OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:02

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2015, 19:10 
Super User

Blade: AfroBro Custom
FH: Rasanter R53
BH: Vega X
radeB wrote:
Are you sure that Ventus Soft and Spin were bouncier?
I have Soft version and it is a rubber with exceptional control.

I'm glad you feel that way. Different people have different ideas on what "control" means though.

But yes, Ventus is bouncier. V>15 Limber is incredibly unbouncy in the low gears - surprisingly so. Note that I'm talking about simple bounce due to incoming speed, not spin. V>15 Limber has a grippier topsheet and is more spin sensitive, so you might find that it reacts more to incoming topspin than the Ventus range. So you might find you have worse control with V>15 Limber, and I might find that I have more control (and I find that I do).

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2015, 21:24 

Thank's :up:
I was thinking of switching to Spin version of the Ventus, and was considering Victas too, but the later two should be heavier and I don't like that.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2015, 22:07 
Super User

radeB wrote:
Thank's :up:
I was thinking of switching to Spin version of the Ventus, and was considering Victas too, but the later two should be heavier and I don't like that.

Totally right. Ventus is pretty light for a modern rubber, which is becoming a rare quality.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2015, 01:53 

How does the feeling of grip compare to the Donic Baracuda? What will be the weight approximately of it in 2.0mm?

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2015, 09:19 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
Played with the Victas V>15 Limber yesterday night, first table tennis session since two months.
I played (only) three matches with a DHS plastic ball (our club will play with plastic next year) and I was impressed how easy I could adjust from Donic Bluefire JP03 on JSH to V>15 on VKMO. Although I didn't play for a long time, I easily won all three matches (two against +/- equally rated players, one against a higher rated C2 (~USATT 2250)).

I'm not going to repeat what Andy Smith said about the rubber, I can confirm almost everything. The grip is fabulous and control fantastic. It plays maybe even more linear than JP03. I'm glad it's not a soft tensor(-like) rubber of the bouncy or non-lineair kind, like Stiga Calibra Sound or Tibhar Nimbus or even Xiom Yanus. Although my V>15 is in maximal thickness (and my JP03 is 1.8...), I didn't experience less control or disturbing bounciness. But I believe I had a little more power at away from the table loops.

Like JP03, the V>15 isn't very spin sensitive and like Andy said it is a pleasure to play with in the short game. But at the same time a lot of spin and power can be created by engaging the sponge.

Blocking, countering, fishing: it was hard NOT to get the ball on the table :-) (or was it just the plastic?).

In sum: so far, I like the rubber a lot

What I will try to do more next session:

- compare it in detail and side-by-side to JP03
- FH chopping

Last edited by Pipsy on 20 Aug 2015, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2015, 03:48 
Super User

Pipsy, I'm looking forward to your experience with FH chopping! I have stuck with Xiom Vega Japan 2.0mm for a long time now, but I'm always open to trying something new that comes along.

USATT Rating: 2013

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2015, 17:36 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

As expected, FH chopping was more difficult with V>15 than with JP03 1.8, probably because of the max thickness. I had the impression that spin sensitivity was higher, more grip, higher throw. To be continued, cause I just played some matches and didn't chop very much with FH.

I believe Vega Japan has a firmer sponge than V>15, right? All-in-all V>15 is a great all-rounder, in the good sense of the word!

ckhirnigs113 wrote:
Pipsy, I'm looking forward to your experience with FH chopping! I have stuck with Xiom Vega Japan 2.0mm for a long time now, but I'm always open to trying something new that comes along.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2015, 18:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Pipsy wrote:
As expected, FH chopping was more difficult with V>15 than with JP03 1.8, probably because of the max thickness. I had the impression that spin sensitivity was higher, more grip, higher throw. To be continued, cause I just played some matches and didn't chop very much with FH.

I believe Vega Japan has a firmer sponge than V>15, right? All-in-all V>15 is a great all-rounder, in the good sense of the word!

Yes, I reckon the Vega Japan is a little harder. The V>15 would no doubt be easier for chopping in 1.8mm.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2015, 01:55 
Super User

Until somebody tries it in a thinner sponge, and specifically tries FH chopping, I'll just stick to my very controllable Vega Japan 2.0mm.

