OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 10 Apr 2024, 15:48

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Victas Vs>401
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2013, 00:00 
Super User

Blade: Donic alligator combi
FH: FS Bloom Power max.
BH: TSP curl P4 1,0mm
Can someone compare it to something like a xiom vega asia? Speedwise and gripwise.

I'm having problems brushlooping with ESN rubbers because of the lack of grip compared to chinese rubbers.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2013, 00:56 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

Coxeroni wrote:
Seems to be a technical issue, because I am generating loads of spin with loops with the 401 on my VKM. I can nicely switch between brush looping for high spin balls and more direct hitting at loops for more power.

Compared to springy ESN rubbers, you always have to perform a proper stroke at loops. But if you do, you are rewarded with well controllable, spinny and fast loops. This is one of the best features of the rubber, I always know in advance, what I can get out of it.

i thought tenergy was an auto pilot rubber. well at least thats how it feels to me...

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2013, 03:00 
Super User

Blade: TT Piet Homemade 6 ply
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X
I had bought a sheet of red 1.8 mm Victas VS-401 about 4 months back and didn't have time to work with it till now because I was trying to get ready for a big tourney recently. Then the other day I found out the red 1.8 mm Rakza 7 Soft I've been using went on a good sale, I decided I had better give it the VS-401 a good test because I didn't want to order more Rakza and THEN find out later that the VS-401 worked better.

My biggest problem lately has been that I have a hard time chopping back fast and/or spinny loops to my inverted forehand. I figured that based on the reviews, if ANY inverted was going to help, it would be the VS-401.

My Rakza is getting worn (3 months times 125 hrs per month), and so I took it off and glued it on the VS-401. My first impressions were that it was slower, but not super slow, and made the paddle much heavier. Inverted chops were landing more consistently, but inverted topspins suffered from going into the net very often, possibly due to a throw angle difference, perhaps compounded by the lower speed. Spin on serves was good, but noticeably not as good as the Rakza, and I would say less than the Narucross GS Soft I had before that. According to the person I was hitting with, I had less spin on the VS-401 on loops or chops as well.

After a couple hours the paddle was getting heavy, and then I lost a game to a player I usually win against, so after that game, I took the VS-401 off and put the old Rakza back on, went back to playing the match, and won the next 3 games.

I think that I could adjust to the throw angle in time, but the weight really slowed me down on my oversized blade, to the point where I don't think I was swinging it fast enough to get the speed or spin from it. I suppose I could reduce the size of the blade, but its really been chopping well on backhand and at the table on forehand, so I'd rather leave it alone.

I guess I need to find another way to solve my "can't chop back spinny loops" problem.

Blade: TTPiet OFF-/ALL custom
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2013, 03:53 
Super User

brokkie wrote:
Can someone compare it to something like a xiom vega asia? Speedwise and gripwise.

The Vega Asia is much more lively, faster and has very high arc - unfortunately also with blocks.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2013, 04:03 
Super User

Old-Man-Southpaw wrote:
... but inverted topspins suffered from going into the net very often,...

At first I had the same problem. Then I hit the ball when it was going down instead at the climax. This resulted in a much more powerful topspin with heavy rotation. Taking the ball this way forces me to hit it strictly tangentially. At the climax there is more lateral hitting due to my deficient technique.

At the moment I am staggering between T05 (my favorite, but the price !) and the 401. In addition I tried* the Vega Japan, very good rubber but not as spinny as the other ones (=> less direct point upon dirty servings). My last experiment will be a classical H3 drowned in Falco long-term booster.

* p.s. taking the costs for my searches into account I could play T05 for the next 10 years :oops: .

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2014, 07:49 
The King

After reading about it on the German forums I ordered a 2 sheets of yasaka era, 1.5 and 2.0 mm. Quite surprisingly the 2.0 version is more than a little bit like the victas 401. Amazing spin on chops, similar sound when hitting the ball and decent on attacks. I think I would have a hard time saying which is which in a blind test. Yasaka era highly recommended, I am now using the version with 39-40 degree sponge.

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2014, 08:09 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks Elvis56 :up:

That version is made by Palio in China, and is not an official Yasaka Japan product.

