OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Jan 2021, 22:08

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2011, 23:01 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
Based on only 3 hours play in a single session but my thoughts are quite clear on this one....

1. The reviewer: UK local league player, play 4 leagues (all in the top divisions) and currently average around 80% wins. Allround/offensive game.

2. Physical Properties: Black topsheet on black sponge. Quite hard, until you hit the ball you'd think this is a typical chinese tacky rubber like 729. Sheet initially very tacky but a single clean lessens this significantly. Sponge is horrible to cut and crumbles somewhat even with a new blade; go carefully! I didn't weigh the sheet but it is clearly pretty heavy, at least as heavy as the G666 2.2mm it replaced.
This sheet is marked as 2.15mm.

3. Speed:
I'm trialling this rubber on backhand which is my weaker wing offensively. It is on a Nittaku Acoustic.
- Speed on slow strokes
This is a reasonably quick rubber IMO. As players have different definitions of what quick is I think the best I can do is compare to some other rubbers that I have used on the same wing;

BP is a lot quicker than DHS G666 2.2mm, unglued Globe 999 nat 2.2mm, 729 FX lightening 2.2.
BP is quicker than IQUL 2.0 regular sponge.
BP is a very different rubber to Palio CJ8000 japanese, but is probably still quicker in the short game (but a lot quicker on hard strokes).

** Importantly, BP is a quick rubber but it is not bouncy **

- Speed on power loops
I don't think the phrase "power loop" should be used when we are talking about my backhand. However, this is a really nice rubber for opening loops and generates a really nice mix of speed and spin.

- Speed on power drives/smashes
This rubber has very good speed when hitting flatter shots, far superior to any of the rubbers I listed above. I have Palio Macro Era max 47.5 degree on my forehand and there is not much difference between the two when you are hitting hard; the softer sponge of the PME means that I find I always need to use a little topspin to keep the ball on the table, the BP is harder so you can hit flatter and get more speed.

I was playing with regular practice partners and they immediately noticed the extra speed on my backhand.

4. Spin:
- Spin on a loops is probably the most meaningful information here, as others tend to be too subjective to strokes
Brush loops were absolutely fizzing with spin, very impressive. Driven shots seemed to deliver more in the speed department.

- Spin on serves/pushes
Spin on pushes was very good but I didn't feel I'd acheived acceptable consistency until the end of the session. This rubber seems to need very active strokes. The lack of consistency might have been that I hadn't played for a couple of weeks, and I'll have to see how this goes. This is my single biggest concern about the rubber.

Service spin was outstanding. I twiddled occasionally on service to use BP for FH chop serves and got regular partners to dump loads in the net. Other tacky rubbers didn't work so well for me using this tactic.

5. Control:
How easy it is to control the rubber on blocks, pushes (short game), loop placement, etc

Loop and drive placement is very good and, as mentioned before, the rubber delivers enough speed and spin to make these good quality shots. With G666 I found that whilst I could land the balls there often wasn't enough quality on them. You can hit some rippers with BP.

Blocking is great with this rubber, possibly its best quality. Blocking is one of the strongest aspects of my BH game and I look for quick blocks either out wide or into the body. This rubber delivers and has a nice low throw - more about that below.

6. Other Playing properties: Mention the Throw (ie for a loop, at what angle does the ball come off compared to other rubbers... ball going higher means higher throw), sensitivity to incoming spin, glue effect/feel, sound, rubber bottoming out on hard loops, etc

Throw is definitely low, which is usually a problem for me offensively but didn't seem to be so with BP. I think the level of speed and topsheet tack made it OK for me.

The rubber has a distinct sound to it - not a glue sound, but rather a wooden sound as if the blade were coming into play. As it was glued to the blade using Xiom water based glue it is nothing to do with VoCs.

Out of the pack the rubber was slightly domed; If you imagine the letter "C" to be the domed rubber the topsheet was to the left of the letter. It comes with an LKT tacky protector sheet which is a nice bonus.

I really can't see this rubber bottoming out except for the most exceptionally hard hitters, especially on backhand.

I have played tacky rubbers on my backhand for many years and spin sensitivity is just one of the prices you pay for the positives you gain. In the short game BP suffers just as much as the other tackies and you must play active strokes to impose your spin on the ball. On faster strokes the sensitivity seems less probably because of the increased speed and hard sponge keeping the dwell time short.

Importantly the rubber is very linear, I think because of the hard sponge.

7. Reference: Comparison with at least one rubbers on some of the factors above.

Speed comparisons already listed above. I can't recall playing with a rubber that delivers spinnier services; maybe T05 but that was quite some while ago. Brush looping also delivered huge spin, as much as any rubber I can recall. Driven shots seem to deliver better speed than spin, I guess I am not really engaging the sponge a lot on backhand.

8. Other comments Other unique properties...

Summary
Whether I continue with this rubber will depend on how I adapt to the speed and spin sensitivity in the short game. Everything else seems very well suited to my game and aspiration to become more offensively orientated. I will update this thread after a few more sessions, including a match tonight.

185g

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2011, 23:07 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Great review, thanks so_devo!!!

Did you find the throw high on brush loops, but low on harder loops or blocks, or was it low even for brush loops?

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2011, 23:19 

WOw!

this really helped me mate!
thanks...
i hope i can have time to review my old rubbers here..

BLADE - Donic JO Waldner Dicon
FH - RITC 729 super soft
BH - 729 Dr. Evil

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2011, 01:51 
Blockhead
Blockhead

haggisv wrote:
Great review, thanks so_devo!!!

Did you find the throw high on brush loops, but low on harder loops or blocks, or was it low even for brush loops?

Not particularly high, in fact probably quite low, but lifting the ball sufficiently seemed easy. Just a case of remembering to play a positive stroke each time, which is good technique anyway.

185g

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2011, 11:06 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Great review, I agree with all of that. For anyone that reads the review though just remember Red Diamond is almost the same but a better forehand rubber

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2011, 14:02 

Have you tried the LKT BP with golden cake sponge so_devo?

how would you compare it with the original version?

BLADE - Donic JO Waldner Dicon
FH - RITC 729 super soft
BH - 729 Dr. Evil

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2011, 18:22 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Candle. Lizard. Egg. wrote:
Have you tried the LKT BP with golden cake sponge so_devo?

how would you compare it with the original version?

No, never tried it but the reviews I have read of rubbers with that sponge have been pretty negative. I also have a number of other black rubbers 'in stock' to try (729-05, LKT XP pro, 999 japanese) so won't be trying the golden cake.

185g

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 22:20 
Blockhead
Blockhead

As promised I am updating this review. As the rubber was quite a bit faster than the G666 that I had been using there was an adjustment needed for the extra speed, also the fact that I hadn't managed to play at all over Christmas didn't help. Now that I have a few sessions behind me I feel quite comfortable with the short game using this rubber.

I'd also like to emphasise some of the strengths of it as now I have adjusted somewhat they shine through even more. For [fast] blocking, countering and punching this rubber is absolutely great. A combination of the low throw, hard sponge and decent speed make this a real strength. Whilst this has plenty of speed to be able to play away from the table occasionally it is at its best for me holding the table and when under attack returning the ball quickly to rob the opponent of time (mainly into the body or out wide to the FH after they run around). Passive blocks have very good speed and punches can be blistering.

After a number of sessions, cleaning and covering after each, it remains able to pick up and hold the ball for several seconds.

And to answer Alex's question, yes, all types of loop that I play have a low throw with this rubber.

The downsides remain those of most tacky chinese rubbers, i.e. weight and a degree of spin sensitivity on slower shots - plus the sponge is difficult to cut.

185g

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 00:59 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

SD, I gave this rubber a shot a few months back as well. I like your final statement in your first reveiw.

Black Power simply urges you to play more offensive table tennis.

Black Power gives you an increased ability to hit through balls to apply pressures or winners. That also nudges you towards going for more winning points that way.

Black Power did have some astounding spin on max swings as well. Speed was OK. Didn't feel as tacky to me, but I wipe the rubber on my shirt frequently and that kinda tends to make any Chinese rubber mildly tacky. (Just how I like it)

However, for me, Black Power did not have the touch, feel, and control (like T05) on the slower swings. It also felt like hitting with a brick. I like the heavy and solid feel of a brick like heavy bat, but the feeling on impact was not good for me, except on full power swings. I could use this on BH for my blocking and power hitting preferences, but I can get by with just about any rubber on BH. I used Dawei Super Power 2008 (a USD $6 rubber 40 degrees and Allround Off in nature) for months on my BH zero problems. Black Power did not cut it for me for the FH. Looks like it holds hope for you though and you can't say bad things about its price.

I bet Hookshot has more than a couple good things to say about Black Power. :)

Hit us up on FB or the Forum

Janitor at Nexy USA
http://www.NexyUSA.com
http://www.facebook.com/Nexyusa/

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 02:33 
Blockhead
Blockhead

I think all of the chinese hard-sponged tacky rubbers sacrifice a bit of feel - but somehow I seem able to place the ball well with them. Guess it depends what you are used to. My blade is quite soft which probably helps. Rubbers like IQUL (40 deg) and I'd guess the XP you refer to are to me not traditional chinese, the topsheets are tacky but tend to be a bit softer as are the sponges.

Players used to soft sponged or light rubbers will be unlikely to like BP.

185g

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 03:21 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
The first time I used BP, I put that on one side of a Yinhe W-1 and RD on the other. Did not take long to figure it was a backhand rubber. Lower throw than RD and not as much spin. The RD still remains a little tacky, the BP is not tacky at all. This is a spare bat I use for coaching now.

I have not tried anything with the golden cake sponge.

I have several RD rubbers. I really like it. But, one sheet acts different than the rest. It is very tacky compared to the others.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 03:46 
Blockhead
Blockhead

I'd agree with you both that it doesn't strike as a suitable FH rubber, although I haven't tried it on that wing (and don't intend to)

My sheet may be tacky still because I clean it after every session and use the supplied adhesive protector sheet.

185g

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 03:52 

I have two BP sheets. Both are the same, no tack after some use. I also clean and use protectors. A student has a BP on his forhand, does not clean as often, does not play as often and his is still a little tacky.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 09:26 

For all the reasons stated above and before, about BP being more suited for the backhand than the forehand, BP is excellent for penholders who want precise shots from both wings (traditional).

I played with RD for a while when in a "loop all the time if at all possible" mentality, but when wanted to play an all-around penhold game, with blocks, punches, hits and off-the-bounce-counters, BP served that purpose much better than RD, while still being able to pull off the offensive loop when needed. As TBH is very important to me still, so the trade-off is more than acceptable. Penholders who do not use TBH at all (ala Wang Hao) will probably be happier with RD on forehand.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 09:35 

I am playing more often now with Seemiller grip. I have RD as primary and I have no problem looping or blocking with it forhand or backhand side. :)