OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 22:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2023, 17:23 

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. I have made several blades myself, thnx to a lot of inspiration here. This weekend I made my first blade (balsa core, walnut veneer outers) with carbon layers. The blade sound hollow. I used epoxy 1:1 ratio (due to manual). It was not great to use....(as on YouTube video's where epoxy is more fluid). Question; are there members who also did make a diy carbon blade ? Which epoxy did you use ? And/or which carbon layering ?

Thnx in advance for your reaction / advice.

Kind regards,

Albert

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2023, 03:12 

Blade: Wakkibat Poc-Rocket 10
FH: Focus III Snipe 2.2mm
BH: Xiom Vega Europe 2mm
Albert1968 wrote:
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. I have made several blades myself, thnx to a lot of inspiration here. This weekend I made my first blade (balsa core, walnut veneer outers) with carbon layers. The blade sound hollow. I used epoxy 1:1 ratio (due to manual). It was not great to use....(as on YouTube video's where epoxy is more fluid). Question; are there members who also did make a diy carbon blade ? Which epoxy did you use ? And/or which carbon layering ?

Thnx in advance for your reaction / advice.

Kind regards,

Albert

Your problem is the huge change in density, weight and hardness between the core and the outer ply... It's just too extreme.

You need a heavier core wood, or a lighter outer ply.

I would also recommend you use medial plies with your first blades, and try the carbon fiber route later on.

Far easier to lean blade making with all wood blades, rather than going straight to composites.

Good luck.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2023, 07:09 

Thnx a lot Shannon !! I already made some all wood blades, it's very fun to do. But...want a carbon one :) I'll think about your tips next one. Kind Regards, Albert

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2023, 18:11 

Blade: Wakkibat Poc-Rocket 10
FH: Focus III Snipe 2.2mm
BH: Xiom Vega Europe 2mm
Albert1968 wrote:
Thnx a lot Shannon !! I already made some all wood blades, it's very fun to do. But...want a carbon one :) I'll think about your tips next one. Kind Regards, Albert

My pleasure Albert. :)

Apart from the big difference in core and outer density, the blade recipe sounds fine.

You're always going to get that hollow feeling when you combine a very hard outer with a balsa core and no medials - I've done the same thing myself, and it's only due to the very low average density of balsa.  Using Kiri instead of balsa will solve that hollow feeling, and still help keep the weight low, so long as you don't go even harder with your outer ply.

If you do go down the Kiri core route with your carbon blade,  (and seeing as you're not using medials) I'd recommend you not go any thinner with your core than about 2.8mm, as you'll need the extra lateral stiffness. If you're using a woven carbon however (instead of the thinner carbon matting) then you can afford to go as low as 2.5mm, as the woven fabrics are far stiffer and harder than the matting.

Good luck with your build, and please let us all know how you go