I've used it in the past (many years ago) and I did like the feeling and the spin, but the sheets did suffer from consistancy and quality from batch to batch. They are certainly not up to the Yasaka Japan standard, but of course if you get a good sheet, that's not really an issue. ;)

I've just starting using the 401 myself (1.5mm), and absolutely love it... will review later. ;)

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2014, 10:17 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Well, I had one in 2,0mm red. I found the attacking capabilities of the Victas 401 very good. You could really load up the spin. But in defense and service it lacked the spin I've got with my Tenergy 80 (in 1,7). You need to be spot on to chop a good ball, otherwise you get a quite harmless ball. And as a defender it's not possible to be always in the right place. Even pushes weren't loaded like they are with Tenergy 80.

I found it to be a modern defensive rubber with an emphasis on attack. But it's not for more defensive modern defenders.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2014, 17:08 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Lorre wrote:
Well, I had one in 2,0mm red. I found the attacking capabilities of the Victas 401 very good. You could really load up the spin. But in defense and service it lacked the spin I've got with my Tenergy 80 (in 1,7). You need to be spot on to chop a good ball, otherwise you get a quite harmless ball. And as a defender it's not possible to be always in the right place. Even pushes weren't loaded like they are with Tenergy 80.

I found it to be a modern defensive rubber with an emphasis on attack. But it's not for more defensive modern defenders.

Lorre, you might need to break it in for a few more sessions perhaps? I find that spin on pushes is amazing with Victas, that is where it really shines (along with slow spinny loops). But it might need a soft blade for that. I have only tried it on my VKM.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2014, 19:41 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Def-attack wrote:
Lorre, you might need to break it in for a few more sessions perhaps? I find that spin on pushes is amazing with Victas, that is where it really shines (along with slow spinny loops). But it might need a soft blade for that. I have only tried it on my VKM.

Yes I found the same too... my pushes are very heavy, which is one of the things I thought it excelled at.
Perhaps it's because of a slightly different stroke... I push mine like with a Chinese rubber, just brushing the surface, but with T80 you need to dig it on more, then you get the heavy backspin.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2014, 21:36 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
haggisv wrote:
Def-attack wrote:

Yes I found the same too... my pushes are very heavy, which is one of the things I thought it excelled at.
Perhaps it's because of a slightly different stroke... I push mine like with a Chinese rubber, just brushing the surface, but with T80 you need to dig it on more, then you get the heavy backspin.

Haggisv, have you tried it in 2,0? How big is the difference? I get some pain in my wrist and shoulder after playing and when I changed to VKM with 2,0 mm >401 it got worse. The over all weight is about the same as my previous setup but the balance is different. I am thinking of trying it in 1,8 mm or 1,5 mm but I wonder how much slower it would get and if its ability to generate would change. Any input?

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2014, 22:40 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Def-attack wrote:

haggisv wrote:
Yes I found the same too... my pushes are very heavy, which is one of the things I thought it excelled at. Perhaps it's because of a slightly different stroke... I push mine like with a Chinese rubber, just brushing the surface, but with T80 you need to dig it on more, then you get the heavy backspin.

I used the rubber for +-16 hours (2 weeks), so it would need to be broking in, wouldn't it?
I found, when I pushed with a longer stroke, the resulting ball was heavy enough, but still not as heavy as with my Tenergy. As a defender this is not ideal: my stroke with my Tenergy is shorter (more with the wrist).
How do I only brush the surface instead of letting it dig in?

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2014, 21:49 
Super User

Blade: Donic alligator combi
FH: FS Bloom Power max.
BH: TSP curl P4 1,0mm
To bad they don't make it in 2.2 mm.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2014, 07:08 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

2.0mm is probably enough for most people, as it's feel quite firm. I think the very short pimples make it feel former too. I can loop quite effectively even with 1.5mm, although I'll probably change to 1.8mm or 2.0mm for that little extra on hard loops.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2014, 18:43 

Def-attack wrote:
haggisv wrote:
Def-attack wrote:

Haggisv, have you tried it in 2,0? How big is the difference? I get some pain in my wrist and shoulder after playing and when I changed to VKM with 2,0 mm >401 it got worse. The over all weight is about the same as my previous setup but the balance is different. I am thinking of trying it in 1,8 mm or 1,5 mm but I wonder how much slower it would get and if its ability to generate would change. Any input?

1.5mm is good enough for topspin on the VKM blade. Since the tensor top sheet of the 401 is thick, there is no need for me to use thicker sponge than 1.5mm for proper topspin game. In addition with 1.5mm sponge you will have less weight, more control and the blade will not be head heavy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next