OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:34

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Hexer Powersponge ?
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2010, 01:05 

Have anyone tried this yet?
How is it compared to Hexer+? :)

Post subject: Re: Hexer Powersponge ?
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2010, 21:24 

Ordered a pair, but not arrived yet. I'm hoping for something with more glue feel than Baracuda etc.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2010, 22:47 

Yea :)

Let me hear you oppinion when you have tried it :) remember to tell the blade :D

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2010, 07:10 

I've used it for 2 sessions. Blade is TBS.

Sheet is a bit lighter than Vega Euro and Baracuda. Not sure it's lighter than Boost TC or Roundell Soft. Probably in between these and Vega Euro. Sponge is significantly softer than Vega Euro and also TC.

Throw is a bit lower than Baracuda and T05. Higher than Boost TC. Can be classifier Med+.

Spin on slow strokes is nice. May be just a bit lower than Baracuda, Also lower than T05. One of the easiest for openers/lifting pushes. Decent for serving and pushing. Spin is something like Sriver and Mark V here. Better spin with higher toss on serves due to softer sponge.

Looping is a breeze. Feel is great. Spin is very very nice Maybe just a bit lower arc than Baracuda and quite similiar. Accuracy and consistency is top notch. Best spin achieved during medium to medium high paced shots. Not a power looper rubber since it gets close bottoming. Sound is also very good. Starts "clicking" right away. Glue feel is quite similiar to med-soft Tensors.

Overall speed is quite similiar to Baracuda. Maybe a bit faster during slower strokes due to more bouncy nature.

Blocking is very very good. With a stiff fastish blade like TBS, many winners can be achieved.

I can say it's amazingly easy rubber to play with. Anyone looking for a soft (not extreme like Big Slams) grippy rubber this may be the answer. Sound and feel really adds some joy when using this rubber. Controlled loopers will probably love it. But don't be fooled by the name. It's not a more powerful version of the regular Hexer.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2010, 20:50 

Thank you, for your review.

Have you tried to Flip with it? How is that?
Have you tried to make underspin? :)

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2010, 19:44 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

ahlmo, it's a slower and more controlled version of Hexer, with soft sponge to make looping very forgiving.

Of course you can flip and create underspin with it? :?:

This rubber will help your game become a lot more consistant, than the Tenergy 05 Fx you commented on in another thread (based on full T05 Fx reviews on other sites).

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2010, 06:08 

ahlmo wrote:
Thank you, for your review.

Have you tried to Flip with it? How is that?
Have you tried to make underspin? :)

I think flipping possible with all rubbers if you're aware of and used to the rubber's behaviour there. Some players flip easier with grippier rubbers (Tenergy, Chinese) and some with less (Boost, Older Tensors). Stroke or the bat angle changes a bit, that's all. Backspin is quite good, but note that I'm not a chopper.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2010, 00:40 
The Twiddler

I posted this in the original Hexer thread, but it's about the Power-Sponge version....

------------------------

Just a quick update here after my match last night (which we won 5-0 ) with Hexer Power-Sponge

It's not just Hexer, but all of these Tensor rubbers seem to mellow a bit after a few hours of play. I always find that when you glue a new sheet on, it's a bit springy to start with and the ball tends to fly long off the end of the table. Anyway, the good news is that my Hexer Power-Sponge has now mellowed and feels great

This rubber feels a lot different to the regular Hexer rubber. Firstly the throw is almost identical to Roxon, so for me personally, I didn't have any problems in adjusting to it.

It does have many gears as well, which makes it very good for both the short close game and also for hitting. I played a few short touches back last night that stayed low over the net with great control. It really does excel in this area!

Blocking with it (not that I do it much because I play with pips on my backhand) is very good as well. The ball doesn't kick off the rubber when blocking and the control when directing it back onto the table is extremely accurate.

Looping is a joy! Brush loops carry large amounts of spin that kick off the table very well. When you need to put a bit of power in, the "Power-Sponge" really does allow the ball to sink into the sponge and catapults off! It feels like a trampoline effect!

Are there any faults to this rubber? For me personally, there is nothing that stands out as a problem with it. It has great control in the short close table game, great touch, easy to generate spin, fantastic to loop with and stunning to block with.

The problems I had with the original version of Hexer was that the gears were too wide. In other words, it could do very fast and very slow. The Power-Sponge version does have more gears than Roxon, but the control is MUCH better. This means that less fine adjustments are needed when hitting the ball and therefore less mistakes are made.

It also works very well with brush loops, much better than the original Hexer did. Again, this is the sponge as it allows the ball to sink into the rubber, rather than flying off too quickly.

So overall it does exactly what it says on the packaging. It's a better controlled version of an excellent rubber! It does all of the good things that the original Hexer did but without the annoying control issues.

It's a keeper for me :)

Dr Neubauer Gangster and Desperado 2 (testing both) OX

Butterfly Amicus Professional robot
-----
Ever tried, Ever failed? No Matter.
Try again, Fail Again, Fail Better!

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 02:14 

How is the hardness of the Hexer Powersponge? How is it compared to Andro Roxon 330 or Andro Plasma 380?
How does Powersponge play compared to Roxon 330 and Plasma 380?

thanks!

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2010, 22:42 
The Twiddler

pqspin wrote:
How is the hardness of the Hexer Powersponge? How is it compared to Andro Roxon 330 or Andro Plasma 380?
How does Powersponge play compared to Roxon 330 and Plasma 380?

thanks!

It's been a really long time since I've played with Andro Plasma 380, but from what I can remember, that had the softest of all of the sponges.

Hexer PowerSponge is a little bit harder than Roxon 330. The best way to describe it (from softest to hardest with the dots separating them in terms of difference), would be:

. Plasma 380
. Roxon 330
. Hexer PowerSponge
. Roxon 450
. Roxon 500

How does the PowerSponge compare to 380 and 330? Well I think Plasma 380 had great control, but it was a bit hard to hit with. Also looping wasn't that powerful. Roxon 330 moved that on a bit and it was easier to hit with. I also found the control of the Roxon 330 better than the Plasma 380.

PowerSponge moves that on again, especially with close control. When pushing the ball around, keeping it short and low over the net, nothing comes close for me than PowerSponge. It's just fantastic! Where Roxon 330 would pop up more, PowerSponge just keeps everything so much more controlled.

For hitting, the PowerSponge is much better again. It has better control than 380 and 330, but when you need a bit more power, it's there and is great to hit with. You can drive easily with it, but what it's best at is looping.

Finally, PowerSponge generates more spin much more easily than the 380 and 330.

Overall, I think it's a great rubber and if you like 380 and 330, I'm sure you'll like PowerSponge. I would add that I really didn't get on with the standard version of Hexer. It was good to start with, but I found the throw angle way too low. The PowerSponge version sorts all of that out and it's now my rubber of choice.

Hope this helps :)

Dr Neubauer Gangster and Desperado 2 (testing both) OX

Butterfly Amicus Professional robot
-----
Ever tried, Ever failed? No Matter.
Try again, Fail Again, Fail Better!

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2010, 09:23 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Wish I'd read this before buying Roxon 330 sheet last week :P .

Chris the Hexer seemed to have huge durability issues. Does the powersponge version have them too, or have you not had it long enough to tell?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2012, 20:37 
The Unprogrammable Player

I've decided not to make another thread but to revive this one.
So I've been playing with Hexer Powersponge (1,7mm on defence II blade) for about 5 weeks now and I'm in love with it. Want to know why?

Spin - can produce lots of spin in every department (looping, pushing, chopping). Use fast added wrist movement for super heavy spin on pushes. The only downside for me at the moment is that if I misjudge spin on my opponents services I'm done.. This rubber don't forgive that.

Control & Sound - The sound is quite loud and interesting, also it gives lots of feedback on your shots. You can tell from sound right away if the contact point and your swing was good for the shot or not. Control is very high, I am not a tiny bit scared to aim my shot at the white line.. I have lot's of trust in this rubber.

Flat hits - I have no idea why some people don't like soft rubbers for flat hitting game. I really like PS on defence II for this kind of play. I am hitting low pushes, high pushes, fast loops, spiny slow loops with confidence (If I can do a proper technical swing, It's a 1 hit winner all the time).

Loops - in general it's really good for every kind of loops. Rubber has enough power for me to play loop on loop game away from the table. Ball throw is about medium and its easy to add lots of sidespin on the ball, resulting in a really nice curve ball. Though on my defence II I am using power loops the most (less spin, but lots of speed and power) and try to 1 shot my opponents. Most of the time 1 shot is enough :)

Blocks - maybe it's my technique (or lack of it), but I don't like to block passively. It's quite hard for me to do. If I'm blocking I'm using aggressive blocks and that works nice for me :) This way opponents get a fast ball back and they have to work hard on their feet to do a second loop.

3) Ross Leidy "White Shadow" / P1R (1,3) / Hexer PS (1,7)

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2012, 22:43 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
NIce review, thanks Justas! :up:

I find soft-sponged rubber great to hit/smash with as well, so you're not the only one ;)

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2012, 23:08 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I used powersponge for a season or so before I switched over to Hexer+. It was ok, but lacked the power of Hexer+, making the "powersponge" something of a misnomer. It wasn't real slow, just not as fast as I liked coming from Roxon 450. More control than 450 for sure, especially in short game, as does the plus. I have a mate who loves the PS on both sides of his blade. He uses 1.9 on the BH and 2.1 on FH of a Stiga Kendo. He has a 2 wing looping game though. ;)

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2012, 23:22 
The Unprogrammable Player

Maybe it depends on the blade too much. At least on defence II (somewhat dead feeling, very linear) PS has lots of power. And of-course my stroke is maybe a bit longer than your average stroke. Maybe that's why I am not tempted to try something else :D

3) Ross Leidy "White Shadow" / P1R (1,3) / Hexer PS (1,7)