH: DMS Firestorm soft 2.1mm
BH: Spinlord Strahlkraft Ox
Check out Swedish player Erickson Gustaf on youtube, He is playing stiga clipper cc which is a regular size, offensive blade with Dornenglanz ox Long pips, his chops come with tremendous backspin and perfectly placed, a slow defence blade may be more suitable for lower level players

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2022, 06:01 
Super User

Sami wrote:
I wonder if there are any non oversized slow defensive blades for chopping away from the table with occassional attacks .The reason is changing from oversized to regular sized blades makes you cut the rubber again.Once you feel the regular sized blade is not ok , you cannot use the same rubber on the oversized blade again, so you need to find out a better non oversized blade to suit your game .

Yasaka Sweden Extra rocks.
Non oversized, excellent for both chopping and attacking.
If you want even a little bit slower, then, Yasaka Sweden Classic, Stiga Allround Classic...Dr. Neubauer Kung Fu is good...Also there are a lot of good and cheaper Chinese blades...
Our planet is full of All, All+ blades to play with as a non oversized ''slow defensive'' blade for 40+ mm. Plastic balls. To find and pick one of them is up to you...And this is easy when one feels what he really needs.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2022, 16:37 

Sami wrote:

I wonder if anyone has had this problem and has come to find decent slow defensive chopping non oversized blades .

I am afraid the very premise of this thread is flawed.

Because if you want to be spending most of your time away from the table chopping, then you want an extra large blade, something like 180 mm X 180 mm and not a non-oversized blade.

But if your higher priority is attacks then by definition you are NOT a chopper.
It seems to me that you are not really sure yourself whether you want to be chopper or all around player.
If you play 50% at the table attacking & if you play the rest 50% away from the table chopping then you are not a chopper but you are an all around player (which is perfectly fine if that is what you choose to be for whatever (wrong) reasons) .
But even if you at least only 30% attack, moving close to the table and 70% away from the table chopper , then you want to design your racket for chopping FIRST and then attacking & not other way around.
Yes aren’t we all are looking for that magic racket (may be fully automated) that will do all the work & you will be 2900 player. But you have to sacrifice something but if you are a chopper, your emphasis on your design would weigh more towards chopping and not occasional attacks (unless of course you can chop at 2999 level as a chopper) . Of course if you read the package of any rubber or blade, they will claim their product can do it all.

I know how to have a custom blade made to this dimension & I can get long pips to this side but all major manufacturers have refused to make me an inverted rubber to this size because I am a low level 2100+ amateur hacker (If a pro asked, it would be ready in 10 minutes. they gave excuse something like they need to make a new mold plate or something like that & one Chinese manufacturer said they will do it if I order 1000 pieces LOL)

Nonetheless I am 200% sure that you want the largest possible blade for maximum possible dwell time (for chopping & lobbing) for maxuimum possible back-spin for chopping (and top-spin for lobbing and counter-looping) and you also have more time to get to the ball (for me, especially now that I am older & lost 30% of foot speed). Only smooth wing two sided looping or short pips out attackers need a regular or compact blade and I feel even a close to the table older frictionless (both pips or anti) blocking style player needs at least a semi-large blade if not a large or super-large blade.

Both Tibhar & Joola make some super-large pre-assembled toy rackets with unapproved low grade inverted rubber both sides . I removed smooth rubber one side & put a long pips on that side. The amount of back spin on my chops was just ridiculously high & I was even able to lob with lot more top-spin from the smooth rubber side which had crappy smooth rubber (pre assembled) on other side.

I am not going to comment about pros as I know that would be an argument I cannot win

OH BTW I forgot to mention. All my blades are custom blade & large & carbon on inverted side ONLY (fast) and no carbon on long-pips side (slow)
Currently I am using a Giant Dragon Super Balsa 2 customized as above.

If anyone knows of any quality inverted rubbers that would fit on a 180 mm X 180 mm blade, please let me know. Then I can go ahead & make a custom blade as above.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2022, 23:11 

Blade: Andro Ligna OFF
FH: Spinfire 1.8
BH: Tactics Ox
I do understand what you mean but the reason for a non oversized blade is to BE ABLE TO USE a smaller pips rubber due to being cut out to fit the small size of a new non oversized blade .

Why then do some pros use non oversized blades?.... for the record ,I agree the bigger the blade the better for chopping 90% and attacking 10 %,which is my case by the way .

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2022, 00:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
Seems there isn't much at all def speed /standard head size.
You can resize enlarged head to standard by making a template of a standard blade
I have done this with Defplay Senso,TSP Balsa 2.5 and 3.0 and they play fine,better for me to swing faster and recover ,and less weight= less injury !plus I like the balance closer to the handle and not top heavy
Although f/h attack is 70% of my game the blades block,push and chop very well also,
Don't understand the need for oversized really.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2022, 06:27 

Sami wrote:
Why then do some pros use non oversized blades?....

1. I have seen a lot of pros uses racket designs that are not best suited for their style. They may be "good enough" but not optimal (perfect design is of course a pipe dream even for a pro). The pros are so good in spite of their racket limitations & sometimes coaching malpractice.
2. Amateurs blindly try to copy a pro even if the amateuer's style is somewhat only close to their idol & many cases, the worshipping amateur's style is nowhere close to the pro's style and in some cases players fall to peer-pressure (like high school kids) & afraid to use long-pips or anti and end up using short pips thinking they will be more socially accepted by two-winged loopers who rule the table-tennis world at every level.

I don't want to get into all this in detail & start a pissing contest because many posters in these forums get very upset if I criticize their idol who they are trying to blindly emulate or other reasons like peer pressure but my point is that you want to design your own racket for your own playing style, which is usually very different from a pro for probably 75% to 80% humans (probably more) and based on a player's strengths (more like limitations in the case of amateurs LOL)

Last edited by Marie on 23 Jan 2022, 00:26, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2022, 10:49 

Sami wrote:
Why then do some pros use non oversized blades?

Let me add something.

The reason for this is that there rarely ever been any pure pro "chopper" (or classical defender) using long pips one side in the 40 ball (I said 40 not 40+ plastic) thanks to ITTF's extermination of choppers. Scholer & Berczik were pick hitters but I do not know what size blade they used. I do not know about Hilton either. I only have seen videos of Dick Miles & Lou Pagliaro in the hardbat domain but I heard Dick Miles who seemed to be close to being a pure chopper as close anyone can be , I heard used to hit the ball super hard on forehand & I do not know what size blades they used. Richard Bergmann, I heard only chopped when he was in trouble & do not know what size blade he used. The last ones may have been the likes of Matsushita, Shibutani, Chen Xinhua, Li Gun Sang, Chen Xinhua & I hink all these players used blades that were mid-size or largehead
Most modern defenders have smoking forehand loops & place bigger emphasis on finishing the point with their big forehands.
Joo Sehyuk was the GOAT only because he can also chop so well on his forehand and wear out opponents & his sudden & well placed lethal forehand loop kills rarely ever come back. Same with Chen Weixing. I even wonder if I ever even see Gionis Panogiotis ever chop on the forehand. Yet , if I am not mistaken I think all these defensive players used a mid-size blade or larger blade & not small blade.

So I suspect that is why all these pro moderen defenders prefer a smaller head for higher racket acceleration for their forehand loops.

And this is why I also suspect most women pro defenders use mid size or large blades because they may have less of powerful forehand loop kills than top pro men choppers & it seemed almost all of them loop more on forehand or counterloop & lob away from table.

I have no idea what Hou Yingchao uses for blade but whatever it is, I don't think it matters because his game seems to be centered around his vicious forehand hook loop and that is also why maybe he even gets away with using short pips on backhand ( He is also big and strong & he probably chops the crap out of the ball with short pips, which I doubt any amateur can do, though I also understand stroke mechanics sometimes have something to do with this, for example Li Quan who is a short pips chopper or some small women who have incredible backhand loops and I have seen a small women pro tennis player from Belgium with a super-spinny one handed backhand etc but exceptions don't make the rules but amateurs get so obsessed with something new.....nothing wrong in experimenting or being an EJ but should be within contexts of reality and not cross-over to psychotic side) ; but this may work against lower pro players but not against a top 10 player. I saw a video where Ma Long beating him badly (This is the video where after this match, Hou is talking with Liu Guoliang, where it seemed (I may be wrong) Hou was sort of self-pitying with a wry smile & Liu was laughing). I do not know which year Hou beat Wang Liqin, whether during when he won his first China national title using long pips or few years later. But if 10 years later, that is very impressive nevertheless. Nonetheless it also does not mean an amateur hacker can do well with short pips as it seems to be the fad now for all the wrong reasons (such as intense peer pressure) . Contrast this with Joo Sehyuk who seemed to always lose like deuce in the 5th or 7th to Ma Long or Kong Linghui (But for the 1998 Aspect Ratio fisaco+ 2000 big ball+ 2003 pips density regulation+2013 plastic-40+ ball + Kong's speed-glued or Ma Long's boosted rubbers, all those matches belong to Joo Sehyuk because that is like them spotting a handicap of 3 or 4 points in a 11 point game LOL )
So my point is that most amateurs in TT forums over-obsess with what pro players use to an extreme that sometimes borders psychotic. I discussed about this in my previous reply. Amateur players just don't have the powerful and consistent forehands like a pro but the amateurs fantasize they do or could