OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Hallmark Aurora
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2009, 02:57 

So, have anybody here ever used a Hallmark blade? Are they any good?
What about Aurora?

Its a combination blade, so one side of the blade is Off, and the other is Def (supposedly)

Its low weight, has balsa (obviously) and has an anti vibration system.

http://www.hallmarktt.co.uk/e-comb.php

I would really appreciate if anyone can tell me how really slow is the BH, and I can use SP Bty Raystorm to block and smash with it :D

Cheers

Galaxy T-11+
FH: Donic Bluefire M3
BH: SpinLord Dornenglanz II (OX)

Post subject: Re: Hallmark Aurora
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2009, 03:53 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
The Aurora is a nice blade. Oversized, but not huge. I disagree with their rating of OFF/DEF. The difference isn't that large. I'd say it's more ALL+/ALL-.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2009, 05:21 
Super User

I find the Aurora fast side too fast for my loop forehand, but agree with MNNB saying its ALL+.
The defensive side is slower, but no slower than a Stiga Classic Allround. I'm looking to try other blades to find something slower.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2009, 15:30 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

I love the Aurora, the feel for a def blade is really something else, as compared with other def blades I have tried that have alot of vibration.
The Anti Vibration System really does work.

It much thinner than say a Firewallplus and a Cayman.

Speed on bothsides differs, I would say all+ on the fh and def on bh (I used a fast tensor on fh and a very slow meteor 8512ox BH)
Wood is different on each side (outer ply) and the balsa layer on BH is more thicker than the fh.

Cheers. MM

P.S Here are some other reviews I found in the "equipment review index"
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7100
viewtopic.php?t=140

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2009, 17:20 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Moggy wrote:
I find the Aurora fast side too fast for my loop forehand, but agree with MNNB saying its ALL+.
The defensive side is slower, but no slower than a Stiga Classic Allround. I'm looking to try other blades to find something slower.

Have you been successful in this, what have you come up with?
Like you, i'm looking at this too!

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2009, 04:20 
Super User

Mozzy, I've managed to calm the Aurora forehand by using a 1mm G888 Tacky. The blade speed and tacky works well for looping and is great for hitting through spin.

As far as a more defensive blade goes I am thinking about the TSP Balsa 2.5 Defence, has anyone else tried this?

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2009, 06:00 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Moggy wrote:
Mozzy, I've managed to calm the Aurora forehand by using a 1mm G888 Tacky. The blade speed and tacky works well for looping and is great for hitting through spin.

As far as a more defensive blade goes I am thinking about the TSP Balsa 2.5 Defence, has anyone else tried this?

I think the Aurora, Def side works better when there is a firm fat sponged rubber on the off side to help with control and absorption of speed/power through the blade from the def side!

I have made many experiments to draw this conclusion and i would presume this applies to all blades!

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2009, 09:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

As far as a more defensive blade goes I am thinking about the TSP Balsa 2.5 Defence, has anyone else tried this?[/quote]

I think the TSP 2.5 is one of the finest blades I have ever used, but I trim the head down to 4.5 dimensions since I don't like large head blades.
tOD

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2009, 05:14 
Super User

@mozzy - I'd sort of come to this conclusion as well. So not only does the rubber effect the ball, but it also effects the way the rubber on the other side hits the ball. Why can't things be simple :?
There's another thread discussing the same http://forums.oneofakindtrading.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7887

@tOD - thanks for the feedback. I also cut down blades so all my older rubbers fit - i just need to cut it a bit straighter than my last effort :lol:

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2009, 07:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Moggy wrote:
@mozzy - I'd sort of come to this conclusion as well. So not only does the rubber effect the ball, but it also effects the way the rubber on the other side hits the ball. Why can't things be simple :?
There's another thread discussing the same http://forums.oneofakindtrading.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7887

@tOD - thanks for the feedback. I also cut down blades so all my older rubbers fit - i just need to cut it a bit straighter than my last effort :lol:

I used to have problems making/keeping the cut down versions symmetrical, until I made my templates with a notch for the handle. That works a treat and you are welcome

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2009, 06:02 
Super User

I went up the subject on the Aurora which is a blade that has always interested me but not yet tested.
I have reasons to believe he might suit me. To you to confirm or deny.
I await your opinions!

I play close to the table with a Bomb Talent ox in my BH and Friendship 729FX blue sponge 1mm in my FH.
The basis of my game is push aggressive and reversed with my BH to cause mistake, or combine with a heavy hits with my FH.
I would say that my mix of shots is + / - the following:

BH: Push aggressive: 70% + block passive or active 20% and attack 10% (mainly on long service with lift).
FH: Push with heavy backspin cut 40% + block 30% + Heavy hits 20% (occasionally I do a loop> 5%).

Currently I'm playing with the Stiga Allround Evolution. He suits me well enough to the BH and
FH. The only worry I have is to hit with the FH that is not so great.

When I tried the Galaxy LQ-2, I loved the feel when hitting with the FH. This wood is a OFF (perhaps off-) blade, but certainly not DEF or ALL. He meets, I think, some characteristics of the Aurora (balsa, hard feel FH, FH speed ,...).
The problem that I encountered with the LQ-2 was on the BH side how was too fast. My agressive push was quite difficult and the ball went up.
If my blade is too fast on the BH side, I hold my shot, and I can no longer do my aggressive push how is all the basis of my game

The question is. Would the Aurora meet my expectings for my BH pushes and my FH smashes?

Thank you for your opinion.

Blade: Dotec Ovtcharov All +

FH: Friendship 802-40 2mm
BH: DMS Transformer 1mm

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2009, 06:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
I did not like the aurora blade. It is very different from the LQ-2 blade you mentioned-both in speed and shape. Aurora has a short handle compared to most other defensive blades and a wider head. I much prefer how the LQ 2 and other blades for off the table defense.

You sound like you like to play a close to the table block and push game on BH. It sounds like your current blade may suit you better

I agree with all the other posters-the blades two sides are not that different-kind of an ALL feel to me or ALL/ALL-.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2009, 06:54 
Super User

vanjr wrote:
You sound like you like to play a close to the table block and push game on BH. It sounds like your current blade may suit you better.

How different will be Stiga Allround Evolution and Aurora in your opinion?

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 05:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
I am not sure. But by your own words you say you like it. I just don't think the hallmark aurora is going to add much to what you have. Hallmark makes good stuff. If you were playing with something too fast then the aurora may be a good idea. But to get it to help with FH smashes seems to be not helpful. Any blade can do smashes.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 07:48 
Super User

vanjr wrote:
But to get it to help with FH smashes seems to be not helpful. Any blade can do smashes.

Off-course, you can smash with any blade, but better with some of them. That's why I spoke about the LQ-2 how was so fantastic for this kind of stroke.
When I reed reviews, it seems that the Aurora would be faster and harder on the FH side that the Stiga Allround Evolution. That's what I'm expecting.