Pipsy, I can't remember if you ever tried Vega Japan. I find it the most all-around rubber I have ever tried. I am always looking for a rubber that can do all things well (loop, chop, push, smash, lob, etc...). I suppose that's how you feel about the JP03 you use?

USATT Rating: 2013

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2015, 17:40 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

The advantage of the max sponge of my V>15 Limber is that it forces me to attack rather than to chop with FH. And I think that's the way to go if I want to survive in the higher division where I start this year.

Vega Japan sounds good but I think it would be a little too hard for my liking. I prefer soft (but not too soft and not too springy) sponges underneath my inverted rubbers. Especially on a hard blade like JSH or VKMO I think they're a great match.

ckhirnigs113 wrote:
Until somebody tries it in a thinner sponge, and specifically tries FH chopping, I'll just stick to my very controllable Vega Japan 2.0mm.

Pipsy, I can't remember if you ever tried Vega Japan. I find it the most all-around rubber I have ever tried. I am always looking for a rubber that can do all things well (loop, chop, push, smash, lob, etc...). I suppose that's how you feel about the JP03 you use?

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2015, 16:55 

What are the differences between T05 fx and V15?

Thks!

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2015, 05:39 

What are the differences between Victas V>01 Limber and Victas V>15 Limber?
I ask because I really like V>01 Limber.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2015, 21:19 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Johnny Erasure wrote:
What are the differences between Victas V>01 Limber and Victas V>15 Limber?
I ask because I really like V>01 Limber.

Johnny, please read the previous posts in this thread. AndySmith made an extensive review of the rubber and also compared it to V>01 Limber. A fragment:

Quote:
I used V>01 Limber for a while on the BH side, and V>15 limber is really different. V>01L seemed almost like an ESN retro throwback to me. At a time when a lot of the ESN range were becoming less flyaway and jumpy, V>01L came along and felt like an old-gen ESN experience (but with a better, grippier topsheet). It was soft, bouncy, loud, fast. I liked it a lot, but it was a bit unpredictable at times (while being a lot of fun).

V>15L is more of a child-of-the-times kind of rubber. Even though it's listed as 40deg, it plays firmer than that. The topsheet has the monster grip you see in current ESN offerings, but feels medium-elastic and predictable. During play it isn't overly bouncy and is very linear in the low/medium gears. Which is just excellent for my BH needs - you get heaps of spin on a brushy shot without a slingy response sending the ball too high. But you get a surprising level of stability on blocks and punches without huge spin sensitivity - I didn't feel like the rubber was washing out on direct shots. On harder shots you do get an extra elastic kick, and it's still a fast rubber overall.

I like the predictability of the V>15 Limber. It's good at all distances, for all strokes (now, how great is that?) and although my sheet is max thickness, I can still chop well with FH when I'm away from the table. I suppose V>01 Limber is bouncier, more dynamic (for optimists) or less predictable (for pessimists)

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2015, 05:07 
Super User

Pipsy wrote:
I like the predictability of the V>15 Limber. It's good at all distances, for all strokes (now, how great is that?) and although my sheet is max thickness, I can still chop well with FH when I'm away from the table. I suppose V>01 Limber is bouncier, more dynamic (for optimists) or less predictable (for pessimists)

Yeah, +1 top description.

I didn't reply to Johnny because I thought he had read my post and wanted other opinions.

I will say this - I used it for a while on my BH but became frustrated at the lack of bounce. I had to play an active stroke all the time, and I've become quite lazy over the years with bouncy BH rubbers. So I switched it to the FH side and boom! Like a dream.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2015, 08:27 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

:rock: :rock:

AndySmith wrote:

Yeah, +1 top description.

I didn't reply to Johnny because I thought he had read my post and wanted other opinions.

I will say this - I used it for a while on my BH but became frustrated at the lack of bounce. I had to play an active stroke all the time, and I've become quite lazy over the years with bouncy BH rubbers. So I switched it to the FH side and boom! Like a dream.

Pipsy wrote: