OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Jan 2021, 21:44

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2011, 02:34 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

I started the day by bussing to Nexy's HQ in SE Seoul. I played 5 hours straight the day prior in my first club when I got here, so I must have regained conciesness on the bus one stop too late, cause I got off the bus and it wasn't so familiar. I thought I got off one too early, so kept walking... 2miles until I hit the train station in freeking freezing frigid temps. It has been downright freezing the last few weeks. Oops, wait for another bus and go back.

That is how day started and the train/bus 2 hour travel back to the APT was something to wear you out as well.

Made it to Nexy HQ by 1400. Took time, got some rubbers - Sun and Venus II. Nexy recommend a tryout of Apollo (around USD low $20ish) Bought some Nexy shorts and a Blue Wind Nexy shirt. Got some discounted Tibhar shoes. My Outlaw was seperating from the sponge and topsheet, off it came and on glued Apollo to the Timo Boll Spirit.

Now that I was equipped, I was ready to have a hit. There was a Korean gent who looked every day of 50+ who just finished buying some gear, so Nexy had him hit with me. This dent could block, counter, and do pretty much whatever he wanted. He did this with the use of one leg, seemed like his other was prosthetic. He was a blocking machine for me and later, Nexy took me to Seoul National Uni (One of the most prestigious Uni in Korea, like how Harvard is to USA) for a meetup and knockaround with the SNU TTC squad.

Below are my first impressions of Apollo red max on FH of TBS.

Apollo was VERY tacky right out of the vacume pack. I few wipes on my sweaty shirt helped that become mildy tacky, just how I like a Chinese rubber. I did not have to change my blade angles much. I could loop at all speeds over and over and over right away with little adjustment. That was cool.

Overal speed on all strokes was a bit slower than Outlaw, but faster than T05. The spin and control on the slower strokes rivaled that of T05, with T05 getting the edge in spin a bit. Control and feel were there. Was really easy to give one of those slow to medium paced balls back real low with some mild topspin- those are the balls that are difficult to read the bounce and paralyse opponents. that is a cool feature.

Powerlooping and "Bang Impact" were SWEET. The forum will call me crazy for calling Outlaw a very controllable powerlooping rubber, but the kind of spin I generate with Outlaw on my powershots give me a LOT of control. Powerlooping and banging with Apollo were like using a fighter jet optics missile attack. Lock in, press the button, watch your opponent in front of you get blown up.

Continuous attack with Apollo was like cruise control as long as your movement to position and timing were there. The spin dropped each loop deep. It didn't have the same troubling kick as T05 does on the hookshots, but the kick is still pretty darned mean and you eventually assert your will upon your vicitim soon enough.

Serving was decent, just a tick under T05. There were no surprise dead rebound zones on Apollo. this rubber has the right spring on the slow, medium, and fast strokes.

FH flicking was right up there with Outlaw. (No one ever gives credit to Outlaw for a super duper job in flicking) On short cut serves (cut=chop in korean talk) I could make a dead no-spin or a topspin. Pushing was very predictable and spinny. Very stable rubber.

Overall positive aspects:

Control - Simply super control right away at all speeds with little adjustment needed form me. Took me months to learn control on slow/med strokes w/Outlaw.

Spin - All speeds of looping generate overwhelming spin. The Uni students had huge trouble with blocking long/out all night.

Weight - This rubber fely HEAVY with a Capital H. I like that, many do not.

Speed - better speed than T05, but a fraction less than Outlaw, with a bit less spin, yet still overwhelming spin

Few to zero adjustments required - This rubber performed like a cross between T05 and Outlaw right away.

Satisfaction, this rubber gave me nearly instant satisfaction. Only T05 has achieved this. Every other rubber I have tried took time to adjust to its qualities.

Negative aspects:

Cost - USD $5-$7 more than I am accustomed to paying for a Chinese rubber. Big deal. Next gripe, please.

Longevity - How long will this rubber perform at this level? Unknown at this time. Unknown is a negative until experience takes over. I get months of play from T05, but using a sheet of T05 that is over 4 weeks used is essentially driving a car with a V-8 engine using only 4-5 cylinders. What this one holds is a mystery for me to discover. Hope it holds it factory tuned power for at least another 10 days, when I do a 2 person team tourney of singles/doubles/Singles format.

Impressions of SNU TTC:

For such a high class Uni, the Atheletic dept doesn't give a crap if this team even existed. They have their tables (8 of them) setup on the third floor of the gym where people jog laps. Mind you, this hallway is very wide and there is actually more spacing between tables than there is in 90% of Korean clubs. Since there are young 20 something female Korean geniuses jogging around there all the time, this is a manageable problem. This also makes practice fun as you try to time your power hits to bounce off one of them while they are jogging by, kinda like shooting a cork gun at the ducks at the carnivals. This is not an easy task as it may seem, but fun to try.

