OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 09 Aug 2020, 12:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Butterfly keyshot light
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2010, 19:46 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
I have an opportunity to buy one of these used, but cheap and in top condition. Can anyone give their opinion of the blade? What i really want is a cheap and suitable backup to my acoustic- so something softish, low vibration, not too much flex and a similar speed. Does this blade have those properties?

185g

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 01:15 

A great looping blade with softer touch than TBS or Maze. Some good vibration. Good speed with Max rubbers.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 13:23 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Do a search, ages ago there was discussion about the keyshot, but I don't remember if it was the light version or not.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 20:21 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Frogger - thanks, very useful info.

Reb, I did search before posting (always do, honest!) and the only useful info I got was a post from Silver ( viewtopic.php?f=43&t=855&hilit=keyshot+light ). Thing is, I'm not familiar with most of those Bty blades. I have a Primorac OFF- that I find too slow and I have hit briefly with A Korbel 5-ply (not sure which Silver is referencing, 5 or 7 ply). It does sound to be in the speed range that will suit me, as I don't want a super fast blade (as an example the T-4 was way to hard and fast for me).

I was hoping someone might be able to give a comparison, mainly WRT speed, to the Acoustic, or failing that an Avalox BT555 or T-11.

185g

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2010, 05:27 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Well, I bit the bullet and stuck some rubbers on this blade and gave it a try. And quite liked it, here's my comments.

This blade is 82g, FL handle. I've played ST for a while now, but the flare is quite narrow so this didn't bother me. As to be expected with the Arylate layer the blade is harder than the Acoustic I've got used to. Some vibration, any more and I would not like it.

Speed wise this blade is a notch slower than the acoustic, and faster than the classic benchmark Primorac OFF- that most of us have used at one time or another. I don't think it as fast as Silver rated it in his butterfly blade comparison thread.

I was very impressed with this blade when close to the table; wonderful for blocking, flicking, pushing etc. Very easy to achieve precise placement. I was less impressed when forced away from the table. If you are good at generating your own power and holding the table this is a very competent blade that can do anything without being the best at any one thing.

Visually it is very bland, and not worth the price that Butterfly charge. But as I'm getting a near mint example for less than half that price - actually much less than half - I am going to buy this as a backup blade; And I wouldn't be suprised if it becomes a main blade should I try to hold the table more than I do now.

185g