OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2023, 21:36 

I am new. Sorry if discussed already many times LOL
Considr this a revisit down the memory lane.
So why all these different head shapes round (cPen) , rectangular (jPen) , square & the new cyber ?
I am also including shakehand as well

Pros & Cons ?

And why do (or historically did) Chinese prefer round & Japanese & Koreans prefer rectangular

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2023, 19:29 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Wony wrote:
I am new. Sorry if discussed already many times LOL
Considr this a revisit down the memory lane.
So why all these different head shapes round (cPen) , rectangular (jPen) , square & the new cyber ?
I am also including shakehand as well

Pros & Cons ?

And why do (or historically did) Chinese prefer round & Japanese & Koreans prefer rectangular

If you look at old historical photographs you'll see more shapes that were popular back in the 1930s-1960s that have gone out of style. Tibor Klampar, for instance, played with a trapezoidal blade (which was actually pretty common), and that famous series of photos of Dell Sweeris executing a slow brush loop shows him using a rectangular (shakehands) bat. Again, fairly common back in the day. More recently, there's the violin shaped blade used by Damien Eloi.

As for Japanese penhold blades - see if you can find a copy of the Armstrong catalog - they make and sell a HUGE variety of Japanese penhold blades - round ones, rectangular ones, ones with undercut handles (no idea what they're for), double sided ones made for twiddling... From what I understand, the rectangular blades are for behind-the-table play (which would be most topspin-oriented players) while the smaller, rounded blades are for over-the-table play - maybe short pips players.

As to why Chinese penhold blades (and most blades today) are oval.. I suppose there's that very strong influence - as Reb Tevye sings- TRADITION!

Iskandar

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2023, 00:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Dr. Ormai's book relates a historical fact thal penhold grip dominated in Europa all along 1920.'s
Oblonged shape for penhold was invented in Š•uropa. Penhold is good for those starchnek gentlemen rooted in ground near the table.

be happy.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2023, 16:05 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Never heard of Dr. Ormai. :lol:

Iskandar