The squad does get what little funding it gets where it is important - robot, collection net, and case after case, literally thousands of training and match balls. (Peace and Champion, with some Stiga mixed in)

The floor is HARD slippery large tile, think hotel lobby tile, but not as shiny. That actually helps you get a few more inches to your wide FH. you slide the last few where on a wood floor, you stop on a dime. However, playing more than 30 mnutes on this surface is a recipe for some major knee (Patella) pain, especially if you are more than twice the average age of these students.

The squad is pretty tight in fellowship and brotherhood. They stick together and that is not common in USA. I did not see a single female member - a big surprise to me. They wanted me back tomorrow, but I do not think my wife wants me to get back from the subway trip at midnight again, so I'll have to see them again another day, another mission. Note to self - eat something that day other than one small bowl of rice and 12 pieces of seaweed at 9 AM before travelling and training all day/evening.

Some of these UNI students are packed with money. Shouldn't be a surprise, many children of millionaires/billionaires go to this school along with those who are wunderkind smart and dead broke. Usually a student in Korea doesn't have enough cash to breath, let alone buy any drink other than water. Times have changed. if I wasn't married, I would have hung out with this crew all night, drank the sanitized water, and crash in one of their dorm room to repeat the process the next day. Alas, my family situation makes living in this fashion highly incompatable with that kind of lifestyle. I am no longer 21 and never be so again.

friendly - I highly recommend that anyone visiting Korea stop by this squad and check them out. Friendly as all letout. Nexy knows their email or he can post it to this thread. Their Naver website might require a Korean SSN to register, so that is difficult to do if you are not Korean, like myself who is not.

Hit us up on FB or the Forum

Janitor at Nexy USA
http://www.NexyUSA.com
http://www.facebook.com/Nexyusa/

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2011, 02:49 

Great read, love your adventures!

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2011, 08:21 
Two Winged Warrior

Der_Echte wrote:
Powerlooping and banging with Apollo were like using a fighter jet optics missile attack. Lock in, press the button, watch your opponent in front of you get blown up.

:rofl: I recognize that feeling, have that with H2 Neo once I'm in a rally. Make sure you can swing, swing, point is over :rofl:

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2011, 08:25 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Great review and story Der_Echte! :clap: :clap: :clap:

My perceptions of Apollo were similar, except i wasn't getting the speed on powerloops... I would guess the TBS would have given you that, whereas the soft tachi probably did not match too well.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2011, 12:27 

cstt wrote:
Der_Echte wrote:
Powerlooping and banging with Apollo were like using a fighter jet optics missile attack. Lock in, press the button, watch your opponent in front of you get blown up.

:rofl: I recognize that feeling, have that with H2 Neo once I'm in a rally. Make sure you can swing, swing, point is over :rofl:

Before I wrote that one-liner, I had to pause and think of something appealing to our crowd. Guys like expensive military technology along with destroying and blowing stuff up, so the choice of words was a no-brainer.

Hassisv, I see what you mean. I never hit with Roxon before, but one of the Uni kids had it on an Donic or Tibhar ALL blade. I swapped blades and hit some swings with both rubbers. Powerloops were very tame compared to my max hits with the TBS. Still fast enough with the ALL setup to get by the opponent, but did not blow a hole through the wall on the other end and leave a vapor trail.

Janitor at Nexy USA

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2011, 12:41 

Quote:
Hassisv, I see what you mean. I never hit with Roxon before, but one of the Uni kids had it on an Donic or Tibhar ALL blade. I swapped blades and hit some swings with both rubbers. Powerloops were very tame compared to my max hits with the TBS. Still fast enough with the ALL setup to get by the opponent, but did not blow a hole through the wall on the other end and leave a vapor trail.

I leave some of my superpowers on that blade, :lol:
With a blade over 200 gr and a powerful swing you can disintegrate the ball for sure.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2011, 13:43 

I think even with very light Gambler Outlaw, the TBS setup was well over 200 grams. With Apollo, add at least 10 grams to that total, minimum for starters. If I ever get invaded by enemy forces during a TT knockup, the enemy would get chunked by the TBS and have at least one down with severe head trauma.

EDIT: If I could rig the TBS with some sort of spring wire like in the Chinese KungFu movies, then I could quickly get the TBS back into my hands for another few strikes while on the move doing backflips over TT tables using them as a spring and jumping into confused enemy to mess them up even moar.

Janitor at Nexy USA

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2011, 14:13 

Hide your spare blade under the table and when your opponent get knocked out, quickly take the blade under the table. the referee won't know it was your fault.

If my setup is over 190 gr. my elbow cries every night really bad :(