OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tenergy 80 FX review
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 16:36 

ChrisBuer wrote:
Strongpong / Haggis,

Your comments about the 80-FX having a higher throw, bouncier feel and the balls going long all sound familiar. They sound familiar because this is exactly what happens to me when I put a new sheet of 05-FX on my blade.

It always takes a few matches before the rubber beds in and that bouncy / springy nature calms down. Therefore I wonder how much of this bouncy nature is due to the rubber being new (Alex does allude to this in his review).

I might be completely wrong as I've never played with 80-FX, but I'd be interested to hear what it feels like after a few more hours of play.

Good point. Will consider this on any updates.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 18:35 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I'll keep both rubbers on the blade for a while (unless strongpong wants his T05FX back soon :oops: ), so we can test again after a few sessions.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 21:01 

no hurry. .....

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2014, 23:11 
The Twiddler

Hi Alex,

I wondered if there were any further updates regarding the 80-FX?

Dr Neubauer Gangster and Desperado 2 (testing both) OX

Butterfly Amicus Professional robot
-----
Ever tried, Ever failed? No Matter.
Try again, Fail Again, Fail Better!

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2014, 19:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I only had another brief hit with it. It seemed to feel a little less bouncy, but apart from that I did not notice much difference.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2014, 23:26 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2014, 10:42 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Nice video :up: , although personally I find my own type of review more useful, as it describes the characteristics in more detail than a video can, and it compares to the T05 FX, which is I think is more useful than the T05 which has both a harder sponge and different topsheet.

Just an update, that the Tenergy 80 FX will be available in 2.1mm and 1.9mm initially (available in AU within the next few days) with the 1.7mm available in a few months time.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2014, 23:23 
Super User

I saw a sheet of 80fx in action for the time this weekend. I didnt have a chance to hit with it, but the guy who had just glued it up was the most impressed with the control. He liked the control in all aspects, but most specifically blocking. He also said it was relatively fast but not overwhelming and he also didnt consider it very spinny.

This guy is usatt 1900 double wing looper. He tried the 80fx on both sides, but was playing with it mainly on his FH.

PostPosted: 07 May 2014, 00:11 
The Twiddler

I now have a sheet of Tenergy 80-FX glued onto my blade and will be playing with it for the first time tonight. I'm very excited to finally be trying it out and will post back some thoughts here tomorrow :)

-----

PostPosted: 07 May 2014, 07:53 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Hope you can make it work for you ChrisBuer :rock:

PostPosted: 07 May 2014, 18:26 
The Twiddler

Well I had my first hit with the Tenergy 80-FX last night and I have to say that it's very nice!

For reference, I've played with Tenergy 05-FX for the past two years and have put the 80-FX on the same blade, so I'm in a good position to compare the two.

The conditions I played at yesterday weren't fast and I'm playing at a better venue tonight, but I noticed the following differences:

- The 80-FX has better control....a lot better! It felt very easy to put the ball back on the table regardless of the pace, spin and speed that my opponent had put on the ball.

- 80-FX is a LOT less sensitive to spin. This was the biggest difference that I noticed between the two. It really doesn't get phased by spin on the ball in the way that 05-FX does. I had my team-mate loop about five balls in a row to me and I could just block every ball back onto the table without it kicking off the rubber. With 05-FX, the ball was a lot more difficult to keep down.

- I thought the throw on 80-FX was a little lower than 05-FX. Now this might have been the conditions I was playing at which were not fast, but because it is less sensitive to spin, the ball bounces off the rubber in more of a straight line. Therefore when hitting the ball, it didn't feel as if the ball was arching up as much. With 05-FX, I could get the ball to arc onto the table more easily. 80-FX still does arc, but I wasn't getting it to do it in such a pronounced way. However I must stress that this could have simply been the conditions and I will re-assess tonight when I play at my home venue which are better.

- I didn't feel that there was much difference in speed between the two. Again the conditions could have affected my judgement, but I couldn't say that one was faster or slower than the other.

- Spin? Hard to tell. I felt as if I was getting slightly less spin with 80-FX on loops, but on serves I was getting a lot. Again I'll re-assess this tonight, but I don't think there is very much difference between 05-FX.

Overall my initial impressions of 80-FX is that it is a better controlled and less sensitive to spin version of 05-FX. These aspects alone would make me choose this rubber over 05-FX because it is much much much easier to block topspin shots back onto the table.

