OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 08:54

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Making your blade heavy
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2022, 03:21 

Blade: Andro Ligna OFF
FH: Spinfire 1.8
BH: Tactics Ox
I need my blade to be far heavier.I just thought to add extra grip tape.

Do you know any other useful ways to add extra grams ?

Thanks .

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2022, 05:05 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
There is lead tape you can put around the edge of the blade.

That will usually make the blade play faster but not the same as a naturally heavier blade.

I prefer a heavy blade. :)

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2022, 05:06 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Sami wrote:
I need my blade to be far heavier.I just thought to add extra grip tape.

Do you know any other useful ways to add extra grams ?

Thanks .
I use lead tape, same as used on golf clubs to balance them. You tape them as edge tape and then put edge tape outside (or they will most likely fall off). One piece weights about 3 gram, and you can put at least three of them around your bat, and then ad another layer of lead tape if you need.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2022, 15:08 

Blade: Wakkibat Poc-Rocket 10
FH: Focus III Snipe 2.2mm
BH: Xiom Vega Europe 2mm
I had a discussion along these lines with another poster recently, who wanted to weight their blade more towards their handle to improve its balance.

You might find that information useful, but rather than re-direct you to the previous thread, I 've just cut and pasted my responses below in italics:

- Balancing a blade more towards the handle is also an extremely simple thing to do - you can do it yourself through a number of methods:

- Removing the handle's scales and use heavier wood is one way, though this can also potentially affect your blade's playing characteristics if you're not careful.

- Cutting a small section out of your handle scales, inserting heavier material then gluing another section of wood on top is another.

- I've heard of a few people adding several grams of heavy material underneath their handle strapping too.

You can also achieve the same effect temporarily by playing with fingerless gloves and taping some weight to the palm, or even just holding a few grams of something small and heavy in your hand while you play.

You didn't mention if you wanted to weight your blade in a particular manner ie: towards the head, towards the handle, to merely shift the balance point in general, or even to keep a neutral balance while making the whole blade heavier.

You also didn't say if you play competition or not. IF you play comp at a high level, adding weight to your bat gets a bit tricky if it's not done in a permanent manner.

For a bladesmith, weighting an existing blade more towards the head is trickier than weighting it towards the handle, as you have far less blade real estate to deal with. With a blade that's still being built, the easiest way to make it top heavy is to either use lighter handle timber, or substitute one or more of its plies with denser ones (though this will also increase the speed of the bat), or do both at once.

If you only want an existing blade to be slightly heavier / top heavy (and you intend to use it in competition), put some heavier than normal epoxy resin around the playing surface edge. Put one thin coat round the whole playing surface edge, then one or two additional coats on the top third or top half 'to protect the leading edge' (...and add a few more grams ;) )

Avoid the temptation to add any tint/dye/colouring to the epoxy, as technically speaking the epoxy needs to be transparent so a match official can inspect the blade's ply sandwich. So long as you don't go overboard with the thickness of it, it *should* still be considered legal without any issues, and *should* sail through racquet control (though obviously I can't guarantee this, as really its up to the match officials).

Another head-weighting technique which is *potentially* competition legal is to add weight to your edge tape.

If your blade has the thick, padded-foam style edging tape on it, you could buy some several split-bean lead sinkers, cut them completely in half (they come pre split) and embed them in the underside of the tape - put a small nick in the underside of the tape at the very top of your blade right on top of its vertical axis of symmetry (the centreline) and insert it into the foam so it doesn't touch your blade, then seal it with some double-sided tape. You put your first sinker right on the vertical centerline, then the rest go on either side of it at regular intervals, with an equal number of sinkers on both sides to maintain balance. Just remember to stop before you get to the outer edges of your blade's playing surface... you don't want too much extra weight out there - best to keep it close to the centrelines.

Edge tape modification for competition is a bit of a grey area really.

IIRC, you're not allowed to add anything to a blade that effectively extends its playing surface beyond its natural limits. Edge tape exists to protect the blade, not make it larger

That said, I note that while a single layer of edge tape is considered part of the blade, it is not considered part of the playing surface, and unlike a blade, there are seemingly no rules which govern the constitution, material or physical make-up of edge tape... so I'm honestly not sure if adding weight TO the edge tape is an issue or not, or if altering the nature of the edge tape after manufacture is considered against the spirit of the game.

Adding lead-tape underneath your edge tape would be very effective at increasing the weight, but potentially even more questionable for ITTF competition, as its harder to argue it's there to protect the blade, and harder to argue you're not trying to hide some temporary blade modifications.

Ironically, if however you only used lead tape on its own AS an edge tape, and declare as such to racquet control, then that MIGHT be more likely to be ruled as legal (it would do a great job of protecting the edge, and you could argue that you have used lead tape as you have a habit of hitting the table very hard, while lead is soft enough to give and not damage the table, whilst being harder than the blade's inner material which needs protecting

(Ahhh - welcome to the weird, confusing world of bat modification and trying to interpret and accommodate both a player's wishes and inflexible ITTF rules :lol: :lol: )

If you go down the epoxy route (which for comp would be safest of all), be sure to weigh the stuff first so you know exactly how much weight you're adding, and remember to coat both left and right forward edges of your blade equally, otherwise you may throw out its balance during play.

As other posters have commented, lead tape on the handle works too and may also be competition legal - just be sure to cover it with something, as you don't want to touch the stuff too much - IIRC, heavy metals (like lead oxide) can be absorbed through the skin over time.

Other legal ways to make your blade heavier include:

- Using heavier rubbers (probably the easiest and best way of all frankly) Regardless of what rubbers you use, there's probably a heavier variant out there by another brand which plays a lot like your current ones... it may even make you play better. Yasaka Rakza's can be pretty damn heavy but they play brilliantly

- Add an engraved brass nameplate to the handle base

- Adding extra weight in holes drilled into the handle scales underneath your brass nameplate (again, quite legal.... just don't insert them into the blade's core).

- Glue wooden veneer around the blade's playing edge (again, a bit dodgy for competition blades, as while I doubt most match officials would kick up a fuss, it still does technically obscure their view of the playing surface's plywood sandwich, and they need to be able to inspect it under ITTF rules as part of raquet control).

... or as others have already said, just change to a heavier blade. There are literally hundreds of heavy ones out there to choose from :) :)

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2022, 21:10 

Blade: Andro Ligna OFF
FH: Spinfire 1.8
BH: Tactics Ox
Thank you so much for all your help.It's been very enlightening.
I can now know what to do. :)

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2022, 14:14 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
I am pretty notorious for adding weight low to blades that need it... I call it the BEAST MOD.

Often, these blades have hollowed out the throat... so I remove the handles with a heat gun, toss in glue to the open space, then toss in things depending on what weight I want... sometimes toothpicks sometimes paper clips... then I put it back together.

Filing in empty space completely and reinforcing it is important to me for the feel, solid, and also really helps the balance.

Adding grip tape MIGHT be enough to shift the balance lower, but often, it is not.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2022, 14:15 

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
hookshot wrote:
There is lead tape you can put around the edge of the blade.

That will usually make the blade play faster but not the same as a naturally heavier blade.

I prefer a heavy blade. :)

HOOKSHOT !!! Hey U guys !!! You gunna get ur 600 posts and if you hurry up, you can see me in action in 2022 Meiklejohn Seniors tourney... :D

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter