OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 17 Apr 2024, 06:37

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2011, 19:33 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
I received my custom blade from Ross Leidy yesterday and played with it last night at practice, at this time I won't be able to give a full review but I will give my initial impressions.

I really feel I got what I asked for, it's faster than my Defplay and also stiffer and harder which ads some spin reversal and control. The blade is really, really, well made and with a lot of eye for detail! I did put some restrictions on Ross's artistic side since I was more concerned about the weight than the looks, nevertheless it looks really elegant and stylistically pure. It's nice to have a blade with some personality and not all the fancy colors that the "mainstream" blade have.

I immediately glued on my black Calibra LT max and red Grass D.Tecs OX, both new and out of the package. When you pick up the paddle you immediately feel that this is a not a mass-produced blade, it got some kind of an aura around it. I could perhaps compare this to the Defplay I play with that is completely different than the other three Defplays I own, but this Leidy blade takes this one level further.

Now to how the blade plays! When I started hitting my FH's I immediately felt the quality of the wood which gives you a lot better ball-feeling, the blade is, as I mentioned earlier, faster than Defplay and also faster than NSD. I also get a lot more arc in all my offensive shots which is good since it helps me keep the ball on the table with my more speed-focused FH. I have only praise to give about how the blade plays on the FH, it's simply a masterpiece here with good speed and tremendous ball-feeling.

On the BH I had some troubles in the beginning, which I expected due to the speed. Also on this side of the bat the ball-feeling is outstanding from everything else I've tried. When chopping it performs very well and I could put good spin on the ball, probably about the same as with Defplay and NSD. The greater speed is actually only a good thing when chopping since I can brush the ball more and get more spin and control, it's also easier to return shots only on reflexes when you just have time to reach the ball.

At the table the spin reversal is better than with Defplay and NSD due to the harder surface and higher speed, in the beginning I had problems with keeping the harder loops on the table since I'm used to slower blades, but this was expected. I will probably need about two weeks before I can give a full review in this area but it feels really good when I get the ball on the table which I did a lot more in the end of the session. It's probably just a question of getting used to the higher speed.

Service returns is definitely better due to the better ball-feeling and the speed makes the LP less spin sensitive and makes it easier to put pressure on my opponent.

As you might have understood already you could sum it up with these words: Ridiculous Ball-Feeling! Ross have made a really good job and he does indeed make unique blades with very good quality wood.

More impressions to come later, with some pictures too.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2011, 08:20 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Sounds very promising auzcar!

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2011, 09:57 
The Wood Magician

Auzcar - you were a pleasure to work with, and I didn't feel at all restricted by your choices of wood for the blade. :) I appreciate the detailed report of your initial impressions of the blade. I look forward to hearing how things work out after you've had more time to get acquainted with the blade. Best of luck to you on continued testing.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2011, 18:19 

Like Auzcar I purchased a custom made blade(USB model) from Ross who gave a great service from the start until the blade was in my hand. I am still in a testing mode but for my close to the table game this much is evident. This blade is the slowest I have used with much improved control and touch on my backhand using DTechs OX. Spin reversal with passive blocks appears to be as good as before. My forehand may require some work but 90% of my game is on the backhand.

Ross Leidy USB Blade
B/H DTechs red ox
F/H Juic defence 1mm

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2011, 17:38 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

I've had a couple of more sessions now and I'm starting to get used to the speed, probably have to change FH rubber cause Calibra doesn't seem to suit this blade, it's way too bouncy now to chop good, attack is good. My feelings towards this blade remains pretty much the same as my initial impressions, ball feeling is outstanding and the speed is just perfect. Here's some pictures:

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2011, 21:48 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
Wow. Beautiful.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2011, 00:56 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Here's some clips of me chopping with the new blade:

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2011, 01:43 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Blade sounds like it plays as beautifully as it looks Auzcar. I'd love one but I wouldn't know where to start with what I'd want :lol: I love the feel of my Gergely's over other blades I've had, but I'm certain the right custom composition would be awesome to have. Just how exactly did you specify to Ross what you wanted, and do you think its more of a fluke that you got such a good fit, or does Ross have witchcraft as well as woodcraft? :lol: :lol: :rofl:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2011, 05:56 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Blade sounds like it plays as beautifully as it looks Auzcar. I'd love one but I wouldn't know where to start with what I'd want :lol: I love the feel of my Gergely's over other blades I've had, but I'm certain the right custom composition would be awesome to have. Just how exactly did you specify to Ross what you wanted, and do you think its more of a fluke that you got such a good fit, or does Ross have witchcraft as well as woodcraft? :lol: :lol: :rofl:

First of all I knew what I wanted from my blade, IE stiffness, hardness, weight, speed, weight-balance and so on. That combined with Ross's knowledge about different woodtypes made us decide how the blades composition was going to be. Size, shape and grip says itself, it's only to choose the shapes you feel most comfortable with. I have no idea if it was a fluke or not since this is the only blade I have from Ross, but I never felt that neither him nor I was guessing at any part of the process, we always had a very good communication and exchange of ideas to make it as good as possible. In short, I don't think it was a fluke, it's just a matter of knowing what you want from the blade and take your time and communicate as much as possible. Ross is a really good craftsman and I will surely "work" with him again, either to make a couple of backup-blades or to make some adjustments if I feel something could be improved.

Also remember that the wood that Ross is using are of higher quality compared to the massproduced blades.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2011, 00:37 
The Wood Magician

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:

Hi Reb,
While each choice in the selection of plies is an intentional and (hopefully) informed decision, to a certain extent each unique composition is an experiment given all of the possible variables. I try to keep the construction process itself as consistent as possible to eliminate that variability. I also engage those who commission blades in order to tap their knowledge and involve them in the process, most of whom have much more experience with the game than I do. And pairing the talents of a woodworker with the talents of an experienced player can lead to a successful outcome - as Auzcar demonstrates above. :)

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2011, 01:03 
Stir Crazy

auzcar wrote:
My feelings towards this blade remains pretty much the same as my initial impressions, ball feeling is outstanding and the speed is just perfect.

Looks beautiful as always. I'm surprised no-one has asked about the blade's composition and weight. Would you like to share?

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2011, 01:06 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Tassie52 wrote:
auzcar wrote:
My feelings towards this blade remains pretty much the same as my initial impressions, ball feeling is outstanding and the speed is just perfect.

Looks beautiful as always. I'm surprised no-one has asked about the blade's composition and weight. Would you like to share?

The composition is, if my memory serves me right; Tasmanian Blackwood - Bamboo - Western Red Cedar - Bamboo - Tasmanian Blackwood, it's weighs in at 85.7g according to Ross's measurements.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2011, 01:18 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Love your work Ross! I think you must be something of a genius with wood...or a Wood Magician perhaps? :lol:

Have you thought about bringing carbon into the process or would that be sacrilegious? :rofl:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2011, 01:54 
The Wood Magician

Tassie52 wrote:
auzcar wrote:

Tassie52 gets the credit for introducing Tasmanian Blackwood into the material selection, and a couple people have now enjoyed the benefit. It's beautiful and is relatively hard without being super heavy.

auzcar wrote:
The composition is, if my memory serves me right; Tasmanian Blackwood - Bamboo - Western Red Cedar - Bamboo - Tasmanian Blackwood, it's weighs in at 85.7g according to Ross's measurements.

Exactly right.

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Love your work Ross! I think you must be something of a genius with wood...or a Wood Magician perhaps? :lol:

Have you thought about bringing carbon into the process or would that be sacrilegious? :rofl:

Thanks! I've been asked about carbon/composite blades a number of time. I'm no stranger to using composites (from the wood strip kayaks that I build), but I'm not quite ready to switch to using them on blades. It would require switching to using epoxy to glue the layers, which is a little more time-consuming and messy. It's not out of the question, but I'm not there yet.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2011, 12:35 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

Ross, I think that you should make models based on discontinued blades such as the original OC (oldstiga style) the matsushita pro (still unknown) and the PF4 032, though i think that your system of making custom tailored blades is pure genius.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!