I'll post more feedback tomorrow after I've used it again tonight :)

-----

PostPosted: 08 May 2014, 02:08 

ChrisBuer wrote:
Overall my initial impressions of 80-FX is that it is a better controlled and less sensitive to spin version of 05-FX. These aspects alone would make me choose this rubber over 05-FX because it is much much much easier to block topspin shots back onto the table.

Chris, three questions to you:

a) it would be natural to assume that with the much lower sensitivity comes somewhat lesser grip... does it?
b) can you comment on the weight - is it somewhere in between T-80 and T-05 FX?
c) does it bottom out later than T-05 FX... but probably sooner than T-80?

PostPosted: 08 May 2014, 19:21 
The Twiddler

JimTh wrote:
ChrisBuer wrote:

Chris, three questions to you:

a) it would be natural to assume that with the much lower sensitivity comes somewhat lesser grip... does it?
b) can you comment on the weight - is it somewhere in between T-80 and T-05 FX?
c) does it bottom out later than T-05 FX... but probably sooner than T-80?

Hi Jim,

Let me try and answer your questions:

a) The short answer is no, the top sheet feels just as grippy as 05-FX. However at the moment, I don't think I'm generating the same amount of spin with the 80-FX that I can with 05-FX. Let me try and explain why I think this is.

Firstly 80-FX is definitely faster than 05-FX. I played with it again last night, I lost 3-0 to a player who plays three divisions below me! The reason for this was that I was putting nearly all of the balls off the end of the table. Once I'd worked out the required force to brush the ball and get it to land on the table, I was OK, but I did find that a number of my loops (that my opponent normally pings up off the end of the table due to the topspin) were still coming back. Not all of them, but some of them. This suggested that I might be getting less spin from 80-FX compared to 05-FX.

However thinking about it logically, I think I was just being more cautious with my strokes due to the speed differential, therefore not brushing the ball as hard and thus imparting less speed and spin onto the ball.

b) I've not weighed the rubber, but it feels no different to 05-FX. I've not played with the regular Tenergy 80 so cannot comment on it's weight.

c) Again I can't comment on the regular 80 as I've not used it, but due to its harder sponge, I would imagine that it does not bottom out as quickly. However 05-FX and 80-FX do not feel any different in this area. It's very hard to tell as I've only had the rubber for a couple of days, but as an observation, I'd say due to its increased speed, 80-FX can produce the same speed ball that 05-FX but with less effort. Therefore you might find on high power shots, the 05-FX bottoms out more quickly to produce a fast ball whereas you can produce the same speed ball with 80-FX by not hitting it hard as. Does that make sense?

Just a few other observations that are probably worth adding after a second night with using 80-FX:

1.) I still think the overall control of 80-FX is better than 05-FX

2.) The ball seems to come off quite flat whereas with 05-FX, it seems to bounce up more. This makes it good for blocking but requires a change in the stroke when you loop the ball.

3.) 80-FX has required me to adjust my stroke very slightly. I'm so familiar with 05-FX that I feel I could almost close my eyes and hit the ball back onto the table. I know how much force to loop with and I can get the ball to dip. With the 80-FX, I'm still learning how it behaves and I need more time to work out the correct angles, etc. During passive play, the 80-FX feels very nice and easy to lift the ball over the net, easier that 05-FX. However it's the aggressive play through loops, flicks and smashes that I still need to work out. At the moment, if I put a big loop in with 05-FX it will arc and hit the table, but with 80-FX it would probably go long.

Overall I like 80-FX and will continue to use it. However if I was asked right now to pick a rubber to play in an important "must win" match, I'd stick a sheet of 05-FX on because I know how to play with it.

-----

PostPosted: 08 May 2014, 19:29 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

As I mention in my review, weight wise it's virtually the same as T05 FX, and lighter than T80.

It is interesting that you (ChrisBuer) mentioned that during passive play it's easier to lift a backspin ball over the net. I contributed that to a higher throw, at low-medium impact, although at higher impact it did not make much difference. The speed difference was significant in my tests too.

PostPosted: 10 May 2014, 18:31 
Super User

Played it yesterday in max. mm on a BBC X-Fusion TC ( 101 gr. ) on the FH

KISS report :

- very safe and easy to play... In fact one of the most easy to play Tenergys
- very high effet potential during service. this was a nice surprise :up:
- little less effet in all other game situations compared to T05 or T64 but still on a High level
- bouncing effect is there but easy to control and helps to get the right lenght also in non ideal stroke positions

Wanna play Tenergy ? ( Not a pro ? )
You may consider Tenergy 80 FX !
:rock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next