OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 12 Nov 2019, 16:16

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Omega iv pro review
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2011, 00:15 

Put on a sheet last night and I could not be happier. I have played bryce glued (favorite) omega 2 and 3, roxon 500 and 450, thors. And other but none of them hold the same speed of this rubber.
A little bouncey on first contact but not as bad as on omega 2,3. Very firm spounge but not as hard as thors (no supprise there)

Allows me to counter hit loops flat. High throw

Pushes with great spin. Blocks well against high spinny loops.

I have very short srtrokes so I need the speed and it is by far the fastesr rubber I have used. (On a very hard carbon blade)

Gives me a loop with a little more speed with much less effort. I only loop to set up the kill never to rip it pass some body.

If the rubber will last 3 months and not change to much. I think I am done EJ again for a while.

Now just got to remember how to change the signature.

Tri-carbon HAMMER

Post subject: Re: Omega iv pro review
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2011, 00:48 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I think we call this a mini-review A-D! But cheers. What thickness and color is the rubber? And what is your approximate playing level? Faster than R450 and R500? That's pretty fast. How much faster would you say it is?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2011, 01:38 

Told you short stroke only.

Red 2.0
About like the differance from 450 to 500 as 500 to iv pro

Play 1900-1950 usatt. Not a looper. To old and no foot work.

Tri-carbon HAMMER

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2011, 23:23 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Thanks A-D! I think most older players tend not to loop so much as looping wasn't as commonly taught many years ago as it is now.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2011, 08:30 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thank for the mini-review anti-Don!

Looks like you figure out how to change the signature... hopefully you won't need to change it back in 3 months time :o :lol:

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2011, 08:54 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
REB, " I think most older players tend not to loop so much as looping wasn't as commonly taught many years ago as it is now."

Is this in Australia only? In the 50s and 60s, I remember three general types of play, Loopers, Choppers and hardbat. In the 50s, we had a visitor come to the club to show us a NEW stroke being used in Europe. The LOOP!

The visitor was Solshiff, (spelling?) He had just returned from a big tourney and showed us the stroke. He did a big, high, (3 feet over the net) brush loop. Everybody took turns trying to return it. Everyone started working on it and it was not long before you saw real loops. Looping started to take over chopping by number of players and most choppers were hardbat. I do not remember anyone talking about LP's. If they exhisted, I did not know about them. Looping was the in thing.

I tried the Omega IV Pro on a fast blade, (borrowed) and found it a very good rubber for speed and spin. Good at blocking, looping, countering.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2011, 19:06 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

hookshot wrote:
REB, " I think most older players tend not to loop so much as looping wasn't as commonly taught many years ago as it is now."

Is this in Australia only? In the 50s and 60s, I remember three general types of play, Loopers, Choppers and hardbat. In the 50s, we had a visitor come to the club to show us a NEW stroke being used in Europe. The LOOP!

The visitor was Solshiff, (spelling?) He had just returned from a big tourney and showed us the stroke. He did a big, high, (3 feet over the net) brush loop. Everybody took turns trying to return it. Everyone started working on it and it was not long before you saw real loops. Looping started to take over chopping by number of players and most choppers were hardbat. I do not remember anyone talking about LP's. If they exhisted, I did not know about them. Looping was the in thing.

I tried the Omega IV Pro on a fast blade, (borrowed) and found it a very good rubber for speed and spin. Good at blocking, looping, countering.

Still being lucky to have someone come to your area in the mid - late 50's and having general looping coached strokes from the 70's and 80's are a little different , mind you Reb's comments of wasn't taught too many years ago is a bit off lol

I played against the first player to bring this new loop shot to NZ in the late 50's , well I didn't play him in the late 50's but I played him last summer and they were my only two losses of the summer leauge were to him lol (Alan Tomlinson) who is now hoping to compete in the World Veterans over 80's in West Auckland New Zealand 2014

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2011, 19:08 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Any how back to the subject :lol: , I wouldn't mind trying this rubber myself

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2011, 20:14 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

rodderz wrote:
Still being lucky to have someone come to your area in the mid - late 50's and having general looping coached strokes from the 70's and 80's are a little different , mind you Reb's comments of wasn't taught too many years ago is a bit off lol

I didn't say wasn't taught. I said wasn't as commonly taught as it is today! Big difference for anyone who cares to read properly! :P

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2011, 20:36 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
rodderz wrote:

I didn't say wasn't taught. I said wasn't as commonly taught as it is today! Big difference for anyone who cares to read properly! :P

well thats not me lol, I read between the lines, but organised looping coaching has been around for a while, its just that you missed the boat :smirk:

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2011, 23:16 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

rodderz wrote:
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
rodderz wrote:

well thats not me lol, I read between the lines, but organised looping coaching has been around for a while, its just that you missed the boat :smirk:

You STILL don't get it do you? :headbang: Yes its been around a while, no I didn't miss any boat as I never tried to hop on any coaching boat (and I can and do loop anyway). Fact is though, it is taught MORE now then it used to be.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2011, 00:59 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

There were a few players looping at my club in the early 70s, few being the word, they were still outnumbered by chopper/hitters maybe 5 to 1 at that time. Pre internet, pre coaches and pre table tennis on TV the only way you could learn the loop existed back then was to see someone hit one and then copy it. So it's not at all surprising it took 15? years to move from Europe to the bush of Australia. Even when I was learning in the early 80s loopers were still less common than other styles. As far as I remember I was the only proper looper in the club as a kid, all the looping legends that played there during the 70s had moved on. My father had retired from TT but roughly showed me how the loop goes and I figured the rest out myself. I was treated pretty much how LP players are treated now as some kind of cheaters with an unfair advantage ;( . Quite funny if you think about it, back then no one knew how to return loops so as soon as you hit one it was the end of the point, now it's nothing more than the start of the rally, cracks me up how times have changed :)

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2011, 01:28 

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
I didn't say wasn't taught. I said wasn't as commonly taught as it is today! Big difference for anyone who cares to read properly!

I read it properly.
There are two things that make a difference, your location, Aus/U.S. and the years, 50's/70s.
Here, looping has always been at the front of coaching. You have to really search to find someone that teaches chopping. :)

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2012, 00:31 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

I have been very dissatisfied with the batch of Palio Blitz I bought. Palio have definitely changed the sponge - different coloured and far less dynamic than the earlier piece I had. Anyway, I am playing in a tournament on Sunday so, on Superhappyfunslider's recommendation, I threw a piece of Xiom Omega IV Pro (red) on my FH. I had my first decent hit with it tonight. This is my first (longish) review ever and I wouldn't place too much faith in it - after I have used the rubber a while longer I may be able to be somewhat more confident in my conclusions.

Reviewer: Usually an aggressive looper but due to injury I tend to loop slower and play a more controlled spin game. I guess I am around US2400 ish but fading fast. Use an old all-wood 5 ply Banda - probably in the ALL to ALL+ speed range. Have used Xiom Vega Europe and liked it but it did bottom out a bit back from the table.

Physical Properties: It feels bloody heavy! Weight never used to bother me but due to my shoulder problem I really notice it now. The surface is opaque - can't see the pips through it. The 'Carbo Sponge' (whatever) is black and - from memory - feels softer than the Vega Pro sponge. It is not extremely soft however (I can't push through to the wood) but more 'elastic' if that makes sense. (XIOM do bill it as 'Hyper Elasto') It is certainly not hard like those silly Chinese sponges.

Speed: Not really sure what to say here. Maybe medium fast in all areas although I suspect others may say it is fast. I definitely didn't experience any 'clicking sensation' like Xiom promised in their promo. (For what it's worth I did have some clicking with Vega Europe).

Spin: The spin and throw are perhaps medium+. Personally I would like a bit more however it's more than adequate.
Most of my opening loops tend to be slow and spinny and I had no problem there. A couple of loops against block didn't dip as I like but overall it was generally ok in that department. Spin on serves is medium+ but not spectacular. Spin on half-volley heavy pushes off serve was pretty good (perhaps due to the sponge?).

Control As my blade is not very fast I never really have any control issues with rubber. It was certainly fine for blocking and short pushing.

Other Playing Properties: Whilst I am usually sceptical when it comes to advertising slogans like 'Hyper Elasto' I will say that the elastic effect of the sponge is the distinguishing (and positive) characteristic of Omega IV Pro for me. This quality really comes into effect when counter-looping back from the table. Here the rubber has a unique soft and elastic feel about it which I really liked. This, combined with the fact that it didn't bottom out made the whole process of counter-looping back from the table quite pleasurable and easy. IMO this feel is quite different than that of glued up rubber (a comparison XIOM makes). Also, I had no problem half-volley counter-looping.

Reference: Being a proud EJ Boogyman my experience with different rubbers is negligible compared to many others. I will say that I don't think Omega IV Pro is a rubber I would compare to Tenergy 05 (as I would with Rasant). To me the 'feel' is qualitatively different. Others may disagree with this however.

Other Comments: IMO this is a good rubber but not suited to all. If you are a reasonably strong looper who likes to play back from the table you could well like it. However, if you are a developing player who tends to ply their trade closer in I would probably opt for a more straight-forward rubber with a touch more spin. Aside from the weight I suspect I will be reasonably happy with it and will use it until it wears out. After that I'm not sure if I will stick with it.

Last edited by carbonman on 13 Jul 2012, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2012, 09:59 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Nice review there carbonman! :up: :up: :up: Hoping for a lot more reviews 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: