OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 13:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Switching from SP's?
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2013, 14:40 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

I'm toying with the idea of switching from SP which I've now used for around 10 years to inverted. Over the years as my level has improved, so has my footwork and technique and I'm wondering if inverted might be a more viable option for me than it used to be. I have occasionally picked up team mates' bats and can loop like I never used to be able, I just don't have the necessary touch and angles through years of using SP. My SP game is based on a topspin stroke, more than classicly flat, tho I can and do hit a hard, flat ball.

So this summer I'm considering experimenting on my 2nd blade which is a version of the Perfect. I'll get the usual grass dtecs as my blade is set up to have a braking backhand and I (think) I can handle this on there. Question is, I'm so out of touch with inverted I have no idea what to go for in terms of rubber or sponge - last time I played it, I used Sriver and things have moved on! Any recommendations from my OOAK friends?

Maybe if anyone has a spare new sheet of something they don't want, I might be happy to trade with anyone who wants to sample SPs, either my beloved Tango Ultra or Express Ultra - I have sheets of both.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Switching from SP's?
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2013, 18:41 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
You're already using a spinny SP, so i don't think the adjustment will be that big. i would suggest you try a medium -soft tensor with ~2mm thick sponge, which will give you similar hitting power as the SP, but will give you the option of looping as will, and lifting backspin is going to be a load easier.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2013, 04:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

dingwol2 wrote:
I'm toying with the idea of switching from SP which I've now used for around 10 years to inverted. Over the years as my level has improved, so has my footwork and technique and I'm wondering if inverted might be a more viable option for me than it used to be. I have occasionally picked up team mates' bats and can loop like I never used to be able, I just don't have the necessary touch and angles through years of using SP. My SP game is based on a topspin stroke, more than classicly flat, tho I can and do hit a hard, flat ball.

So this summer I'm considering experimenting on my 2nd blade which is a version of the Perfect. I'll get the usual grass dtecs as my blade is set up to have a braking backhand and I (think) I can handle this on there. Question is, I'm so out of touch with inverted I have no idea what to go for in terms of rubber or sponge - last time I played it, I used Sriver and things have moved on! Any recommendations from my OOAK friends?

Thanks.

Despite the abundance of ultra high-tech smooth rubbers available today, the smooth rubber I always find easiest to switch to from my fh short pips is still Sriver FX 1.9 in black (not juiced in any way, just straight from the package).

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2013, 12:29 

i wouldnt suggest using a tacky rubber when coming from sp. not too high throwing grippy rubbers like T05, Baracuda or Bluefire either. maybe something medium throwing and very fast like calibra lt sound would be a very good transition

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2013, 12:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
DHS H2 Neo. It's hard and has low throw, just like many SP's. There's a US2000 rated player in Berkeley, CA who alternates between SP (Super SpinPips, iirc) and H2N.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2013, 19:26 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

Thanks all.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2013, 19:39 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

I bought a bluefire m3 2mm at my local league tournament yesterday, clearly hasn't read crackfst's comments below, lol. Will let you know what happens but my season is over now really so I won't get a chance to play much for a few months.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2013, 19:46 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

You should be playing MORE when the season is over.. more chance to muck around! ;)

BTW Got any big ideas for your 1000th post? Mine was "LOL" as I zipped past without realising. :swear: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2013, 21:03 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

Mmm, need to give the 1000th post a little thought. Would hate to waste that landmark opportunity. Lol.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2013, 10:01 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
You might have to change. Joola Tango Ultra seems to be getting pretty scarce at most suppliers. Are they planning to discontinue it or something?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2013, 15:38 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

mynamenotbob wrote:
You might have to change. Joola Tango Ultra seems to be getting pretty scarce at most suppliers. Are they planning to discontinue it or something?

Now that would be a tragic event. I think this is by far the best Joola SP in their range and a great rubber. I've not noticed its hard to get hold of here in the uk, in fact all our best known sellers seem to carry it. I hope you're wrong on this front.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2013, 09:18 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

10 minute knock before tonight's match with the bluefire. Mmm, interesting indeed. There is a conventional forehand lurking in there somewhere after all. Think the experiment will be interesting this summer.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2013, 09:29 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

You'll have a lot more contrast between FH and BH, and you'll be able to bring more spin into the game too, which should suit the LPs ;) The M3 is relatively soft, so I'd expect you could still hit quite well.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2013, 03:41 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

It was quite an exciting 10 mins knock. After putting the ball off the end for the first few hits, I then adjusted the bat angle pretty well and was playing much of my normal game, which is pretty attacking anyway, but just with added spin and dip. The M3 sounds amazing! I handed it over to my mate who plays Tenergy - he was impressed with it too. I had a smile on my face throughout.

I have now ordered a second sheet and will test that on my first choice blade, the Tachi, against it already loaded on my Perfect. I'll keep my dtecs (new) OX on the Tachi and contrast that against the dtecs special OX which is the pre-tensioned one from Contra on the perfect.

It was funny picking up my usual bat again after. Dumped the first 5 forehands into the net!

So, I feel strangely keen considering the season is over. Haggisv, I agree, the increased contrast could be interesting. I don't doubt I can adapt to this now. I just need to find enough time in the off season to practice with, not always easy with a young babe at home. Not only will I be testing my TT skills but also my negotiating skills with the boss back home!

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2013, 03:46 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

Ok, now for silly questions as I'm so out of touch on inverted and tenors - other than a quick clean in between ends the sp's are low maintenance.

Rubber care. Any top tips please?